Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2008, 05:44 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My current thought is to use a HDMI matrix switch </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Bruce! Don't forget that in the past Newmar's switching unit had at least 2 or 3 open inputs to distribute to the TV's. Unless they changed the switching box for the '09 model year, they were not using HDMI cables yet. They rely on River Park to supply those units. We will have to find out if they switched to HDMI yet. It would be great if they did. Paul
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2008, 06:38 AM   #16

What we did is avoid all the BS.

We had Newmar run 2 Cat 6, 1 Ethernet and 2 120 AC outlets where every TV was going to be. Living room, Master and one for each bunk in the back. Condiut for a Motosat dish was also run.

Those all terminated in a media cabinet over the drivers head.

Inside will be the DirecTV switch, motosat control box and a router / Bridge.

We ran 3 lines from the exterior of the coach to the same cabinet. 2 for portable satellite dish in case of heavy trees and 1 for cable or cable modem. These terminate in the same cabinet.

As a result the system is what you would have in a home instead of an RV. No future capability issues, each TV has its own dual tuner DVR, they can all watch different things, record different things etc. Also the HD is from the tap, no loss of signal due to a crappy converter.

So 99% of the tiem satellite will be just fine, or we can swap some cables and use the CG's cable just as easily. Every TV can use whatever connection we want and they can also be replaced just as easily. No 25ft HDMI runs through the ceiling they are all short from the box to the set.

All the boxes can get updates or Video on Demand from the net, via the ethernet jacks and plenty of juice with the extra AC outlets.

Cost a bit more to set up with the extra outlets and such but its totally future proof and how residential homes are built. Makes it very easy to switch between signals, mirror signals, change provider or switches because its all right there.

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2 Cat 6, 1 Ethernet and </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Cat 6 and Ethernet are the same thing. Did you mean RG6 coax?
Are you going to have a separate DTV receiver at each TV location? If not, how is the HDTV signal going to get from one to the other?
Sounds like an interesting project!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2 Cat 6, 1 Ethernet and </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Cat 6 and Ethernet are the same thing. Did you mean RG6 coax?
Are you going to have a separate DTV receiver at each TV location? If not, how is the HDTV signal going to get from one to the other?
Sounds like an interesting project! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that is what I meant RG6 for the 2 satellite connections and Ethernet connection for each TV. Pardon my brain freeze.

We are planning on having a separate receiver for each location as we want to be able to watch different programming or have different programs recording at the same time.

This also makes it really easy later for home networking or a media center to be established so I can stick a hub somewhere and connect a media drive and share it among all the TV's over the same network. Puts all our movies and other digital media available at every screen in the house.

2008 Saturn Vue
Old 03-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #19

OK, so that clarifies that, but are you planning on having a separate receiver at each TV location? You mention that 2 coax will run to each TV, but where will these cables originate? Does a conduit run from the roof to the point of origin?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jetsmania:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My current thought is to use a HDMI matrix switch </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Bruce! Don't forget that in the past Newmar's switching unit had at least 2 or 3 open inputs to distribute to the TV's. Unless they changed the switching box for the '09 model year, they were not using HDMI cables yet. They rely on River Park to supply those units. We will have to find out if they switched to HDMI yet. It would be great if they did. Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have assumed I am going to ask for a newmar build special to include HDMI and component video cable run to each TV location, and delete the stupid standard switch.

This is really the counterpoint to what Aridon has spec'ed. He wants a DVR at each TV location and is using the RG6 to get the signal there. My feeling is that I am more future proof if I run a couple of HD cables to each location and then put whatever receiver I want in the media cabinet to feed it. Since we are only 2 people in the coach I assume 2 DVR's will suffice, I might feel differently if I also had bunks in the coach.

The big question I have about the Aridon arrangement is if a mutiswitch will work with the in motion style dish. I can see them working with an open face dish as CSX4350 has, but I wonder about the dome.

Additionally I am not sure of the need for the Cat5 cable, what do you intend to use it for? There is nothing I can think of network related that will not work wifi. The only reason I could come up with for a CAT5 was a KVM extender . Don't get me wrong as I may want a KVM extender to the bedroom, but I do not see a real need for Ethernet in the coach except a run down to the connection bay for when they have Ethernet hookups instead of the now obsolete phone hookups.
brucedelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:49 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
OK, so that clarifies that, but are you planning on having a separate receiver at each TV location? You mention that 2 coax will run to each TV, but where will these cables originate? Does a conduit run from the roof to the point of origin? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes we will have receivers for each TV. We can also mirror signals so technically we do not need a receiver at each spot but that is the plan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">dditionally I am not sure of the need for the Cat5 cable, what do you intend to use it for? There is nothing I can think of network related that will not work wifi. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are lots of things that won't work over WiFi or do not work as well. One is the DirecTV receivers. I want to keep them updated (CE release software) and I also want access to my VOD content and to get that I need them wired via their Ethernet port. Since the boxes do not accept a wireless connection that leaves wired only.

Also as good as Wifi is, its still not as good as a wired connection. When you are transferring large movies or files from location to location you can use WiFi but the maximum speed is better with a direct connection. Also the fewer wireless connections you have the less chance for interference. If I'm running say the Xbox 360, lap top and the wireless bridge to the CG's WiFi thats a lot of signal in a small place. Not too mention Xfering HD movies or music and such.

I'm a Tech Geek. I have to have my online games, I have to be able to tinker with the newest and coolest and I made sure the wiring in the rig would be as future proof as possible.

Every house we have built I've made sure to include a network panel. Its nice to be able to go into one cabinet and be able to swap inputs for any TV or whatever at a whim. This way regardless if we are on Cable, DirecTV, OTA, media center whatever we can do whatever we want.

2008 Saturn Vue
Old 03-25-2008, 05:32 AM   #22

Sounds like a really good project and somewhat surprising (but encouraging) that Newmar would make those kinds of modifications.
Good planning goes a long way and it sounds like you have made a very good plan.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:56 PM   #23

Sounds like a really good project and somewhat surprising (but encouraging) that Newmar would make those kinds of modifications.
Good planning goes a long way and it sounds like you have made a very good plan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We do not know yet that Newmar will make those modifications, but I have high hopes. I can ask for anything we want and they can price it how they want. We will see if we have a meeting of the minds when they price the specials. In actuality I plan to ask for the wires to be run in conduit, which I know they have done for others. But I do not think running HDMI over another form of cable is hard during the build process. I will offer to provide the materials if they do not have a source, which I see as the most likely problem. At home I have run a 100' HDMI cable for the TV at my hot tub to keep the TIVO away from the humidity. So I think any run in a RV should be fine as it will certainly be less than 100'.

As for the Ethernet Airdon mentioned, I will say I am a big fan of using a wifi bridge. If you get equipment that supports WDS then they have been bulletproof for me and my devices see it as a wired connection. Your basic Linksys and Belkin equipment does not support WDS, but low end commercial devices will. I am a big fan of Buffalo branded equipment for price/value, but they lost a patent lawsuit last year, and are under an US injunction. So I end up sourcing it from outside this country.
brucedelta is offline   Reply With Quote