Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #1

Kitchen faucet slow water flow. Fixed.

Both bathroom faucets had good flow, shower too. Just slow water in the kitchen. Removed new water filter, cleaned faucet aerator, still slow. Pressure was good at the source. Watched youtube videos which said to clean the aerator. At least a couple forums mentioned a water restrictor (probably) at the base of the faucet under the sink. I couldn't find it. Newmar said it was probably a kinked line and to trace it.

Started looking for a water restrictor and found it. Base of the sink between hot/cold lines. The whole thing is about 1.5 inches long. Took it apart, removed the restrictor, and normal water flow is back.

The problem had been going on for awhile, and I thought that's just the it is and tried to live with it. Recently, started thinking no, I have a problem and it shouldn't be like this. Don't know why it took me so long for such a simple fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_677.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	223612  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2018, 04:39 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Good find. I'm going to have to look and see if our kitchen faucet has the same restrictor. Our flow isn't what I would call horrible, but it certainly could stand to be better.

Thanks!

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland0311 View Post
Both bathroom faucets had good flow, shower too. Just slow water in the kitchen. Removed new water filter, cleaned faucet aerator, still slow. Pressure was good at the source. Watched youtube videos which said to clean the aerator. At least a couple forums mentioned a water restrictor (probably) at the base of the faucet under the sink. I couldn't find it. Newmar said it was probably a kinked line and to trace it.

Started looking for a water restrictor and found it. Base of the sink between hot/cold lines. The whole thing is about 1.5 inches long. Took it apart, removed the restrictor, and normal water flow is back.

The problem had been going on for awhile, and I thought that's just the it is and tried to live with it. Recently, started thinking no, I have a problem and it shouldn't be like this. Don't know why it took me so long for such a simple fix.
Interesting.
Questions:
1) So the bathroom faucets.....do they have a water restrictor too?
2) You removed the water restrictor and now it works fine. Why is it there in the first place if it works fine without it?
3) Can the water restrictor be cleaned?

thx
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:07 AM   #4

Great find, we have been also dealing with low flow in the kitchen but everywhere else we have decent flow. I also cleaned the areator with no change. I will look for the restrictor and remove it. Does anyone know what purpose of a restrictor on the kitchen faucet would serve? I assume that there are none on the bathroom sinks as there is a better flow there or at least seems that way.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Interesting.
Questions:
1) So the bathroom faucets.....do they have a water restrictor too?
2) You removed the water restrictor and now it works fine. Why is it there in the first place if it works fine without it?
3) Can the water restrictor be cleaned?

thx
1. I haven't checked my bathroom faucets. Water flow is fine there. I have cleaned the aerator for the bathroom faucet I use.

2. I'm guessing it's ''code,'' the way residential shower heads have restrictor's in them? I'm guessing.

3. The restrictor I removed from my kitchen faucet didn't need cleaning. I check the faucet aerator couple times a year though to make sure it's clean.

By the way, the water restrictor unscrewed into 2 pieces and the restrictor was in the middle and wedged in tight. I couldn't tell by looking at it if it could be accessed or removed. I used a pencil to push the restrictor out. It's spring loaded and shot across the room. There's also a small black rubber o-ring that needs to be replaced or else it will leak. Found that out later.

Tags
water