Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Kitchen Slide Dead

We are on 10 day trip to Graceland with our new to us 2015 DS 4369. Everything was great along the way until our arrival at Graceland RV park.
FWS and bedroom slide went out fine. The kitchen one was dead.
Tried the fuse, it was fine. Called Newmar and just caught them leaving for the rest of the week. With the tech rep tried few different things, swapped the wires on the controllers, Nothing?
He told me nothing could be done until Monday.
We are lucky it died retracted.
So we are camping the rest of the trip on 2 slides
You all have a nice Turkey Day
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
We are on 10 day trip to Graceland with our new to us 2015 DS 4369. Everything was great along the way until our arrival at Graceland RV park.
FWS and bedroom slide went out fine. The kitchen one was dead.
Tried the fuse, it was fine. Called Newmar and just caught them leaving for the rest of the week. With the tech rep tried few different things, swapped the wires on the controllers, Nothing?
He told me nothing could be done until Monday.
We are lucky it died retracted.
So we are camping the rest of the trip on 2 slides
You all have a nice Turkey Day
I don't have your model but I will throw a few fast balls and see if you connect.
1) Reset the park brake, on most models the park brake must be set for slides to operate.
2) Is the ignition switch off, if so turn it on and then off, then try slide.
3) Look for the slide motor and trace wires, if you can see if you have power going to motor as someone pushes the switch.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #3

I feel your pain. I am sitting in the Newmar parking lot right now. Had one of our 4 slides die back in September. We are here getting them to look at it while they do some other annual maintenance.

Rest of the coach has been pretty bulletproof. Though the slides are the one thing about these coaches that I find hard to trust. One burp and you are hosed.

Good luck, keep us informed.

John
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:08 PM   #4

I had the same problem. Try turning off the battery disconnect switch and then back on. it worked for me
Old 11-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In the slide spec in QT's 1 & 2 slide section there is a trouble section to help check what might be going on.
If you have 12v slide locks gently tap the lock commutator or solenoid and see if that helps if the contact springs are rusting or dirty the tapping may free up some of the poor contact connections.
If the slide lock is causing the problem the slide will not move.
If you have some contact spray cleaner try spraying into the activator to clean up contact problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you all for the suggestions. It is already dark here, so I will try to wake up the slide in the morning.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:45 PM   #7

We had a similar situation on our last trip. Turned out to be a bad actuator slide lock. Through the help of a very nice man I disconnected the power for the actuator (located in the top corner of the cabinet) removed the the C clamp on the actuator so that it was free & then secured in the IN position. (it has a magnet contact). You will need to hold the switch much longer than normal to operate the slide - but it works.
Good luck
Old 11-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftiernay View Post
We had a similar situation on our last trip. Turned out to be a bad actuator slide lock. Through the help of a very nice man I disconnected the power for the actuator (located in the top corner of the cabinet) removed the the C clamp on the actuator so that it was free & then secured in the IN position. (it has a magnet contact). You will need to hold the switch much longer than normal to operate the slide - but it works.

Good luck

Thanks. I will try it tomorrow. I can see only one lock top forward corner.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:14 AM   #9

On ours the slide lock you can't see is in the cabinet covered with a plastic case.
When you removed that case you will have access to the slide lock actuator. It is probably the most difficult one to work on because of its location.
Good luck
Old 11-24-2017, 05:50 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will have two locks both ends of slide.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:51 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
You will have two locks both ends of slide.

Thanks 007
Old 11-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Locks not accessible from cabinet. The aft one totally out of reach?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2900.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	183808
Old 11-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are the locks not releasing? I am just shooting in the dark here but check your wiring for this slide (In the basement) if may be as simple as you shoved something in the compartment and dislodged the wiring or damaged one wire.

1. Check for something jamming the mechanism. On ours we experienced multiple issues with slides when we first got the coach. The bedroom bed slide wouldn't come in. In our case the problem was two fold. First my wife loaded the storage under the bed with books. One jammed under the bed frame and wouldn't let the room move in or out.

Our kitchen slide had the same problem but in this case the potentiometer on the controller had to be adjusted to apply more voltage to the motor to make it move.

2. The slides also (all of the slide) have mechanical stops. The stops are washers/nuts on the threaded rods that are mounted basement for the stop. You can see them when the room is deployed outwards. My mechanical stops were all loose (the jam nuts backed off from each other) presumably from vibration. It was easy to see where they were (the threaded rods were shinier at the correct location) so after careful adjustment (google in the search bar above in IRV2) I used blue locktite to keep them there.

3. Something you might try is get a couple of guys to help you and try to "bump" the room tight to that outside wall. Why? If it's only slightly missing the magnetic switches you may be able bump into compliance so it will open/close. Worked for us. Once open you can look at the mechanical stops and adjust the nuts and tightened them back up (if they're loose).

4. There is a voltage adjustment on the controllers that will let you apply more or less voltage to the motors on your slides. Each is adjustable with a potentiometer on the controller board.

If your room is sluggish opening or closing, this potentiometer can and does make a difference in how the motor operates or doesn't operate. Don't adjust this until you've done your homework. But, once you learn how do it be very careful. Clockwise turns increase voltage and tension of the room closing tighter and counter clockwise is the opposite of cours.

If and when you do this look at the potentiometer as if it were a clock. Move to increase or decrease one minute at a time. Each time you change try the room (best done with two people and a walky talky). Keep going (one minute at a time +/-) until the desired result happens. If you can't get it adjusted it's best to either seek professional help or replace the board (about $175 available on Amazon and Ebay as well as the factory).

Just to be clear, these were my experiences and yours may differ with your understanding and skills set.

Hope some of this helps you.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #14

Did you try a new slide controller? Which is located in the passenger slide aft bay just forward of the pegboard bay.
All the best,
Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide