Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
cwg

As Paul has written previously, he and Jill are looking at the possiblity of purchasing a new King Aire. So today the Three Amigos gathered together and went for a pretty good test drive up I-75. Paul wanted some input from those who have a K-2 chassis to see the response and handling of a K-3, and, of course, the extra 100 horsepower.

This was our second test drive for a King Aire, all courtesy of Northtrail RV in Fort Myers. The first one occured several weeks ago on secondary roads and did not include the higher speeds of the interstate. John was absent on that one. Paul wanted another objective test which would include weaving in and out of traffic on the superslab, plus pure acceleration and torque response.

This is how I call it, and the two tests resulted in the same feeling for me (the other amigos can report their own subjective observations):

The extra weight of the coach is not felt; the ride is translated into a very smooth transition down the road. Ken Williamson from Newmar had previously remarked that it is surprising how well the extra poundage moves...the larger UVW helps smooth out the road bumps and bridge strips.

The 600 hp Cummins was the real performer. Entering a ramp to enter the interstate is much quicker and the rig was sooner up to speed for merging. None of us were expecting the difference in acceleration at nearly any point in the torque band...this is not a dragster, no 45 foot rig is, but there is a perceptible difference from the ISM 500.

There is so much to like about the KingAire.... with little downside. John decided to use discretion and not pilot it, knowing these test drives can be very contagious. He chose to observe from the passenger side of the equation.

I say full speed ahead, Paul and Jill.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
cwg

As Paul has written previously, he and Jill are looking at the possiblity of purchasing a new King Aire. So today the Three Amigos gathered together and went for a pretty good test drive up I-75. Paul wanted some input from those who have a K-2 chassis to see the response and handling of a K-3, and, of course, the extra 100 horsepower.

This was our second test drive for a King Aire, all courtesy of Northtrail RV in Fort Myers. The first one occured several weeks ago on secondary roads and did not include the higher speeds of the interstate. John was absent on that one. Paul wanted another objective test which would include weaving in and out of traffic on the superslab, plus pure acceleration and torque response.

This is how I call it, and the two tests resulted in the same feeling for me (the other amigos can report their own subjective observations):

The extra weight of the coach is not felt; the ride is translated into a very smooth transition down the road. Ken Williamson from Newmar had previously remarked that it is surprising how well the extra poundage moves...the larger UVW helps smooth out the road bumps and bridge strips.

The 600 hp Cummins was the real performer. Entering a ramp to enter the interstate is much quicker and the rig was sooner up to speed for merging. None of us were expecting the difference in acceleration at nearly any point in the torque band...this is not a dragster, no 45 foot rig is, but there is a perceptible difference from the ISM 500.

There is so much to like about the KingAire.... with little downside. John decided to use discretion and not pilot it, knowing these test drives can be very contagious. He chose to observe from the passenger side of the equation.

I say full speed ahead, Paul and Jill.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #3

What is the UVW of a KADB?

If you buy one Paul, just know that I hate you....

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
cwg

It is between 44,400 lbs and 44,700 lbs depending on which floorplan is chosen, according to Newmar.

Don't hate him, just call him King Paul in his King Aire!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:47 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Paul wanted another objective test which would include weaving in and out of traffic on the superslab </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul, being from New Jersey, would have a special interest in this ability.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:51 AM   #6

I went along for the ride just because the other two amigos sometimes need adult supervision. But the KADP got my attention very quickly - smooth, quiet, comfortable, powerful are just some of the adjectives I would use to describe it. I opted not to drive because the last time I test drove a coach I bought one. That history cannot be repeated plus I already had a big fall this week.

Un-numbered Amigo
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:59 AM   #7

Hmmmmmm........I wouldn't know. I didn't get invited to the test flight.

Peter
Old 02-20-2008, 04:04 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
Hmmmmmm........I wouldn't know. I didn't get invited to the test flight.

Peter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess they figured the "mixologist" wasn't needed, based on the open container laws in the Florida Vehicle Code....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:21 AM   #9

Just felt and heard the sonic boom from the space shuttle and then watched the landing. Got flashbacks to yesterday's test drive.

Un-numbered Amigo
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:32 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just felt and heard the sonic boom from the space shuttle </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! I was wondering what that was this morning. I thought I was having flashbacks to when John smoked a car on 41 passing him on a 2 lane highway with his coach! Paul
Old 02-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I didn't get invited to the test flight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Peter! HUGE MISTAKE. I blew that one. We would have been able to have the best input of all from you! Sorry Amigos, but Peter is better at technical than the three of us together! Well add that one to the misadventures of the 3 Amigos (er,stooges) Paul
Old 02-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Paul, I have to admit I was perplexed at why the mixologist wasn't "in" on that trip.... You can put what technical knowledge the three invalids have between you in one of Peter's cup holders!!

Being our resident techie mixologist, Peter would've been one of my first calls..... for before AND after the test drive!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have to admit I was perplexed at why the mixologist wasn't "in" on that trip </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! So was I. As I said before I just plain forgot. John could have picked him up and bought him with him. It was a last minute thing that I messed up. So you guys can just keep piling it on. BOB, check your voicemails! Paul