Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question Kitchen/Curb-side Slide Adjustment

Hi,

I've been scouring the forums trying to find instructions on how to adjust the slides... but can't seem to find the specifics needed to make the adjustment I want on my curb-side kitchen slide. It's not a flat-floor slide... just a regular, 18" deep, long slide.

When the slide is extended (out), and you are inside facing it, there is a gap in the upper left corner... large enough to let wind/air in. When the slide is retracted, the top of the slide reaches full retraction first, then the motor continues to pull and pulls the bottom of the slide flat against the sidewall. Simply put, the top of the slide is tilted slightly inward, whether it's extended, retracted or in transit.

Am I just missing something? Or is there anyone out there who has had this same problem that could direct me to what adjustment will correct this?

Thanks! I appreciate the help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
When in, have you looked up on top of the slide to see if something is laying up there that is keeping it from sealing? Has this always done this, or is this something that recently started? When retracting, do both sides do the same? (tops first, then pulls bottom tight)
There are several links "007" has in the 'Tips and Tricks" that may help you if adjustments are really required.
Good luck and let us know what you may find.
Chuck
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
When in, have you looked up on top of the slide to see if something is laying up there that is keeping it from sealing? Has this always done this, or is this something that recently started? When retracting, do both sides do the same? (tops first, then pulls bottom tight)
There are several links "007" has in the 'Tips and Tricks" that may help you if adjustments are really required.
Good luck and let us know what you may find.
Chuck
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the response. I have, indeed, inspected the top of the slide and made sure that there's nothing there that's in the way. When the slide is retracting, the top (on both sides) comes in first. When extended... the top part of the right hand (rearward) side of the slide seals completely... it's just the left hand (forward) side that isn't.

I don't know how long it has been doing this (it's certainly possible it's been quite a while). This is the first winter I've spent in cold weather since purchasing this coach... so this was the first time I felt the cold air blowing in while the slide was extended. It's totally a layman's guess, but it seems like it may have to do with the rollers on the bottom, inside of the slide. In the front, they roll over carpet... in the rear of the slide, over tile. So maybe the carpet/padding have gotten squished enough over the years that now it's causing a noticeable gap? Again... just guessing.

I've looked through the Tips & Tricks before, but will take a gander again to be sure I haven't missed anything. Seems like most of the adjustments apply to flat-floor and/or bedroom (aka bed) slides... or are adjusting the slide in a different way.

Appreciate the input!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As you have said John the front roller may be could be raised on bottom of kitchen platform.
With the of awning when out may have flex the floor on forward end of slide.
You could call Phil Stilley at Newmar and see if they have a fix or can give you some help.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks, "007".

I spoke with Newmar today. They said that the "saddle" was what needed to be adjusted. I had tried that before... but had only tried the front adjustment... and Newmar indicated I may need to adjust both to get it fixed. If that doesn't work, I've got an appointment at the factory this summer... so I'll let the experts deal with it then.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the follow up John would be interesting how they get one under floor.
Must have a skinney guy around there.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Thanks for the follow up John would be interesting how they get one under floor.
Must have a skinney guy around there.
LOL! I'm thinking that having a "skinny guy" around the Newmar factory would come in handy for them for all sorts of work they do!

The saddle adjustment on our curb side, kitchen slide is accessed from the basement, so you don't have to be TOO skinny. Just depends on how tall your basement doors are!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #8

saddle?

Where is the saddle? What does it look like?
Houkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houkie View Post
Where is the saddle? What does it look like?
Houkie,

Not sure it will apply to your Holiday Rambler (Newmar's slide-out mechanism is a home-grown solution), but on our coach the saddle is built around the support beam/tube that the slide support arms slide into. If you go under the slide and look for the cog wheel, then follow the beam/tube that the cog wheel rolls in and out back toward the center of the coach you'll find a bracket that straddles the beam and has a large bolt running up inside the support tube. That bolt has two large nuts on it to adjust the roller inside the saddle, which is supposed to affect the tilt of the top of the slide ONLY when it is all the way extended.

According to Newmar, this is supposed to be adjusted with the slide all the way out. Haven't tried it yet, myself, but I'll report back once I do.

- John
Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #10

I have two slides that are about 1cm low when in. One drags one the floor. Wondering how to adjust it. One of those slide doesn't seal very tightly on the opposite side when extended. One is a curbside BR slide and the other is the kitchen. How to adjust? I have a Mountain Aire 06 40'. I think its a 4034.
Houkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Houkie ,If you go to this link Quick Tips & Mods 1 & 2 about 1/2 way down there is info on how to adjust slides and Newmar info as to there different slide makeups.

Tags
slide