Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #15

Capt. Bill

Just signed off on my new 2014 MADP @ Newmar factory last Wednesday 12-11-13. They told me they are out into April 2014 on new orders & have increased their production from 5/day to 7/day. Factory delivery will cost you $2,800 extra. The way to do it- go up to Newmar once they have it completed & check it out - run all systems before it ships to dealer. I only had 2 minor issues on my new coach & they corrected them in less than an hour. Work with Michelle Howard- she's great !
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #16
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Yeow! That's really gone up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
Factory delivery will cost you $2,800 extra.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #17

Ordering a Newmar Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
Just signed off on my new 2014 MADP @ Newmar factory last Wednesday 12-11-13. They told me they are out into April 2014 on new orders & have increased their production from 5/day to 7/day. Factory delivery will cost you $2,800 extra. The way to do it- go up to Newmar once they have it completed & check it out - run all systems before it ships to dealer. I only had 2 minor issues on my new coach & they corrected them in less than an hour. Work with Michelle Howard- she's great !

Capt - just happen across your post. We are considering a 4369 MADP order and already spent a significant amount of time researching options and customizations. We have been to the factory a couple times - taking our 2009 DSDP 3625 for service (750 mile trip).

I would be very interested in how you optioned and customized your MA coach. But, something you said caught my attention... you "signed off at the Newmar factory"... did you work with someone at Newmar in their Design Center?

Although we currently live in NY we are working with a dealer we like in FL. We have planned for the Factory Delivery option right from the get-go, but are not clear about how much we can work directly with the factory to select options and request possible customizations versus working through the dealer.

What was your experience with the Newmar factory vs dealer during the ordering process?

And I see much written about a PDI taking several weeks but, also read that pick-up at Newmar usually takes about a week where the new owner can go through the coach and inspect/operate to have any anomalies corrected. Is the PDI and Factory delivery - two seperate line items or are they "one-in-the-same" ?
Former Coach - Newmar London Aire
JCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:49 PM   #18

Excellent Questions John. I was also wondering how a long distant buyer would be able to do the Factory PDI (which I'm reading can take 2-3 weeks) and still be able to be at the factory to watch your coach being made. Would this consist of one trip at time of assembling then maybe 3-4 weeks later another trip for pick-up of the coach?
We are considering a new Dutch Star but are just at the very beginning of looking at all the options and possibilities. Can almost get overwhelming.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Excellent Questions John. I was also wondering how a long distant buyer would be able to do the Factory PDI (which I'm reading can take 2-3 weeks) and still be able to be at the factory to watch your coach being made. Would this consist of one trip at time of assembling then maybe 3-4 weeks later another trip for pick-up of the coach?
We are considering a new Dutch Star but are just at the very beginning of looking at all the options and possibilities. Can almost get overwhelming.
Hi wagonmaster2

Yes, you're pretty close on the dates, if you want to see the build process and pick it up at the factory you're going to have to make a couple of trips that are not really that far apart. Also, keep in mind that you're probably only going to see the build process while on one of the twice daily factory tours. Your coach will be in the final assembly building for somewhere around a week. If your schedule is tight and you have to choose, I would vote for the factory delivery time and skip the build visit. The build visit is fun, but Newmar has videos on that. The factory delivery is when your coach becomes yours and you have the uninterrupted attention of a Newmar tech to both show you everthing about your coach and to fix, on the spot, any items that you think need attention. JMHO
Old 01-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
Hi wagonmaster2
If your schedule is tight and you have to choose, I would vote for the factory delivery time and skip the build visit. The build visit is fun, but Newmar has videos on that. The factory delivery is when your coach becomes yours and you have the uninterrupted attention of a Newmar tech to both show you everthing about your coach and to fix, on the spot, any items that you think need attention. JMHO

Best advice, Nforus!

Wagonmaster2, it's worth every penny you'll pay for the factory delivery. Having purchased a new coach from "the largest Newmar dealer in the U.S." -- and having had nothing more than a truly miserable PDI experience with this dealer -- and then, on the other side of the spectrum, having had factory delivery on our '13 Dutch Star 4018 which we bought from another dealer -- I would never do a new coach purchase without factory delivery.

