Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2007, 03:02 AM   #1

We are new to this forum. We are 5th wheel shopping, buying this summer. Kountry Aire is on our short list. However, an 07 Kountry Aire pulled into our RV park yesterday and they were very unhappy with their unit. They are in a lawsuit with Ron Hoover (Houston). They also told us that if Newmar finds out you're a fulltimer, they cancel the 2 year warranty.

Any truth to this?

Thank you.
Patski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2007, 03:02 AM   #2

We are new to this forum. We are 5th wheel shopping, buying this summer. Kountry Aire is on our short list. However, an 07 Kountry Aire pulled into our RV park yesterday and they were very unhappy with their unit. They are in a lawsuit with Ron Hoover (Houston). They also told us that if Newmar finds out you're a fulltimer, they cancel the 2 year warranty.

Any truth to this?

Thank you.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:24 AM   #3

Hi, Patski -

I just saw your post on this same issue over the the "big board", and was going to suggest that you post this here, but you beat me to it.

My wife and I are presently planning to buy a Kountry Aire, and while we are not planning on being fulltimers, I am also very much interested in what others here will say on this subject.

Does this warranty exclusion imply that Newmar does not believe their RV's can withstand the rigors of frequent use?

If true, does Newmar give all their customers the 3rd degree to determine whether they are fulltimers prior to performing any service on their rigs?

John
MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Patski to the Newmar forum and irv2.
Its to bad these people have not post their problems on this Newmar forum so we all would know what the problems are.
Not to many unhappy 5th wheelers on this forum in fact they are a silent group maybe this post will get them active.
If you look at this THREAD not to many problems with the Newmar line.
Thats not to say some people didn't have problems one comes to mind about side wall cracking a couple years back but Newmar stepped up and fix it as good as new.
I'll let some 5th wheelers move in now.
Enjoy the forum and good luck in what ever you find you will not go wrong with a Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:11 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Hearing that Newmar would cancel the warranty of someone that fulltimes ranks right up there with the most hilariously ridiculous "urban legends" I've ever heard and I can attest, as someone that's full timed over the past year AND been to the factory MUMEROUS times for service and warranty work that there's absolutely NO truth in that statement....

Let's nip that one in the bud right away.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:35 AM   #6

Rebelsbeach, that's exactly what we thought, but the woman said she could show it to us, it's right there in the warranty. We didn't ask to see it as it was late and we didn't want to call people liars whom we do not know. Thought one of your Kountry Aire owners could verify.

John, which Kountry Aire are you looking at? we were looking at the 36KSSH. I love the side bath which has a separate door to the toilet area. We were interested in the Torrey Pine 38LSHS, but there was a cargo carrying capacity issue with the one on the lot, only about 900 lbs. could be added with all tanks full. Not enough for fulltimers. But a beautiful unit.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:58 AM   #7

Some background on this one is prudent...

The urban legend that RV manufacturers in general will cancel a warranty because of fulltimer use probably has arisen from some gray areas of the law regarding full time "living" in a "recreational" vehicle. I am no lawyer, however, it is common to find dealers and even manufacturers who prefer not to answer this question directly due to un-clear legal ramifications - if there are in fact any real legal issues. Whilst one will frequently hear of the talk, I don't think anyone has had it happen.

I suspect the only industry to have defined "fulltime" is the RV insurance industry who typically calls it greater than 180 days. I doubt that definition is even a legal one, only a convenience one for the insurers. The RV manufacturers will HAVE to have some legal definition of fulltime fully disclosed before they can even think about applying it to the proven legal rights of a warranty.

Hence, the legend lives on. And, our warranties do too!
Old 12-22-2007, 05:00 AM   #8

We're looking at the KSCS, which has the separate toilet room with a sink on the curb side. This gives you a bit more dressing area than the KSSH, but not the total enclosure and privacy of the entire bath area as the KSSH. Otherwise, they are the same floorplans.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:08 AM   #9

John, we like that one too and it might be that I'll have to give up the idea of a side bath. Seems like it does take away closet space.

How do you feel about no desk area in the LR?
Old 12-22-2007, 05:16 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a discussion on the TORREY PINE that someone is happy with. Nice looking 5th TORREY PINE.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:16 AM   #11

I would prefer to have a desk, all else being equal, but I suppose we'll either use the kitchen table, or else get a fold-up type table to use.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:45 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
It is a shame that the manufacturers want to escape some of the warranty issue through this statemanet; "The recreational vehicle is intended for recreational purposes...". I have not found an occasion where the mfg.s would not cover an issue but I have counceled with customers on issues of severity after their warranty has recently expired and recommended they contact the mfg. but not to mention they are living in the unit. IF the problem is costly enough I think this is a way out (abuse) for the mfg. The upper end units again are more catered to than the bottom but the upper end stuff is more capable to withstand the contant use of a coach.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:40 AM   #13

With the Newmar Kountry Klub having its own Fulltimers chapter I doubt they would use this to void a warrantee. It may be a particular dealer has the facts wrong.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #14
SMC

We are happy with our Torrey Pines 5ver, altho' we haven't been able to use it much since it was delivered in Nov. and now it's snowing and the driveway is so icy.

We've spent time in it here and it seems to be ok. Plenty of inside storage for us and we've learned to leave stuff home when it comes to what we have to haul in the basement. We have a few issues to get taken care of in the spring when the weather warms up. Hard to work on the AC when it is in the minus numbers outside.

We've towed it a bit around town to get the feel of it and all seems ok.

We don't full time now so can't comment on the warranty issues. I've heard this before about Newmar and some of their rigs. Have no idea why some are ok for full timing and others not. With our Torrey Pines having the Polar Pack and all the inside storage space, it would hold a lot of stuff! It has a good carrying capacity, but with not full timing, we don't have to carry everything. I think some of the newer units are a lot heavier than our '06.

Good luck with your hunt.

'06 Torrey Pines
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote