RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Kib - black tank firmware update?? Help!

We've had hugely inaccurate level readings for both Gray and Black tanks since Day 2.

Some of you have advised of a Firmware/Software update to fix this. Has this taken care of the problem for you?

Randy, Donald and Zoe (Rat Terrier)
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 K2/2016 Jeep Cherokee High Country
Desertboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes. 100% functional. Reads 0% on all tanks immediately after dumping and gradually rises as expected.
I had them replace all the sensors and made sure they adhered. This took no less than 3 attempts. My original ones where curling on the ends.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Yes. 100% functional. Reads 0% on all tanks immediately after dumping and gradually rises as expected.
I had them replace all the sensors and made sure they adhered. This took no less than 3 attempts. My original ones where curling on the ends.
Did you apply the update yourself or have the factory do it? I have this issue on my list of items to be addressed.
superman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This was done at the factory.

All kib systems must be updated at the same time including light control panels. It is about an hour long update process.

After the update, I have one light panel that is flashing when off. This indicates a firmware mismatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
Did you apply the update yourself or have the factory do it? I have this issue on my list of items to be addressed.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

All kib systems must be updated at the same time including light control panels. It is about an hour long update process.

After the update, I have one light panel that is flashing when off. This indicates a firmware mismatch
Thanks RB! This was my assumption - but wanted to be sure.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
We've had hugely inaccurate level readings for both Gray and Black tanks since Day 2.

Some of you have advised of a Firmware/Software update to fix this. Has this taken care of the problem for you?

Last year they replaced my sensors and changed the location of my water pump as it was affecting my sensors. It worked great for 8 months. Then I started having problems with the gray and black tanks again. As gray tank levels went up, black tank would go down to 10% when full.

At the factory now and they recalibrated the sensors and did an upgrade. BTW upgrade removes the always lit Newmar screen which now goes to a black screen. Tap on screen to wake it, tap bottom left where it says tanks and you have a new screen like the one in the 2020s. Crossing my fingers that this will last.
ARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

It's gotten to the point that we've removed fuse F8. The gauges and lights were not functional.

We will be at NIRVC Las Vegas in February. Newmar has provided a reference number for them to refer to. Does that mean no run-around? I've got some follow-up to do before we arrive. We are not planning on being in Nappanee in the near future.

RedBaron - thank you for sharing your results and findings!

Old 11-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
My tech is pushing back about doing a code upgrade on my coach. He is wanting to clean the tanks as he states that he thinks this is the issue. I could not disagree more, as I already clean them regularly. I am OK trying his way to a point.

He states that KIB is the issue - not authorizing the code upgrade at this time.

I told him that I will likely escalate this to the team leader and KIB next week. However, I understand that this is not a simple upgrade. My issue is when I empty the tanks and they should be near or at 0% - it goes to 60% and then maybe 40% in a few hours, or 20% the next day. The filling % seems to be fairly accurate. Is the fix too risky? I also think that it should work as designed.......

Other than that, I have been extremely pleased with the work we have received. The team has been great - they have even fixed several items that they found on their own. A couple I knew about, but had not documented, but also some that their trained eye discovered.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
My tech is pushing back about doing a code upgrade on my coach. He is wanting to clean the tanks as he states that he thinks this is the issue. I could not disagree more, as I already clean them regularly. I am OK trying his way to a point.

He states that KIB is the issue - not authorizing the code upgrade at this time.

I told him that I will likely escalate this to the team leader and KIB next week. However, I understand that this is not a simple upgrade. My issue is when I empty the tanks and they should be near or at 0% - it goes to 60% and then maybe 40% in a few hours, or 20% the next day. The filling % seems to be fairly accurate. Is the fix too risky? I also think that it should work as designed.......

Other than that, I have been extremely pleased with the work we have received. The team has been great - they have even fixed several items that they found on their own. A couple I knew about, but had not documented, but also some that their trained eye discovered.
I left Nappanee two months ago without the upgrade. The tanks have to be soaked and cleaned for three days and then the system tested before KIB would authorize the software update according to my team leader. I had places to go ... so opted not to do it that visit.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:09 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I presented for the repair, they mentioned cleaning etc. Seemed like a process designed to discourage.

I took the position that my seelevel was showing proper levels, and their system was not even installed properly. I asked that we get the KIB to properly show empty and full.

Two different updates where installed, with the last one being the most recent. It has worked very well.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
When I presented for the repair, they mentioned cleaning etc. Seemed like a process designed to discourage.

I took the position that my seelevel was showing proper levels, and their system was not even installed properly. I asked that we get the KIB to properly show empty and full.

Two different updates where installed, with the last one being the most recent. It has worked very well.
Yes, process to discourage, just like how the 2018 Spartan dangerous front sicks was initially dealt with.

I think I'll snap if we get the "cleaning" story. We've done all that.

Need to obtain seelevel to eliminate that road block.

Does Newmar hope this affected will just go away?

Old 11-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
Yes, process to discourage, just like how the 2018 Spartan dangerous front sicks was initially dealt with.

I think I'll snap if we get the "cleaning" story. We've done all that.

Need to obtain seelevel to eliminate that road block.

Does Newmar hope this affected will just go away?
Woops...***Front Shocks***

Old 11-15-2019, 08:56 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a software update in Nappanee last summer and a replacement of my black and freshwater sensors. The update worked. Fresh had not worked at all, and black had shown full at 1/8. Grey had been working. Now grey shows 50% immediately after dump, but reads correctly after about 24 hours. Black and fresh are fine. Wish I had asked to have the grey sense replaced as well. The software update helped.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:17 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Have the same problem with black tank, when I empty it reading 70% until a few flushes. When I talked to Newmar and KIB was told, my tank was dirty and to put chemicals in for 5 days on almost full tank. Hard to do when full timing however I was able to do it when we took a 6 day side trip. Emptied tank and bingo 70% what a fix. In all honesty I haven't told Newmar or KIB about my attempt, but also can't drive anywhere for 2 months due to medical reasons.

Being an engineer I have come up with the following 'fix' for mine. After dumping and rinsing (I turn the rinse on just after opening the dump), I put 40 gallons in my 45 gallon tank (reading says 70, but can't be right or 40 gallons would be messy). The first time I dump from that it reads 50% - 60%, however, by second to third 40 gallons repeats, get it to read about 10%, put 3 gallons in and bingo it finally reads zero.

Personally as an engineer if I designed a system like this I would have lost my job, on by Canyon Star (for 3 years) never had this issue. Now I will probably have to spend >$500 in fuel to get this to Newmar, so glad I 'upgraded'.

Oh, an when I talked with Newmar and KIB, they were not surprised I was having an issue, just blamed dirty tank.

Guess I just have to live with my fix or pay $$$ to get it to Newmar.

Anyway excuse my venting, I too have a black tank issue

Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank