RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #43

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm not a LaMesa RV fan and am surprised Newmar is doing business with them again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! Maybe Newmar has no choice. If you go on Giant's web site they have a load of Newmar's left. Something is wrong out there. They aren't trying or their market does not like Newmar. Paul

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #44

Hi! On second thought maybe Monaco offered Giant a deal they could not refuse to dump Newmar. Monaco has lost a few to Newmar lately. Paul

Old 08-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #45

Well, there's usually one reason why a dealer drops a manufacturer(or vice versa)--not churning product.

However, whenever Monaco is involved, it can
get into the sticky wicket known as "The Monaco
Franchise for the Future".

The L.A. market has had Richardson's, Altman's
and Giant in the space of just a few years.

It's hard to build brand loyalty when the line
keeps moving from dealer to dealer, but the
current market reality for Newmar is that there just isn't a line of dealers waiting at the factory door these days.

Jeff Regan
2000 Dutch Star
Old 08-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #46

I am disappointed to hear Newmar might align with La Mesa. Against my better judgment, I looked at a used coach there once and had a bad experience with them. I keep having disappointments with Newmar and their business decisions since the Fleetwood guys came aboard. Somebody told me the other day that since they came aboard that Newmar has even fallen out of the top 10 manufacturers in sales. Really disappointed --- but La Mesa???? Is this real?? Good grief.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #47

That is a fact that Newmar is leaving Giant for La Mesa. This is why there are no 08's in-stock to see out west. I have a friend who is quite high up the Newmar chain that told me the change is due to "poor customer satisfaction with Giant's service". I kind of joked with him when he told me who they were switching to. Kind of "out of the frying pan and into the fire" if you ask me. I'm waiting on the first 08's to arrive the first week of Sept. in Vegas before placing my order on a VTDP 3933. Just can't convince the wife to order sight unseen off of photos....
It's come down to the Ventana and Tiffin Phaeton...I have to drive the Comfort Drive system before deciding. We'll see in a few weeks!

2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
socal114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 PM   #48

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by socal114:
That is a fact that Newmar is leaving Giant for La Mesa. This is why there are no 08's in-stock to see out west. I have a friend who is quite high up the Newmar chain that told me the change is due to "poor customer satisfaction with Giant's service". I kind of joked with him when he told me who they were switching to. Kind of "out of the frying pan and into the fire" if you ask me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Newmar would say that, wouldn't they? Especially after losing their number two dealer.

Now Newmar has made a deal with a dealer that they parted on less than friendly terms with earlier this decade, one that does not have a
stellar reputation for sales or service.

They have lost their dealer in the SF Bay Area,
San Diego, and Sacramento.

This is not the best of times for Newmar in a
huge market for them and all RV builders, California. It's a shame.

Jeff Regan
2000 Dutch Star
Old 08-21-2007, 10:03 PM   #49

I am concerned as well with the current state of affairs of Newmar at the present time. If it wasn't for the Comfort Drive system, I think I would have already moved ahead with the Phaeton. Very impressed with the coach.

2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
socal114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:12 AM   #50
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by socal114:
I am concerned as well with the current state of affairs of Newmar at the present time. If it wasn't for the Comfort Drive system, I think I would have already moved ahead with the Phaeton. Very impressed with the coach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think for a minute that Newmar is the only manufacturer with issues....Bob Tiffin recently came out of retirement to rescue his boys as from what I've heard, they'd created quite a mess down there in Red Bay...

Warranties cost money and every manufacturer is paring down their costs....

I keep hearing that Newmar's dropped out of the top ten and I'm sorry, but when you look at the one's that are now in the top ten, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how it happened...Newmar still builds quality.....not quantity.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:21 AM   #51

Facts is facts... Look at the NHTSA recall list for RVs. Newmar's last recall was in 2004. Before that was 2001. Compare that to the very long list of recalls from other manufacturers. Facts speak. Opinion and hear-say, well you know...

Newmar dropped out of the top 10 of what? Slapping units together just to get them out the door? That's a good list to drop off of.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:13 AM   #52

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RVDude:
Newmar dropped out of the top 10 of what? Slapping units together just to get them out the door? That's a good list to drop off of. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the point I've been trying to make is that when a manufacturer loses significant market share, it usually means a drop in profits which can have an effect on R&D, purchasing power, service and parts support and what we've been seeing with the dealer network--loss of dealers in key markets, which affects all owners from a service and parts standpoint.

Tiffin has proven that gaining market share and
building a quality product are not mutually exclusive.

Folks, Newmar's current market position is not a
positive turn of events for any of us. They are
not being as generous with warranty claims as the old days. My independent service shop does
not like dealing with Newmar on warranty claims
or even ordering parts.

Jeff Regan
2000 Dutch Star
Old 08-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #53
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My independent service shop does
not like dealing with Newmar on warranty claims
or even ordering parts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By the same token,I have specific knowledge of a dealer in the Southeast that is all but ready to DROP Travel Supreme because of not only the way they're treating his staff when trying to process warranty claims, but the way his customers have been treated in Wakarusa.

I DO have positive news that at least they're aware of this in Wakarusa as one of my good friends just was there with his TS Select Limited and after an initial "verbal shoving match" with the service/warranty folks he was able to get good service...

I know we won't change your mind Jeff, but I'd still submit this "warranty versus cost" and it's effect on R and D and such is industry wide...

Regrettably, the RV and housing market are both in the tank.....
Old 08-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #54
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tiffin has proven that gaining market share and
building a quality product are not mutually exclusive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope Bob can live forever, or he'll be hiring his own version of Dick Parks, as his boys have proven they can certainly run the business.....into the ground!
Old 08-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #55

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
By the same token,I have specific knowledge of a dealer in the Southeast that is all but ready to DROP Travel Supreme because of not only the way they're treating his staff when trying to process warranty claims, but the way his customers have been treated in Wakarusa.

I DO have positive news that at least they're aware of this in Wakarusa as one of my good friends just was there with his TS Select Limited and after an initial "verbal shoving match" with the service/warranty folks he was able to get good service...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob, this goes to show that the current market conditions are probably putting more of a squeeze on the little guys than the Winnebago's and Monaco's.

I believe that Newmar became more sensitive to
warranty costs when they started losing market
share, I'm sure they're not alone in this. I
believe that they had to drop the 3/50 B to B
warranty to survive. Labor costs have doubled
since 2000, when the 3/50 warranty started, while their bread and butter models became
soft in the market.

I think Newmar owners should not underestimate
the effect of Newmar's current market position.
There will be more repercussions to come, IMO.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #56

Whats funny Jeff is the two manufacturers you mentioned I don't think many of us would even have them on our list as possible manufacturers of our next unit.

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote