RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2007, 02:46 AM   #1

Hubby is a contract engineer, so we fulltime and find it works quite well for us given his career choice. However, other than time off between contracts, we don't get to choose where we go for the most part. Seems like we spend a good portion of our time in the colder NE states, or down south during the hot summers.

Our current 5th wheel does not have dual pane windows, or heavier insulation, however it's done quite nicely. It's easier to keep it warm than it is to keep it cool though. While it'll easily maintain 78 degrees on a 100 degree day with no shade, I die in that!

How do the KS's do in the more extreme climates? 68 degrees would be much better in the above circumstances... what can I say, hot flashes!

Another question I have is on their cargo capacity. Unless I'm misreading the brochure, the dry weight is before any options, including dual pane windows, are added. I think on the model we like (37LSRE) there's around 3500lbs of cargo, but what's left after adding options like dual panes, W/D, etc?

There is a dealer here in Russellville AR where we're currently contracted, and they are supposed to have a Kountry Aire in sometime later this month, which will give us a better idea.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2007, 02:46 AM   #2

Hubby is a contract engineer, so we fulltime and find it works quite well for us given his career choice. However, other than time off between contracts, we don't get to choose where we go for the most part. Seems like we spend a good portion of our time in the colder NE states, or down south during the hot summers.

Our current 5th wheel does not have dual pane windows, or heavier insulation, however it's done quite nicely. It's easier to keep it warm than it is to keep it cool though. While it'll easily maintain 78 degrees on a 100 degree day with no shade, I die in that!

How do the KS's do in the more extreme climates? 68 degrees would be much better in the above circumstances... what can I say, hot flashes!

Another question I have is on their cargo capacity. Unless I'm misreading the brochure, the dry weight is before any options, including dual pane windows, are added. I think on the model we like (37LSRE) there's around 3500lbs of cargo, but what's left after adding options like dual panes, W/D, etc?

There is a dealer here in Russellville AR where we're currently contracted, and they are supposed to have a Kountry Aire in sometime later this month, which will give us a better idea.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:22 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If its a fairly new 5th you could call Newmar or request a booklet over their web site where they will ask you a bunch of questions.
The MH's have a winter pkg option with more insulation and fans that cycle with furnace to keep tank area warm and comfey. The duel pane windows are standard and would already be figured in the CCC postings. 5th's should have option also. I have had the option on all three coachs and it works great in cold snowey weather have never tried in Alaska thou.
Good luck in your hunt and visit again.
37LSRE
Is this the unit your looking at
Its on their web site welcometonewmarcorp.com
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #4

Thanks, we do have the brochure, and yes I know the floorplan is on the newmar site, but there's no interior pictures of that floorplan at all. I've emailed them requesting some.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #5

New Horizons Owners Club
I have a Kountry Star 5'er. It is a 2001 model, if I were buying it today I think it would be called a Torrey Pine.

In the past 5 years that I have owned this rig we have been in some blistering hot weather in TX, OK, AR & MO. I can tell you for a fact that the single-unit AC can not keep up.

I have dual pane windows and all the other cold-weather package stuff. It all helps but when that summer sun is beating down on you all day and then it stays hot all night, one AC is not enough.

On my next rig I will definitely get two AC's and each of them will be the biggest I an get.

Lots of power I know, but I will be living in it full time and want to be able to hold the temp to a reasonable number.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #6

I think the quality of the 5er's in the Newmar line equal that of the rest of their product spectrum. They are top shelf. I'm sure you will be pleased.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:14 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
JP, unless your trading in soon I'd put in a second AC should be wired and you may get a better trade if its in that area.
Plus you will be alot cooler this summer.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote