Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2017, 08:03 AM   #113

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
I have no experience with the 2018 MA. In the Newmar SilverLeaf documentation it appears the SilverLeaf systems are reserved for the New Aire, Essex and King Aire. I see no reference to other Newmar models.

The MA has Silverleaf, just not MyRozie. I would expect that it would be as easy as connecting the Telematics Gateway (TM-555) into the RV-C bus and then configuring it accordingly. I’ve found references to the TM-555, but I haven’t found any literature on it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2017, 08:18 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
The MA has Silverleaf, just not MyRozie. I would expect that it would be as easy as connecting the Telematics Gateway (TM-555) into the RV-C bus and then configuring it accordingly. I’ve found references to the TM-555, but I haven’t found any literature on it.
Ok, there are some other folks who have posted here doing a "MyRozie" upgrade with SilverLeaf in place. You will need a TM-555. It also requires an ethernet connection to a router. Documentation is hard to come by.

turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #115

[Mod Edit]

I think this is the right approach. SilverLeaf is a peer network with all nodes equal. What is missing is a "smart" server harvesting the information and controlling the nodes. Looks like most of the logic in SilverLeaf takes place int the TM102 node.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:09 AM   #116

I'll start with I don't intend to offend anyone or want to push anyone into anything they are not comfortable with.

Me, personally I find tech fascinating and useful. To have monitors in a wet bay that could alert on potential leaks, monitor engine bay for fire / over heating, coach temps for swings outside acceptable ranges - those all sound fantastic.

Yes, I could walk over to check any of those but having the data on a smartphone that is always with me is amazing. I view it a bit like while driving I can glance at the fuel gauge or stop and stick the tank.

Yes, modern tech has the a ability for bad things to happen by others with malicious intent. But you know what, same goes for commercial food prep yet most of us continue going to restraraunts & grocery stores.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:31 AM   #117

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I was actually looking at using an MCP2515 based board as opposed to the ELM 327/329. I think both will work, any reason you're looking at the ELM chipset?

The WiFi Ranger setup includes an hAP ac lite AP which has available Ethernet ports for the TM-555 to connect, I'll just need to run the wire. From the picture I see that the TM-555 has an Ethernet connection as well as a data connection. Given that there are more than 4 wires on the data connector, the device connects to something in addition to (or instead of) the RV-C bus as the RV-C bus only uses 2-4 wires (CAN-H and CAN-L with power an ground being optional). Do you know what the TM-555 plugs into?

My initial design will be breadboard based either using an Arduino or RPi 3. Both have WiFi. The RPI also has an Ethernet port. There plenty of documentation and sample code out there for connecting the MCP2515 to the RV-C bus and the Arduino or RPi.

The MCP2515 was ordered from China. I hope to see it in the next few weeks.
flyboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:39 AM   #118

Coastal Campers
Once y'all get this figured out, please dumb it down for me (and maybe some others as well)....
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
Once y'all get this figured out, please dumb it down for me (and maybe some others as well)....
Y, don't worry about that...that's what we do
Old 12-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #120

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
[Mod Edit]

It appears that both the ELM 327(L) and ELM 329(L) will work with the J1939 @ 250kbps. The documentation indicates that the 327 is for ODB2, while the 329 is for CAN.

https://www.elmelectronics.com/products/ics/obd/

I agree that running the Ethernet cabling could be an issue for a typical user, thats partially why I'm using WiFi at this point. The final solution should have the ability to support both. I agree that the device should be generic such that it can work with cars and trucks too.

How about we setup a call to discuss this in detail? Send me a PM.
flyboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
Do you know what the TM-555 plugs into?
I assumed two data leads, +12, ground. Not sure what fifth wire is for.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #122

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does anyone know if the 2016+ DSDP has RV-C for any of the systems already?

Systems that are capable include the AC, Magnum Energy, and Girard Awnings.

I don't know about the KIB Multiplex, if that is using RV-C for its communications, or a dedicated comm cable.

