RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 07:04 AM   #1

Keyless entry and Fob working intermittently

Our keyless entry and fob work intermittently. They consistently lock and unlock the basement doors however the front door only locks or unlocks about 75% of the time causing us to always take our coach keys. Had Newmar and the dealer both look and they could not locate the issue as it probably worked for them. Has anyone had this and have a view to the fix? 2017 DSDP Thanks

Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 08:00 AM   #2

Ours did that before and I changed the batteries.

NWLanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #3

X2 on the fob battery. My Harley was the same. Replaced the battery and it worked. Iím guessing itís the same concept.

Mark
Old 05-24-2018, 09:37 PM   #4

To clarify, the keyless entry pad by the door runs on 12 volt so not a battery issue. When the door pad doesnít work, the fob does not either.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:47 PM   #5

I would check the wiring between the keyless entry controller and the entrance door. Perhaps start with the connection between the door jamb and the door itself. There should be two spring loaded contacts in the jamb/door. Check the voltage level at these contacts when unlocking/locking. Depending on what you find you may be able to narrow the issue down to the wires before or after this point.

May also want to check the connections on the backside of the jamb contacts. I read a post recently where someone had the wire(s) work itís way loose.
flyboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:58 PM   #6

I would clean the contacts between the door and the door jam as stated. Then I would remove the contact mounting plate from the jam. Remove the wire connectors from behind the plate and replace them with good quality connectors. The type used are "Bean counter grade". Cheap and not so good.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:24 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I had a similar problem - it worked and then it didn't work. I tried all the standard things, FOB battery, cleaning the contacts, even reprogramming the brain - nothing helped. It continued to work intermittently. Then one day I was working on the door jamb area and began to look closely - it seems when the contacts were installed there was so much up and down play because of the over sized holes they made in the aluminum door jamb - the contacts weren't always making contact apparently. I made some modifications to the way they were attached and so far no more issues.
madmaxx52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #8

Check for interference from an electronic device plugged in some where in coach. That was my problem, an electronic picture frame display.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #9

Update

I think it is the spring loaded connectors in the door frame as someone suggested (Thanks). I removed one, checked the wiring and it was been working for the last four days. I also noticed our Entry Lock on the dash was not working either indicating it is not the keyless system but something more basic, like the connectors. Will be traveling over the next week and keep the thread updated.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy2006 View Post
I think it is the spring loaded connectors in the door frame as someone suggested (Thanks). I removed one, checked the wiring and it was been working for the last four days. I also noticed our Entry Lock on the dash was not working either indicating it is not the keyless system but something more basic, like the connectors. Will be traveling over the next week and keep the thread updated.
The dash door lock/unlock also goes through the door jam contacts as the actuation solenoid is mounted within the door. I would still suspect the contacts or, more likely, the connector behind the contact mounting plate.