Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #1

Kitchen Exhaust Vent

We just bought a 2019 Canyon Star 3627. It has a microwave/convection oven/vent hood installed over the stove.

The vent hood doesn't exhaust to the outside but simply takes in the cooking odors and moisture, routes it around the microwave and blows it right back into the room above the microwave. A really stupid and cheap way to do the install.

It a simple matter to un-mount the microwave and turn the exhaust fan to exhaust out the side wall. All the necessary templates are available.

However, it does require a 4x10" hole to be cut in the side wall. I don't have a problem doing that (I've done it on previous RVs) but I was wondering if anyone had already done the same thing and where you got the exterior vent shroud? Just hoping someone can save me some research.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
Outside Exhaust Vent

I ordered my DSDP in 2017 with "Outside exhaust vent". I have since had to take out the microwave to fix the rattling exhaust vent flapper. The reason I am telling you this is that you can add the outside vent. I was impressed with the fact it was sloped down from the microwave so that when washing the Motorhome the water would need to run uphill to enter motorhome.
So this is just a FYI. Slope the exhaust downhill from MWave......
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here you go...https://www.amazon.com/Appizz-Mobile...t+damper&psc=1

Just remember, 95% of the DP's built, don't install an outside vent. I understand your concern, but we've never seen an issue with it venting inside. Our coach doesn't smell and it doesn't produce enough water vapor to be an issue.

Once you install the vent, making sure there is nothing in the wall, then you'll need to have it custom painted and clear coated to make it look like the rest of the coach. You could also look for a chrome one.

We just ordered a new coach and I had no interest in adding something else to the exterior (I'm a minimalist) and deal with a noisy vent. Just my opinion.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
On our 2002 the Microwave\Convection oven over the stove is vented through the roof.
This venting along with pulling odors etc out also vents a lot of heat from the convection oven out the roof instead of inside the coach.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
On our 2002 the Microwave\Convection oven over the stove is vented through the roof.
This venting along with pulling odors etc out also vents a lot of heat from the convection oven out the roof instead of inside the coach.

Did you have a problem with negative pressure pulling in odors from black or grey tanks?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Our Canyon Star had a Fantastic fan we used that was located directly above the convection/microwave. We never had issues with cooking odors.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #7

Check out JR RV Products.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #8

Our 2004 MADP has the outside vent. The problem is when we spend the winter in cold places and the cold wind blows inside the coach. I suppose hot air comes in during the summer. When it get really cold, I have to cover the exterior vent to keep out the cold air.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
I ordered my DSDP in 2017 with "Outside exhaust vent". I have since had to take out the microwave to fix the rattling exhaust vent flapper. The reason I am telling you this is that you can add the outside vent. I was impressed with the fact it was sloped down from the microwave so that when washing the Motorhome the water would need to run uphill to enter motorhome.
So this is just a FYI. Slope the exhaust downhill from MWave......
I have the outside vent. I've had it on all 3 Coaches I've owned. Never had any problem and it works great.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
We just bought a 2019 Canyon Star 3627. It has a microwave/convection oven/vent hood installed over the stove.

The vent hood doesn't exhaust to the outside but simply takes in the cooking odors and moisture, routes it around the microwave and blows it right back into the room above the microwave. A really stupid and cheap way to do the install.

It a simple matter to un-mount the microwave and turn the exhaust fan to exhaust out the side wall. All the necessary templates are available.

However, it does require a 4x10" hole to be cut in the side wall. I don't have a problem doing that (I've done it on previous RVs) but I was wondering if anyone had already done the same thing and where you got the exterior vent shroud? Just hoping someone can save me some research.
One suggestion is to put a felt strip on the flap to quiet it when closing.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Did you have a problem with negative pressure pulling in odors from black or grey tanks?
Never noticed any issues with the Micro vent or Fantastic fans pulling in odors.

We had an issue going down the road with odors at one time but replaced all the AAV vents and put Cyclones on the roof. No problems since.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:08 PM   #12
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
Ditto!!!
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #13

Our 2005 Kountry Star gas coach has an outside vent for the microwave with a nice louvered vent cover. You might look on Comnet and see of this would fit your needs.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #14

Thanks for all the replies. Now I have something to keep me busy for the next couple of days.

Tags
vent, exhaust