Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2019, 06:58 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Kwikee steps

My entry steps will extend but wont retract. Problem started today. Steps retract about half way and then motor whines but steps dont move. If I give them a push they go up. Checked for obstructions and lubed everything. No
Change. Stopped for the night east of OKC, headed to Little Rock tomorrow, to Crains RV for assessment. Left steps retracted and unplugged power underneath so they stay retracted when door opens. Big step down but will deal with it.
Sound like the motor? Saw YouTube video about replacing. Looks easy enough. If Crain doesn’t have one in stock, anyone know the right one to get on Amazon. But if it extends ok, is that the motor?
2016 Ventana LE.
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2019, 07:04 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would expend an entire can of wd40 working them back and forth before giving up and buying new. I would be expecting to wash out sand and grit.. If I got them working, I'd then lube them up with oil.
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
After watching some YouTube videos, I think the little gear is stripped. I’ve had carpets on both steps which is probably a no-no.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My Ventana is at the factory this week with steps among the work items. They had to remove water from the wiring harness and redo the ground. I think the water in the harness was most at fault.

I haven’t seen how they re-ties the bundle yet but that would be a quick think to check if you can get under there

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:26 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Richard. The motor works - it extends fine. Retracting is the problem.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:26 AM   #6

You are actually very fortunate

While the step is extended, remove the cotter pin and then the clevis pin.
Now you can manualy push and pull the step to confirm that it's not binding. If it is, lube it and work it until it moves freely. Kwikee recommends a special lube. Motor replacement via Amazon is ~$75, and it's a pretty easy swap, but be sure you get the right one for your step. Run your rig's front wheels up some leveling blocks to get some working space underneath. Lastly, get a hair pin-type cotter pin as a replacement for the original cottter pin.
TomeAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:55 AM   #7

I just encountered the same basic problem with my steps while on my last trip. Steps would extend then hesitate then retract. They finally quit working all together. I ordered the motor and the gear box from Amazon for my coach.(used the part numbers) I replaced both units in about i hour. Turns out the gear had worn out. My steps work just like new again. I made sure to lube very good including the traversing rod where the gear linkage attaches under the steps. It is a very simple task to do once you have everything you need.( The bolts that hold the motor in place are metric size 11 on my coach). Good luck and safe travels!
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:38 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I recently had a problem with my steps fully retracting and it turned out to be a weak controller... Was not my first guess...but when replacing the motor didn’t change the issue, that was all that was left.

You never know with these things.
I am on my third controller.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
OK, took the coach to Crain RV in Little Rock, where I am now. They took the motor off, and we could see that the both the motor and gear are fine. The tech concluded the controller was bad. I'm only here until Sunday, then off to Atlanta. I need to figure out where to get a new controller.

How do you figure out the right part number? Looks like there's no kwikee.com anymore. I guess they were bought by Lippert?

I guess I should just wait until Monday to call Newmar to get the right part. For now, the steps are un-powered in the retracted position, and we just use a step stool to enter/exit.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:22 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmsfx View Post
OK, took the coach to Crain RV in Little Rock, where I am now. They took the motor off, and we could see that the both the motor and gear are fine. The tech concluded the controller was bad. I'm only here until Sunday, then off to Atlanta. I need to figure out where to get a new controller.

How do you figure out the right part number? Looks like there's no kwikee.com anymore. I guess they were bought by Lippert?

I guess I should just wait until Monday to call Newmar to get the right part. For now, the steps are un-powered in the retracted position, and we just use a step stool to enter/exit.
There are only a few controllers...maybe 2? You can Kwikee/Lippert and the can tell you. Amazon has them too...

https://www.amazon.com/Kwikee-379146...s%2C163&sr=8-1
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kwikee, and others can be found in the TECH LINK below in my signature.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
So the tech in Little Rock said it was the controller, so I ordered a controller and had a tech in Charleston come out to fix. He concluded it was the gear box and not the controller. So I ordered a gear box sent to northern Virginia where I am now. Then I watched a couple of more YouTube videos and decided it was the motor. Ordered a new motor from Amazon. Replaced the motor myself this morning - 38 degrees outside. Took about 30 minutes. Works like a charm now. Not bad for an accountant, eh?
Old 11-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The good news is that.....you have lots of spare parts on board.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There seems to be a rash of motor issues in the last 2-3 year models. I ordered a motor on Amazon as a spare. I think it was about $80.00.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, steps