Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #1

Ladders

We just bought a '17 MA from having a '11 Ventana. The Ventana had a ladder on the back to get onto the roof to do routine maintenance as the MA does not. That and the raised roof rail design also has me concerned as to the best and safest location to get onto the roof. What are owners using and carrying onboard to be able to do this? I am currently looking at a Little Giant or a telescoping style ladder but wanted to here from those that are using and what they feel works best and also any negatives that I should stay away from. Also what have you used to protect the coach from the ladder and body weight added leaning against it? Is there an end or side that is structurally better to get onto roof at. We have Girrard Awnings the full passenger side of the coach. I would love to hear your experiences on how any of you deal with this.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2018, 08:52 AM   #2

We have a 18 London Aire and are using a 16 ft. telescoping ladder which works great when we need to get on the roof. It stores right in front of the gen. upside down. It is almost as if Newmar planned that location for the ladder. We use a couple HD tie wraps to hold in place just as a added security.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Rick - Very happy with this ladder.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-MTIA...der/1000391651

Tom
Old 07-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
dms

X-Tend-A-Climb, 15.5 ft. Stores perfectly in center of slideout tray leaving plenty of room for storage of chairs, etc, on either side of the tray. Buy a swim noodle (large) and cut 2 pieces to fit between the second and third rung when extended to prevent scratching. Try to find a noodle with a 2" center hole. Slice the noodle and wrap it around the ladder side rails when you use the ladder.

Your coach is 13' 4" tall and the 15.5 footer gives enough over the top of the coach to hold on to when getting off/on the ladder.

I only found the extra long version (15.5') at Sherwin Williams. Lowes and HD doesn't carry the long version in my area. XTendaClimb makes a blue version and a stronger yellow version. The blue is all you need. I think it was $299.

Oddly enough, I have used mine twice, but others have "borrowed" it a dozen times.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #5
dms

Here's a link to the Xtend-Climb 15.5 footer.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...scoping-ladder
Old 07-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
We have a 18 London Aire and are using a 16 ft. telescoping ladder which works great when we need to get on the roof. It stores right in front of the gen. upside down. It is almost as if Newmar planned that location for the ladder. We use a couple HD tie wraps to hold in place just as a added security.
Newmar Man
Tom, I would like to do this - do you have a picture of how you have it mounted/secured?

Thank you.
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #7

I use the Gorilla ladder which is a knock off of Little Giant. Mine just fits in a slide out tray and gives me the security I desire. It extends like an extension ladder or makes into a great step ladder on level or unlevel ground. I use strips of adhesive foam stuck to the ladder to protect the coach paint. I tried an expanding ladder but did not feel as safe.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:11 PM   #8

I use two sections of wide noodles split with a razor knife along their length. Eighteen inch pieces work well on my Little Giant, one on each side. A length of duct tape aground each end of each noodle and you are ready to climb; it's so gentle on your motorhome you'll climb for fun!
Lol...good luck. Works on the sticks and bricks too. No reason to remove it.
Best wishes,
Jonnyboy
Old 07-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
17 foot roof line right? Your going to be short with anything but a 24 foot ladder. By the time you establish the proper climbing angle the top of your 17 foot little giant type of ladder will already be below the roof line. Then for safety reasons (as a retired firefighter speaking) you will want at least three rungs above the roof for getting off and on the ladder. I know nobody will ever carry a 24 footer but safety wise that is what you will need. Myself, I carry the Little Giant Titanium and one of those little fold up ladders which I hate but carry it anyway. When at home, I use the 24. Jim E. OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
17 foot roof line right? Your going to be short with anything but a 24 foot ladder. By the time you establish the proper climbing angle the top of your 17 foot little giant type of ladder will already be below the roof line. Then for safety reasons (as a retired firefighter speaking) you will want at least three rungs above the roof for getting off and on the ladder. I know nobody will ever carry a 24 footer but safety wise that is what you will need. Myself, I carry the Little Giant Titanium and one of those little fold up ladders which I hate but carry it anyway. When at home, I use the 24. Jim E. OKC
Took me a second...but I think you misread the OP.
He has a 2017 MA. The '17 was shorthand for 2017, and not a typo of 17' meaning 17ft...

The coach is a 13' roof line.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:53 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I bought the Telesteps 1800:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is 14'6", which provides 2'3" above our 12'3" roofline (should be 3'). I started with an Xtend-and-Climb, but retraction required pushing two awkwardly-placed buttons on each individual step as it came down, so I returned it. With the Telesteps, one retraction movement allows each rung to collapse and then release the next one above it automatically - well-controlled and much easier.

As to placement, we also have Girrard awnings filling the passenger side, so I use the driver's side. The strongest place to lean the ladder is where the two segments of the "parapet" join in the middle, because there is a structural member behind to support the joint between the two sections.
WardSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I use the follwing ladder with two 1' sections of a pool noodle to put around the side rails where it leans against the RV.
Telesteps 1800EP OSHA Compliant Professional Extension Ladder, 14.5-Feet
smoore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Took me a second...but I think you misread the OP.
He has a 2017 MA. The '17 was shorthand for 2017, and not a typo of 17' meaning 17ft...

The coach is a 13' roof line.
Yeah, I screwed that one up! Sitting in church today it hit me, 17 foot! That can't be right. Jim E. OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #14

On storing a telescoping 16 ft. ladder in front of gen. Put it up side down till it stops which will have about 4 or so inches above the top of gen. Used HD tie wraps at the top just as a safety concern. Have a friend with a 17 DS and says it to just fits in front of gen.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote