RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Desertboyz's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Could be anywhere
Posts: 491
Kib - black tank firmware update?? Help!

We've had hugely inaccurate level readings for both Gray and Black tanks since Day 2.

Some of you have advised of a Firmware/Software update to fix this. Has this taken care of the problem for you?
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Randy, Donald and Zoe (Rat Terrier)
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 K2/2016 Jeep Cherokee High Country
Desertboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
redbaron73's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,522
Blog Entries: 4
Yes. 100% functional. Reads 0% on all tanks immediately after dumping and gradually rises as expected.
I had them replace all the sensors and made sure they adhered. This took no less than 3 attempts. My original ones where curling on the ends.
__________________

__________________
2019 DSDP 4369 * FREIGHTLINER XCR * HWH ACTIVE AIR

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
superman11's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Yes. 100% functional. Reads 0% on all tanks immediately after dumping and gradually rises as expected.
I had them replace all the sensors and made sure they adhered. This took no less than 3 attempts. My original ones where curling on the ends.
Did you apply the update yourself or have the factory do it? I have this issue on my list of items to be addressed.
__________________
Have a Super Day! https://jeepsandrvs.com
Coach: 2019 Ventana LE 4037 "GiGi - Gypsy Girl"
TOAD: 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU "Rooster"
superman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
redbaron73's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,522
Blog Entries: 4
This was done at the factory.

All kib systems must be updated at the same time including light control panels. It is about an hour long update process.

After the update, I have one light panel that is flashing when off. This indicates a firmware mismatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
Did you apply the update yourself or have the factory do it? I have this issue on my list of items to be addressed.
__________________
2019 DSDP 4369 * FREIGHTLINER XCR * HWH ACTIVE AIR

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
superman11's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
This was done at the factory.

All kib systems must be updated at the same time including light control panels. It is about an hour long update process.

After the update, I have one light panel that is flashing when off. This indicates a firmware mismatch
Thanks RB! This was my assumption - but wanted to be sure.
__________________
Have a Super Day! https://jeepsandrvs.com
Coach: 2019 Ventana LE 4037 "GiGi - Gypsy Girl"
TOAD: 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU "Rooster"
superman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
ARD
Senior Member
 
ARD's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
We've had hugely inaccurate level readings for both Gray and Black tanks since Day 2.



Some of you have advised of a Firmware/Software update to fix this. Has this taken care of the problem for you?


Last year they replaced my sensors and changed the location of my water pump as it was affecting my sensors. It worked great for 8 months. Then I started having problems with the gray and black tanks again. As gray tank levels went up, black tank would go down to 10% when full.

At the factory now and they recalibrated the sensors and did an upgrade. BTW upgrade removes the always lit Newmar screen which now goes to a black screen. Tap on screen to wake it, tap bottom left where it says tanks and you have a new screen like the one in the 2020s. Crossing my fingers that this will last.
__________________
Renee (and Alfie & Sophie, Coton du Tulears)
2018 DSDP 4369
2017 GMC Yukon Denali
ARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Desertboyz's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Could be anywhere
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
This was done at the factory.

All kib systems must be updated at the same time including light control panels. It is about an hour long update process.

After the update, I have one light panel that is flashing when off. This indicates a firmware mismatch
It's gotten to the point that we've removed fuse F8. The gauges and lights were not functional.

We will be at NIRVC Las Vegas in February. Newmar has provided a reference number for them to refer to. Does that mean no run-around? I've got some follow-up to do before we arrive. We are not planning on being in Nappanee in the near future.

RedBaron - thank you for sharing your results and findings!
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Randy, Donald and Zoe (Rat Terrier)
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 K2/2016 Jeep Cherokee High Country
Desertboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
superman11's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 134
My tech is pushing back about doing a code upgrade on my coach. He is wanting to clean the tanks as he states that he thinks this is the issue. I could not disagree more, as I already clean them regularly. I am OK trying his way to a point.

He states that KIB is the issue - not authorizing the code upgrade at this time.

I told him that I will likely escalate this to the team leader and KIB next week. However, I understand that this is not a simple upgrade. My issue is when I empty the tanks and they should be near or at 0% - it goes to 60% and then maybe 40% in a few hours, or 20% the next day. The filling % seems to be fairly accurate. Is the fix too risky? I also think that it should work as designed.......

Other than that, I have been extremely pleased with the work we have received. The team has been great - they have even fixed several items that they found on their own. A couple I knew about, but had not documented, but also some that their trained eye discovered.
__________________
Have a Super Day! https://jeepsandrvs.com
Coach: 2019 Ventana LE 4037 "GiGi - Gypsy Girl"
TOAD: 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU "Rooster"
superman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
Russtj60's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
My tech is pushing back about doing a code upgrade on my coach. He is wanting to clean the tanks as he states that he thinks this is the issue. I could not disagree more, as I already clean them regularly. I am OK trying his way to a point.

He states that KIB is the issue - not authorizing the code upgrade at this time.

I told him that I will likely escalate this to the team leader and KIB next week. However, I understand that this is not a simple upgrade. My issue is when I empty the tanks and they should be near or at 0% - it goes to 60% and then maybe 40% in a few hours, or 20% the next day. The filling % seems to be fairly accurate. Is the fix too risky? I also think that it should work as designed.......

