Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2008, 04:35 AM   #1

Here is the situation: My MADP 4304 is parked at my residence in a dedicated RV site, plugged in to 50 amp service. The site is visible from my desk and the front driving lights and side marker lights just flashed, like someone unlocked the coach using a key fob or the keyless entry. The nearest street and home is 600' away from the coach. What is going on? As I mentioned, the coach is plugged in and drawing power for 2 space heaters (800 watts each). I like to keep the interior temperature from freezing which helps maintain a low level of humidity.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2008, 04:35 AM   #2

Here is the situation: My MADP 4304 is parked at my residence in a dedicated RV site, plugged in to 50 amp service. The site is visible from my desk and the front driving lights and side marker lights just flashed, like someone unlocked the coach using a key fob or the keyless entry. The nearest street and home is 600' away from the coach. What is going on? As I mentioned, the coach is plugged in and drawing power for 2 space heaters (800 watts each). I like to keep the interior temperature from freezing which helps maintain a low level of humidity.

Newmar Mountain Aire
Old 01-05-2008, 04:48 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I believe it's one of two things.

1. If the key fob is in your pocket, it's very easy for one of the buttons to be depressed, which I seem to do from time to time.

Especially the red panic button, which seems to be the one I manage to accidentally hit, and the air horns blowing will bring it to your attention.

2. The control unit for the key fob has been known to do strange things, and may need to be replaced.

On the DSDP, it's located under the dash access panel near the top of the dash.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:54 AM   #4

Is the control unit "plug and play" and easy to find? This happened while I was sitting at my desk, approximately 300' away and no keys in my pocket. It must have something to do with the demand for power as the heaters cycle on and off.

Newmar Mountain Aire
Old 01-05-2008, 05:27 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
They are not always easy to find, nor are they plug and play.

A new one has to be programmed, I believe.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:33 AM   #6

Sounds like something I will get to when I have no other choice. I noticed that you have a new Yukon. If you ever have trouble with your transmission, notify me. My 2007 was in the shop for almost 1 month before they found the source of my problem. Too much detail to get into on the forum. It was a faulty part that GM was not even aware of.

Newmar Mountain Aire
Old 01-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have programmed my own. It is a bit of a pain but, if you dig out the manual you can customize your programming.

For example, I added a third keyfob that I got during warranty repair.

You can call the company direct and they will help you too.

FYI, I had Newmar install a simple switch so that starting the engine didn't automatically lock the door. You see it was a pain to go outside and do a final check after starting the engine. However, this switch has to be on when making any adjustments to the programming.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm not sure the Dutch Star and the Mountain Aire have the same black box.

There was a previous discussion about Newmar using 2 different vendors.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #9

Scott, make sure your door is locked when you are in gear with your foot on the brake. I have had people open my door while standing still, foot on the brake and in gear.....then crack. The door wedge breaks.

Newmar Mountain Aire
Old 01-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Jerry not sure what you mean. The DW has opened the door while reversing to help w/visibility in a high glare situation. I do not have side view cameras.

Could you please explain a little bit more?
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Never open the door without the park brake on.

Take a look at THIS THREAD.

A Newmar tech gave me a spare wedge when I was at the factory.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #12

Scott, your door is most likely built by PTL and has a hook shaped nylon wedge screwed onto the hinge side of the door. A small air actuated disc situated on the hinge side of the door frame slides up against the wedge when the coach service brake is released. This disc and wedge pulls the door in tighter when going down the road. If you open the door when engaged, you can damage the wedge and disc mechanism. I have talked with the owner of PTL door about this since 5 or 6 have cracked on my coach (only 1 due to opening the door). He claims that Newmar could have added a switch that engages the door mechanism based on driving speed rather than the service brake. I now carry an extra and they can be purchased directly from PTL.

Newmar Mountain Aire
Old 01-06-2008, 03:25 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Jerry: Ya know, we too experienced "spook" flashing" in our 06 MADP. Occasionally, side & parking lights flashed and interior dash lights also. Finally, after a year of this, we think we found the problem. If bay compartment doors are not ALL closed securely and by this we mean ya hear a definite "click", those "spook" flashes would occur. In our case for example, when I closed the water/sewer bay door, letting it pretty much slam on it's own, I discovered that unless I then applied pressure from the outside onto the latch release area and heard another little "click" that although the baydoor was caught, something clicked when pressure applied....sure enough, if we experienced a spook flash, and I went outside and pressed on that baydoor latch, I'd invariably hear that "click" and the "spook" flash disappeared for the balance of our stay. Now I'm no tech or mechanic, and not sure this is your solution, BUT, we're convinced that was our problem. Steve & Lynette
Old 01-06-2008, 03:46 AM   #14

I will try anything to avoid replacing and electronic component. My water/sewar bay door lock is sticking and needs to be replaced. Thank you for the tip.

Newmar Mountain Aire