Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #1

Kountry Star starting problems

Sometimes my Kountry Star (Year 2000, KSDP 3565, Spartan Chassis 1999 Summit, with Cummins ISB 260 Diesel) fails to engage the starter but after repeated attempts with the key so far has. Battery boost had no effect. I suspect the solenoid but am confused as to its location. There is a solenoid looking device in the electrical compartment but it doesn't look like the one posted here in an old thread. I suspect the one in the electrical compartment is the main battery disconnect. Can anybody tell me where the starter solenoid is on this model. Any other suggestions or troubleshooting tips would be appreciated. I'd like to head this off before it leaves me stranded somewhere.
Rocky Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 09:20 PM   #2

Just a little issue with terms , solenoid and relay , .

There is one of each involved in your starter operation ; the solenoid is part of the starter , and when signaled by the relay , engages the starter drive into the ring gear and powers the starter armature to spin the drive .
The starter relay , takes low amperage power signal, from the ignition switch and if the relay is grounded by a signal from the transmission controller ; indicating trans in neutral ; the relay passes high amperage power to the solenoid on the starter.
Unfortunately over the years the name , solenoid, has been used to describe both .
If , when you turn the key , there is no noise from the starter , the relay is probably your problem ; I can tell you exactly where it is on a 99 Freightliner chassis , I've replaced mine twice; but for Spartan chassis , I'll have to say , phone Spartan with your serial number and ask for the location AND a picture of the part so you know what to look for.

Spartan Motor Home Support.
1-800-543-4277
www.spartanchassis.com
Old 08-23-2019, 04:35 AM   #3

Makes sense. I'm going to get the Boss Lady of the house to man the key today while I go to the electrical compartment to see if I hear anything different. Then I will take your advice and call Spartan to confirm our theories. Thanks for the info.

Rocky
Old 08-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Make sure bolts for starter mounting are tight, FOR GOOD GROUND.
Many other items in this link or below in my signature.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:30 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I had similar symptoms/problems with the starter on the Cummins 5.9L, 300 HP, ISB engine in the 2007 Damon Astoria 3774 I previously owned. At times the starter would engage, other times nothing happened. The problem was found to be a bad starter solenoid. The unfortunate thing was the solenoid was integral to the starter meaning the entire starter had to be replaced. After the new starter was installed, all of the starting issues went away.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #6

All,
I think I may have found the culprit - slop between the indicated position of the grearshift and the actual position of the transmission. So even though it indicated that it was in park, it wasn't making contact with the neutral switch. I am currently pushing the gearshift all the way up into park while trying to start. So far it has worked every time. I'm paying attention and keeping my fingers crossed,
Rocky

Tags
ems, problem, problems