Other than that, I have been extremely pleased with the work we have received. The team has been great - they have even fixed several items that they found on their own. A couple I knew about, but had not documented, but also some that their trained eye discovered.
I left Nappanee two months ago without the upgrade. The tanks have to be soaked and cleaned for three days and then the system tested before KIB would authorize the software update according to my team leader. I had places to go ... so opted not to do it that visit.
__________________
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:09 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
redbaron73's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,522
Blog Entries: 4
When I presented for the repair, they mentioned cleaning etc. Seemed like a process designed to discourage.

I took the position that my seelevel was showing proper levels, and their system was not even installed properly. I asked that we get the KIB to properly show empty and full.

Two different updates where installed, with the last one being the most recent. It has worked very well.
__________________
2019 DSDP 4369 * FREIGHTLINER XCR * HWH ACTIVE AIR

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Desertboyz's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Could be anywhere
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
When I presented for the repair, they mentioned cleaning etc. Seemed like a process designed to discourage.

I took the position that my seelevel was showing proper levels, and their system was not even installed properly. I asked that we get the KIB to properly show empty and full.

Two different updates where installed, with the last one being the most recent. It has worked very well.
Yes, process to discourage, just like how the 2018 Spartan dangerous front sicks was initially dealt with.

I think I'll snap if we get the "cleaning" story. We've done all that.

Need to obtain seelevel to eliminate that road block.

Does Newmar hope this affected will just go away?
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Randy, Donald and Zoe (Rat Terrier)
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 K2/2016 Jeep Cherokee High Country
Desertboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Desertboyz's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Could be anywhere
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
Yes, process to discourage, just like how the 2018 Spartan dangerous front sicks was initially dealt with.

I think I'll snap if we get the "cleaning" story. We've done all that.

Need to obtain seelevel to eliminate that road block.

Does Newmar hope this affected will just go away?
Woops...***Front Shocks***
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Randy, Donald and Zoe (Rat Terrier)
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 K2/2016 Jeep Cherokee High Country
Desertboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:56 PM   #13
Member
 
hamgva's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Winchester, Virginia
Posts: 63
I had a software update in Nappanee last summer and a replacement of my black and freshwater sensors. The update worked. Fresh had not worked at all, and black had shown full at 1/8. Grey had been working. Now grey shows 50% immediately after dump, but reads correctly after about 24 hours. Black and fresh are fine. Wish I had asked to have the grey sense replaced as well. The software update helped.
__________________
Gary Ham - 2019 DSDP 4018 - 2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
hamgva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:17 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Boomer's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
My tech is pushing back about doing a code upgrade on my coach. He is wanting to clean the tanks as he states that he thinks this is the issue. I could not disagree more, as I already clean them regularly. I am OK trying his way to a point.

He states that KIB is the issue - not authorizing the code upgrade at this time.

I told him that I will likely escalate this to the team leader and KIB next week. However, I understand that this is not a simple upgrade. My issue is when I empty the tanks and they should be near or at 0% - it goes to 60% and then maybe 40% in a few hours, or 20% the next day. The filling % seems to be fairly accurate. Is the fix too risky? I also think that it should work as designed.......

Other than that, I have been extremely pleased with the work we have received. The team has been great - they have even fixed several items that they found on their own. A couple I knew about, but had not documented, but also some that their trained eye discovered.
Have the same problem with black tank, when I empty it reading 70% until a few flushes. When I talked to Newmar and KIB was told, my tank was dirty and to put chemicals in for 5 days on almost full tank. Hard to do when full timing however I was able to do it when we took a 6 day side trip. Emptied tank and bingo 70% what a fix. In all honesty I haven't told Newmar or KIB about my attempt, but also can't drive anywhere for 2 months due to medical reasons.

Being an engineer I have come up with the following 'fix' for mine. After dumping and rinsing (I turn the rinse on just after opening the dump), I put 40 gallons in my 45 gallon tank (reading says 70, but can't be right or 40 gallons would be messy). The first time I dump from that it reads 50% - 60%, however, by second to third 40 gallons repeats, get it to read about 10%, put 3 gallons in and bingo it finally reads zero.

Personally as an engineer if I designed a system like this I would have lost my job, on by Canyon Star (for 3 years) never had this issue. Now I will probably have to spend >$500 in fuel to get this to Newmar, so glad I 'upgraded'.

Oh, an when I talked with Newmar and KIB, they were not surprised I was having an issue, just blamed dirty tank.

Guess I just have to live with my fix or pay $$$ to get it to Newmar.

Anyway excuse my venting, I too have a black tank issue
__________________

__________________
Bob and Terri
2019 Ventana 4037 Spartan, 2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
State College, PA
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
black tank, tank



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WiFi Ranger Firmware update 7.0.2 docj Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 32 11-15-2015 08:38 PM
Major WiFiRanger firmware update coming in February docj Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 24 02-05-2015 06:03 PM
WiFi Ranger "Bug Fix" Firmware Update Available docj Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 2 07-22-2014 06:52 PM
WiFi Ranger firmware update 6.6.5 released to public docj Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 1 02-04-2014 10:20 PM
WiFiRanger 6.6.2 Firmware Update Mr_Bill Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 10 06-14-2013 12:01 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×