Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #1

I see that Newmar is apparently ending production of the KountryStar as of '09.Does that translate to a drop in value for used KountryStars? I'm not planning on any move up right now but was curious as to how the end of a model affects is value? I don't imagine it will benefit values either for gas or diesel models.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #2

I see that Newmar is apparently ending production of the KountryStar as of '09.Does that translate to a drop in value for used KountryStars? I'm not planning on any move up right now but was curious as to how the end of a model affects is value? I don't imagine it will benefit values either for gas or diesel models.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My 03 has more value to us because of the storage room for wifes cloths not just shirt closets but full size ceiling to floor, good size tub shower and a great coach to drive. Thats why we still have it, it seems the older coachs have features the newer ones are lacking.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #4

Honestly I don't think it changes much of anything. Even over a small space of time, like 3 or 4 years the coaches are pretty different for the most part and have evolved (upgraded) during that time. You really have to just look at the coach, size and what it has, its original MSRP and go from there as a Dutch Star from 2008 will have many differences from one in 2005. Regardless of if the coach is still in production or not I don't think matters. Its not like these things aren't being changed and fiddled with constantly. Lets also not forget the Kountry Star was a good coach and Newmar is still in business. Its not like it was discontinued due to problems or the manufacture went under. Then I'd see a reason for the value to be less.

As to why they decided to do what they did I have no idea. Essentially downgrading the Dutch Star and making it a Kountry Star is stupid. It doesn't make a single bit of marketing sense having to re brand the unit at a lower price point. Especially when they essentially create even more confusion by making a Dutch Aire at the same point the previous Dutch Star was at. So now not only are you downgrading the Dutch Star you are somewhat cheapening the "Aire" designation by offering lower end models without the same warrant or chassis and it serves absolutely no purpose.

Just keep them the way they were, upgrade them accordingly and it makes much more sense. In a few years if you want to bump the Dutch Star to High Line then make it a Dutch Aire and move the Kountry Star up the ladder.

I know the Mountain Aire was not always high line but the past couple of years have changed that obviously, why they want to blur the distinction between high line and standard is beyond me especially in a market where you want to differentiate your product lines, not blur them.

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:29 AM   #5

I don't think it will make any difference in value. The KS coach quality does not change, the model is still available but may be by another name. The DS change, however will certainly cause confussion. I don't know any case where a manufacturer downgraded a popular coach model, so have no idea how it will play out.
But, as far as value, if you have a Newmar, it will always retain a high resale value in my opinion.

Peter
Old 03-24-2008, 06:28 AM   #6

Kountry Star had not been a big success for the
last few years, never like Dutch Star sales levels.

Newmar's "retooling" of the Dutch Star and addition of an "all-new model" are simply a case of badge engineering.

The retooling of the Dutch Star is just putting a different name plate on Kountry Star. Cap design changes happened on the normal schedule, as did the normal model year changes--it could be the decision to drop the Kountry Star name and tack on the Dutch Star name was taken very late in the normal new model year planning cycle.

The Dutch Aire is a way to keep the popular 43'
length at its price point, while putting the Dutch Star at a lower price point. There is nothing all-new about Dutch Aire beyond the name.

I am surprised to see polished porcelain tile in the Ventana and fluorescent lights on the ceiling of Dutch Aire. I was ordering dimmable
halogens for the ceilings of Mountain Aire and
Dutch Star as specials back in 2003.

If I owned a 2007 or 2008 Dutch Star, I would be a bit unhappy that the 2009 Dutch Star is selling for considerably less, because that could affect resale of the last of the real Dutch Stars, IMO.