I am fairly certain that not all systems are connected to the RV-C, and I know for a fact that there is not an RV-C display device. What I would want to do is locate the RV-C trunk, and attach a node (TM550) for wireless display, and then start attaching RV-C capable devices to the trunk.

If anyone has information on this, I would appreciate it.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure what your getting me into here is the first https://www.google.com/search?ei=kL0....0.4Sl1ibSaYxI.

SECOND SEARCH ANOTHER SEARCH SECOND PAGE

HOPE IT MIGHT HELP.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #124

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";4229944]Not sure what your getting me into here is the first [B][URL="https://www.google.com/search?q=RV-C+ATTACH+NODE+TM550+FOR+WORELESS+DISPLAY&sitesearc h=irv2.com%2Fforums%2Ff103%2F
search result[/URL][/B].
do you get results? I get nothing...
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #125
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
So I ask myself what are we talking about?
What the heck is RV-C?

RV-C FILES

We need RV-c to hook up this.

DAV L is doing this in his 2002 MADP REBUILD. I think its what he does for business.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:00 AM   #126

Hi 007!
RV-C is one of many ways for two electronic "boxes" to talk to each other.

Kinda like two people can either speak, write or do sign language to communicate. And if speak, they can agree to speak in English, Spanish or French.

Once two "box" companies agree to either create a new custom language that few people either have used before, or to use a language that is common (like choosing to speak in English vs. jibberish). RV-C is the "English" of those two.
It's an established and documented way to communicate common RV tasks.
Like "Extend the Awning".

RV-C communication is over data wires in the RV.
Typically, those wires are built into the wiring harness of the RV from manufacturer. Once the wiring is there, then each module (box) can be plugged into it. Once plugged in and energized, then two (or more) boxes can then communicate to each other.

In older technology vehicles, the communications is typically done by individual wires from switches to modules. Lots of wires for all the tasks.

Then in newer vehicles, digital communications have been used, but the language used may not have been publicly documented (the "Jibberish") which makes it difficult for a third person to understand what the other two are speaking of.

So the newest vehicles, that use RV-C, use a language that is documented so third party modules can relatively easily be built that can join the conversation.

So, in my case (as example), my 2002 was NOT built with RV-C (sigh...) so I will have to "ease drop" on the conversations of the modules by watching electrical voltage changes (what voltage is the grey water tank sensor and does that mean 80% full?). To invoke actions, I will have to put relays in existing circuits (turn on the coach LED lights) as example.

For vehicles equipped with silverleaf / Rozie, (newest technology vehicles), then I build a CAN module that my computer knows how to talk to, and the CAN module is then plugged into the existing RV-C network, and the CAN module then speaks in RV-C language to tell the existing awning module "please extend the awning". And listens to the data traffic to know "I just heard that the grey water tank is at 80% full". CAN is "Controller Area Network", which is kinda like "lets communicate via speaking".

My software knows how to talk to many different languages (protocols), and many different ways to communicate (serial, USB, ethernet etc). It knows how to listen to sensors, how to turn on types of relays, how to talk digitally to electronic modules etc.

Once my computer has the data (80% grey water level) it can present it, do calculations on it, or trigger things to turn on or off based on rules that are set within the software. Like, "turn the water pump relay off if the grey water tank is over 95%"

All of this is much easier to do if the vehicle supports RV-C and I can just leverage existing modules, with existing wiring, with existing documented ways to communicate than retrofitting custom ways to do same. But, it is possible

It is also possible to add RV-C / CAN wiring to a vehicle which would then support newer modules. Not easy to do for a complete deployment, but also possible.

I will be putting in an ethernet network in my RV (now done), WiFi communication network (done), a ZWave wireless network (done) and use my software to trigger commercially available modules that can turn on / off devices (like the fresh water pump). I will add a security system that can listen for switch states to know things like the baggage doors are open. The security system (Elk M1 Gold) will then tell my software [Mod Edit] that a particular door is open. The software can then display graphically that door state, or invoke things to happen on that event "don't allow the slide to open if the baggage door on that side is open".

Tags
rvs