RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #1

KOA Franchise

Putting together the Class A RV Parks Map got me interested in looking at the business models for these entities.

KOA has put together a very nice KOA Franchise Sales page that walks through all the steps of building and operating a KOA franchise.

They want a $30,000 franchise fee and 10% of revenues with a 5 year agreement. What I found more interesting were the details around building a new KOA. They claim a minimum of 10 acres (sounds low), $1.8 to $2.3 million investment will get you a nice 75 RV site KOA. That works out to $30,000 per site construction cost. All sounds too low.

In another post on the forum by someone in the business claimed a high end RV park would require between $75,000 and $100,000 per RV site for construction. This makes more sense. Given the seasonal nature of this business I don't see how the math works for a new park without charging hotel like nightly rates.

Be fun to build a nice park but it would appear to be a poor investment. May explain why so many states have no new Class A RV parks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #2

And then there are those that complain about the cost of staying at a KOA. Granted some are better than others but many do have pools, laundry, play grounds, WiFi ( some actually work ), propane, and much more. All of which has to be paid for, as does the staff, taxes, Internet. All in I think their prices are fair. Higher than I’d like to pay, but I’m glad they have services that I use.

2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #3

So many people have no idea the cost of running a business . Obviously some are more profitable than others , but people seem to think itís all profit all the time
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The trend seems to be large corporations owning and operating numerous R.V. resorts.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:25 PM   #5
UAV

Stepside454 is absolutely correct. I have owned my own business for 24 years and it is amazing how many people thinking I am lying to them when I discuss overhead, employee costs, etc. with them.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:52 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We stayed at the Glacier NP KOA this summer. It's the one on the cover of the KOA magazine this year. It was not only the KOA of the year, but one of the nicest parks we've ever stayed at. It was in woods, perfectly designed, reasonably priced and spotless.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000371.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	588.1 KB
ID:	215043
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:07 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
KOA Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We stayed at the Glacier NP KOA this summer. It's the one on the cover of the KOA magazine this year. It was not only the KOA of the year, but one of the nicest parks we've ever stayed at. It was in woods, perfectly designed, reasonably priced and spotless.

Attachment 215043

I really like the light paint color on the top wall/roof area

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #8

I've stay at several RV parks in the past few years that used to be KOA's as evidenced by the unique architecture KOA uses. Several counter persons have told me they grew tired of paying KOA 10% of everything.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Attachment 215043
That KOA is done so well I wonder if it is a company owned property. If you dive into the KOA details you will find there is a KOA Company Owned Properties Division that includes "28 large campground properties".
Old 08-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
KOA Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
I've stay at several RV parks in the past few years that used to be KOA's as evidenced by the unique architecture KOA uses. Several counter persons have told me they grew tired of paying KOA 10% of everything.

The 10% may seem high, but think of all the Good Sam parks where independent RV resort owners are routinely giving up the same percentage ON TOP of the annual fee (based on revenues) they pay to Camping World, opps I meant Good Sams, for the privilege of being a GS Park.

One of our local parks used to be a GS Park, but they took down the sign because they didnít want to keep paying the fee. They still offer a discount for silver hair and military.

If you pay $30 a year for a KOA card, you also get 10%. I would guess the park eats that, but donít know. I doubt KOA is down-streaming any if that $30.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
The 10% may seem high, but think of all the Good Sam parks where independent RV resort owners are routinely giving up the same percentage ON TOP of the annual fee (based on revenues) they pay to Camping World, opps I meant Good Sams, for the privilege of being a GS Park.

One of our local parks used to be a GS Park, but they took down the sign because they didn’t want to keep paying the fee. They still offer a discount for silver hair and military.

If you pay $30 a year for a KOA card, you also get 10%. I would guess the park eats that, but don’t know. I doubt KOA is down-streaming any if that $30.
That's where free, crowd sourced sources like the Class A RV Parks map can really make a difference. Let the good parks keep the 10% to improve the park while all the folks who drive a Newmar stay at those parks and do the promotion among fellow coach owners.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
It seems there are lots of RV parks for sale around the country. Many old park owners that want to cash out and retire. I'd think buying a decent park and fixing it up would be less initial cost and depending on location could be a better investment.

I was self-employed for 30-years and sold my business a year ago. I'm happy to not have to work and pay overhead, etc anymore. Running an RV park is for the young entrepreneur. Us old guys are too grumpy to deal with those kinds of headaches.

Employees? Don't get me or any other business owner started on that subject.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
I really like the light paint color on the top wall/roof area
I think it's up for sale now Stuart!

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #14
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe Camping World can open a series of RV parks...

(reeling in the line)

NealC is online now   Reply With Quote