Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
SMC

I'm posting this here in case any of the MH folks have had this trouble.

We have a Torrey Pines 5ver and the shower door won't stay shut. There are magnets at the top of the door and for some reason they don't have any magnatisim in them. We bought a couple of small magnets at the hardware store, glued them on and they won't work either. I'm about to "jury rig" some velcro on the inside so the door stays shut when inside. It has a safety outside latch that works fine when on the road.

Any ideas?

We only have a couple of issues with our new Torrey Pines 5ver so will have to take it in to get this and the AC fixed. (Hard to fix the AC when it is snowing outside)

Thanks,

'06 Torrey Pines
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
SMC

I'm posting this here in case any of the MH folks have had this trouble.

We have a Torrey Pines 5ver and the shower door won't stay shut. There are magnets at the top of the door and for some reason they don't have any magnatisim in them. We bought a couple of small magnets at the hardware store, glued them on and they won't work either. I'm about to "jury rig" some velcro on the inside so the door stays shut when inside. It has a safety outside latch that works fine when on the road.

Any ideas?

We only have a couple of issues with our new Torrey Pines 5ver so will have to take it in to get this and the AC fixed. (Hard to fix the AC when it is snowing outside)

Thanks,

'06 Torrey Pines
Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #3

Some masking tape or duct tape is not an elegant solution but will work depending on how much effort you want to put into it and how often you move.

You could also invest a few pennies and pick up a small latch similar to something you would find on a small door or cabinet (There are tons in varying shapes, sizes and function) and install that on the metal assuming you can safely drill a hole or two without breaking the glass.

You could also look into getting a stronger magnet. I know you can get some pretty strong ones cheaply on ebay just be careful with them but a modest investment could pay off there as well.

So many options its all a matter how you want to do it and how much effort you want to put into making it look right

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #4

Here's a guess. First check the magnets by holding a pocket knife blade (or screwdriver) up to them. If they grab the knife the magnets are fine. If not, the magnets are bad.

Now, I suspect the door frame is aluminum/plastic. Magnets don't stick to aluminum. So, I am guessing there were a couple of small thin steel plates opposite the door magnets on or in or behind the door frame that have fallen off. You'll need to re-glue a steel (ferrous) plate on the frame opposite the door magnet to get it to stick again. Just a small scrap of steel from a sign or similar or maybe even a couple small nails glued together would be enough to get the magnetic "grip-tion" you need. You could even use another set of magnets, just make sure to rotate/orient them before gluing on the fame so they attract and not repel the door magnets.

Enjoy your science experiment! For more fun with magnets you can also make this !
Old 03-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
SMC

We bought 2 small magnets that would fit in the small edging on the inside edge of the door. Had to glue them on. We made sure they were oriented so they'd catch onto each other. But once glued on, they won't hold together. They do fine in my hand! It looks like the originals from the factory are at the top of the door. We added the new ones a few inches down.

That is why we're baffled...they worked fine in my hand, but not on the door.

Back to the drawing board. That is why I said maybe I'd figure out a way to use velcro on the inside when you're in the shower. The traveling lock outside works just fine, but we don't want to be "locked in" when taking a shower.

'06 Torrey Pines
Old 03-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
SMC

Forgot to mention...we did look at cabinet magnetic latches but they were too big to fit in the door frame.

We'll keep working on this minor, but frustrating problem.

'06 Torrey Pines
Old 03-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SMC:
Forgot to mention...we did look at cabinet magnetic latches but they were too big to fit in the door frame.

We'll keep working on this minor, but frustrating problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are the magnets repelling each other on the door? If they are flip one of them around and they will stick.

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SMC:
once glued on, they won't hold together. They do fine in my hand! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you by any chance in Roswell, NM?

I can see that "small but frustrating problem" turning into a quest! Good luck!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most of the Newmars I have had have a magnetic tape down the channel on locking side of door if you put some tape on frame and door just make sure you put tape on to attract one another not apose each other. Most of the time the locking latch is never operated and door stays shut.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:53 AM   #10
SMC

It seems we're in New Mexico...LOL

We made sure the magnets were on the "attraction side". Glued one to the door, and one to the opposing frame. But they don't stick together. Hum.... We also bought some magnetic tape but it is too wide for the channel on the door.

If it would warm up enough to want to be out there and work on it some more we may get it fixed. 15 this a.m. and snow, so we haven't been working out in the rig!

Suppposed to be heading out on the 17th for Az. so this project might have to wait until we get south to warmer weather.

Thanks again.

'06 Torrey Pines