RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Kitchen Sink Scratches

Greetings!

We really, really like our coach. We have a pretty good punch list of warranty items to be addressed here in a couple of week as we make our way back to the mothership.

One thing that we really don't like in our coach is the kitchen sink and faucet. The kitchen faucet is on the punch list as it is broken - it sticks in the sprayer mode. It has a cheap plastic head. I know a replacement is only going to last a short while.

The sink is the shiny metal type which scratches very easily - including during cleaning. I asked Newmar to look at it and see if we have any upgrade options. This would be a cost to me upgrade - which is fair.

We have replaced sink and faucets at my stick and bricks. My only hesitation is finding one to fit the RV and that is higher quality.

Do some of the higher end units have a better sink / faucet combination? Have anyone replaced theirs with a residential version that is higher quality?

I would prefer a single sink over the split sink that is there now.

Thanks for all useful suggestions in advance.

superman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 05:04 PM   #2

Having recently done a kitchen renovation where every decision was researched in depth.... Grohe faucets have the best reviews and while nearly double or triple the cost of the ones you can find at HomeDepot are generally metal (ss or brass as appropriate) or at least a very good quality plastic. I can literally feel the quality difference. But pricey.

As for sinks, depends on what Newmar comes back with but the thicker the gauge steel (16 vs 18 or 20) the better/quieter it'll be.

Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Kitchen Sink Scratches

Superman11, your comments about your sink issues have me concerned.

We have the two bowl composite sink in our 17 DS. We bought it off the lot so it wasnít a choice. Being composite, it has proven very solid and durable.

When reviewing options for the 2020 DS that we recently ordered, the list price on that composite sink option was about $830. Seemed high. We looked at the standard sink which is a double bowl stainless and we decided to go with that.

Now Iím second guessing our decision. Does anybody with the DS stainless sink have an opinion in this?
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #4

I have the double stainless steel sink in our 2019 Dutchstar. It spots, it scratches. It is difficult to keep looking shiny. That said, both sides are deep, it is functional and the alternative composite sink had one small size and one bigger size. I keep the covers on it when not in use so it is not visible. I found a drainable dishpan for one side and a dish strainer for bottom of other side. It works for me and I no longer stress!

Now if I could just get towel bars wide enough to handle the towels!
bbrewer841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:29 AM   #5

it's a sink, guys....it's gonna get scratched with use...you can't keep a high gloss polish on it, no matter the thickness....it's made to be used, and to wear the marks of use....and no matter what the material, it will show signs of use over time....if it was solid surface, less so, but even then wear will show...

only way to keep it shiny is to not use it....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:34 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
it's a sink, guys....it's gonna get scratched with use...you can't keep a high gloss polish on it, no matter the thickness....it's made to be used, and to wear the marks of use....and no matter what the material, it will show signs of use over time....if it was solid surface, less so, but even then wear will show...

only way to keep it shiny is to not use it....
I do not find your comments very useful. However, in my opinion, as we do use our sinks a lot - the thin, shiny design is not good for durability or aesthetics much past the showroom. A more plain stainless would be a better option IMO. My residential sink in our casita has scratches, but not like the one in our rig.

Getting back on topic, do the higher end rigs have a better sink? Is the composite sink a better option?
Old 10-23-2019, 06:42 AM   #7

We have the double stainless sink, which I agree is hard to keep looking new and shiny. However we find it very practical for RV living. I suppose a composite sink would look nicer.

Our rig came with a high end faucet. It actually malfunctioned the first year and Newmar replaced it. I'm sure Nappanee will be able to accommodate your desires for upgrading your sink and faucet while you are there, especially if you agree to pay a difference.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I use wire mesh protectors that sit on the bottom.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #9

We used a dishpan for washing in one side and put a rubber mat on the bottom of the other side for rinsing. (We had a smaller side on one and a dishpan wouldn't fit.

When finished the dishpan was stored under the sink and that's where we put our dirty dishes used during the day until time to wash - out of sight made for a clutter-free kitchen. Worked for us and no scratches.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:45 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I use wire mesh protectors that sit on the bottom.
We do the same - ours are plastic tho.......

We will need another faucet down the road too......!

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:48 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
We do the same - ours are plastic tho.......

We will need another faucet down the road too......!

g
Ours looks pretty bad after I tried to clean it vigorously one night. There might or might not have been alcohol involved.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #12

Plenty of perforated mats at home stores made to be used in sinks. Most are cut to fit.

2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr