Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2018, 06:40 AM   #1

Kitchen Slide Issues Again & Discounted Labor Rates??

Every trip and just about every stop I have issues with my Kitchen slide. It will either not work where I have to reboot it and now it is making loud bangs when I bring it in. Something is wrong and I don't believe a local service center can take care of it. I think part of the issue is the rear slide lock is very loose. It is so loose I am afraid of locking it and I may not be able to unlock it.

I just received my NKK magazine and there was a ad for discounted rates between certain dates. These dates run from January 1st to March 31st. I had already started to think about getting the slide worked on in route to the Hoot's rally next September. But the discounted rates is getting me to think of breaking my rule of never traveling during the Winter. So I have a few questions.

1) Any idea what could be banging in the slide? It is always just about closed when it bangs several times. If I could figure this out I would not need the trip. When I first start bring the slide in the real lock bangs, but the new louder sound is coming from the bottom of the slide. These bangs just started on this trip and they are very loud.

2) How high is the risk of hitting bad weather if I schedule an appointment for the last of March?

3) How much will the rates be discounted? Will it be enough to think of making a trip in the Winter time for the service work along. It is about 910 miles one way to get there. No forget that I will be heading in that general area next September. Right now I have plans for two trips before next September.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2018, 09:14 AM   #2

Is your slide Full Wall or Partial Wall? Raised Floor or Flat Floor?

Can we assume you have read the numerous posts regarding loose slide motor bolts and have inspected and taken action?
Old 10-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Is your slide Full Wall or Partial Wall? Raised Floor or Flat Floor?

Can we assume you have read the numerous posts regarding loose slide motor bolts and have inspected and taken action?
My slide is a partial wall slide and it is a flat floor (I think). It goes straight out unlike my full wall slide that raises up when it is brought in. When the loud bangs occur the slide is almost if not all the way closed. I plan on being in one of the compartments while my wife brings in the slide to try to figure out what and where the banging is coming from. I am home now, so I can look at it better.

I have checked the bolts numerous times, but I plan on checking again. Does it make any difference if I check them while the slide is closed or open?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
My slide is a partial wall slide and it is a flat floor (I think). It goes straight out unlike my full wall slide that raises up when it is brought in. When the loud bangs occur the slide is almost if not all the way closed. I plan on being in one of the compartments while my wife brings in the slide to try to figure out what and where the banging is coming from. I am home now, so I can look at it better.

I have checked the bolts numerous times, but I plan on checking again. Does it make any difference if I check them while the slide is closed or open?

Yup ... straight in and out is a flat floor.

Doesn't make any difference if slide is in or out when checking bolts.

Your plan (watching from a compartment) is a good idea.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ray....start with the slide in and check the paint alignment. Make sure all the stripes on the exterior line up. This will let you know if the slide has dropped or need adjustment.

Then, watch it as it comes in. If it's got a loud bang, you should be able to identify an area where it's coming from. Typically, the a loud bang like that is something hanging up and then quickly releasing. Look for the slide catching on the opening.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are some kitchen slide threads in PROBLEM SOLVING in QT's #3 that may help you there are bolts to guide the slide in and out of wall opening if these are loose or missing you can run into problems.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #7

Ray, have you taken the plastic covers off and reached way up to locate the motor bolts?
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:20 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
When the slide is extended look underneath at the metal strip with holes. Are any wallowed out?

Not sure if this is a trans torque issue. I’d contact Newmar and they may warranty fix it regardless of age.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:18 AM   #9

I plan on checking everything out once I get over my boo-boo. The day before we left the campground to come home I busted my head open on the kitchen slide. I was in a hurry to put a chair under the slide when it started to rain and hit my head on the edge part. It split my head about an inch long. The bleeding stopped fairly quick, but I keep getting lightheaded. No I did not cause the issue by hitting my head. It has already to start acting up.

I have taken the plastic covers off before to check the bolts and I was considering leaving them off. They are a PITA to put back on.

I also have looked at the metal strip with the holes. The screws all were tight the last time I checked. I did have to realign the strip with the space between them for something to slide through.

I have seen the bolts that 007 referred to and this will be the first thing I check.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm sorry to hear about your melon :(

Have you contacted your Newmar rep on the window sticker and see what they advise?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your melon :(

Have you contacted your Newmar rep on the window sticker and see what they advise?
Not yet - I want to check the bolts first.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #12
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The road salt keeps me from driving up north in the winter more than the snow and cold. You might be OK the end of March, that will book up first. We head north the first week of April.

For Nappanee the last week of March, average highs 51 and average lows 32. You could get some snow.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #13

Ray, you might want to remove the cover under the sink on the rear wall. This will expose the rear most part of the slide and you can check things out as you bring in the slide. On my 4037 the aluminum edge of the slide was pinching hoses and wires and making a terrible noise when operating the slide. I have had water hoses going to the sink burst 3 times. I have tried to reroute the hoses and wires. After rereading my post, to make myself clear, when you look under the sink it is the wood panel on the right that you remove. Bill
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
The road salt keeps me from driving up north in the winter more than the snow and cold. You might be OK the end of March, that will book up first. We head north the first week of April.

For Nappanee the last week of March, average highs 51 and average lows 32. You could get some snow.
This is why I don't want to go up there at this time of the year. Hopefully I can figure it out and repair it myself. If not then I will get it repaired next September. If it stops working we can still use the motorhome without opening that slide. I have done this several times already when it would not open.

Tags
slide