I don't care how well intentioned any dealer is. Like Redbaron73 so aptly and so correctly says, the incentive for the dealer to do the kind of comprehensive and careful PDI that you want is simply not there -- and they don't. Newmar, on the other hand, truly excels at its PDI and factory delivery. You have their tech team who PDI's your coach on call 24/7 for the whole time you are there doing your shakedown of the coach. No rush, no hassle, no pressure to get you on the road and out after delivery. Just careful, respectful and quality treatment all the way.

Why would anyone want anything less with what we pay for these beautiful and complicated machines?

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:25 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
John & Wagonmaster you need to read the Hoot's threads in QT's # 3 and they will answer all or most of your questions.

There are new member's at the top of the link going through the process of options and a newly added thread about factory delivery also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Yeow! That's really gone up!
I know this is a stupid question, but are we really paying the factory extra money to do what should be done anyway when we're paying that kind of money for a first class product. I'm sure it's worth the extra expense for a factory delivery if that's what it takes to get the quality we expect but not all of us can take the time and do extra travelling distance to get this additional service. It's going to require quite some traveling just for us to get to see a Dutch Star on the lot but hoping it won't be too bad.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
What should be done anyway could mean a short PDI at dealers or the more detailed PDI at factory with a Tech assigned to you and your coach up to a week, some have said until as a newbie to a DSDP you know every operation of your coach.
Tech also has all problems fix during the PDI whether its him or another Tech.
Some people pay same price but may not require a full week because they have owned Newmars before.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:59 AM   #24

Dear JC3625Cape - yes we have several 'Specials" on our 2014 MADP 4364- Essex countertops, carpeting, leather, 2 extra wardrobe closets in Bdr.- wife is a clothes nut! I also had LED rope lights put under the DS slide outs, wiring for a 5th TV- out side in pegboard compartment, Special exterior colors (Essex 2012 Fenwick) 2 swivel/recliners in lieu of 2nd couch. Newmar accommodated us very nicely on our specials request for added $$$$$. We met & worked with Michelle Howard - customer service coordinator PH-574-773-6421- she's great to work with! Before Newmar will start a build on your coach you will have to sign off on all options & specials. Make a 7-10 day trip to Nappanee near end of assembly schedule so you can see it just before it's painted & after it comes out so you can do a PDI @ Newmar. Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #25

I totally agree that the factory should go over all new coaches and it shouldn't be any different if you pick it up from your dealer. I live in California and our coach is supposed to be ready by the end of January. The difference in weather, the time for travel, the cost of travel, cost of hotels, lost time from work. I shouldn't have to do these things to insure that I get a quality coach.
umcontractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by umcontractor View Post
I totally agree that the factory should go over all new coaches and it shouldn't be any different if you pick it up from your dealer. I live in California and our coach is supposed to be ready by the end of January. The difference in weather, the time for travel, the cost of travel, cost of hotels, lost time from work. I shouldn't have to do these things to insure that I get a quality coach.
IMO, your last comment is absolutely correct, but sadly and unfortunately, isn't reality in the RV market these days. Even if they "only" make 10% on the sale, dealers won't spend much of their many thousands of profit on the customer- after the sale.
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #27

I guess for a factory delivery you must make the purchase from your dealer of choice, leave him your trade-in (at that time or just when the new coach is ready??), then travel to the factory when your new coach is ready for pick-up and pay them for the PDI.

Do you generally try to work with a dealer fairly close to the factory so all your travels can be in the same direction at the time for pick-up? All this sounds like it can get really complicated.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:48 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I guess for a factory delivery you must make the purchase from your dealer of choice, leave him your trade-in (at that time or just when the new coach is ready??), then travel to the factory when your new coach is ready for pick-up and pay them for the PDI.

Do you generally try to work with a dealer fairly close to the factory so all your travels can be in the same direction at the time for pick-up? All this sounds like it can get really complicated.
wagonmaster2 ... some good questions. Actually it's not as bad as it first appears.

If you do not have a trade in, then it's really easy as that pretty much opens up every Newmar dealer in the country. You can do everything over the phone/internet and the selling dealer will never see the coach as they only process the paperwork and you will go to the factory to do the delivery and pickup.

If you do have a trade-in ... then you might need be a little more selective of the selling dealer as to your location because you will need to get the trade-in to the selling dealer at some point in time. But I know of one person (Deek) that lives in PA and bought his new coach from a CA dealer and they actually came and picked up his trade-in. So it's all in the initial deal points as to what you can work out.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote