RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #1

Leak in ice maker

We have a 4 door dometic fridge with an ice maker. It seems that it stopped making ice and we noticed a small leak in the back where water has leaked and formed a small ice cicle. The ice maker no longer makes ice. So I am assuming it is frozen up where the water comes out or where the leak is.

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so how did you repair? Or do I need to call a repair person?

Our coach is a 2005 DSDP.

Thanks for any help.

myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #2

One of our ice makers did that awhile back. A piece of ice got in the water chute. Then it froze up. I removed the blockage and it has work for months since. Defrost and clean the whole fridge, and it should work like new.

KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The water line from the solenoid to the inside of the freezer is very low quality and it splits and what you see is what you get.. I shortened mine a few times and finally pulled the thing and put in rubbermaind ice cube trays.. They work better and faster making ice.

If you want to replace the line any hardware will have better tubing, but... You may have to pull the fridge to do the replacement.. I'm not yet up to the point where I can do a job like that.. And I don't care to pay someone else to do it. So I use the trays and am very happy with 'em.. plus the added freezer space from removing the ice maker.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi myshaggydog,
On this point, wa8yxm and I are the same.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #5

Thanks all for your responses. I think you and Gary are correct since it is an older coach. My wife would be Happy if I got rid of the ice maker. But I am wondering if water leaked all over when I moved from the Dealer to our present spot. It was making a lot of ice while we stayed at the dealers for 3 days.

I am going to defrost the side with the ice maker, if possible first. And see if it still leaks. if still leaks then I am going to pull out and go the old fashion way of making ice. LOL

Anyway I will let you all know how I made out. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #6

Update on our ice maker.

Now that we are parked by our kids garage, I decided to tackle the ice maker problem. I pulled out and decided to spend the $50 on a whirlpool ice maker at Lowe's since it matched the old one. Took me about an hour and it is working great. So far no leaks. So I am hoping it was the old one that was leaking. It really looked awful and pieces of the coating were coming off.

Now I have to determine why the AC part of the fridge won't work, Just works on propane. And figure out the automatic stairs problem, change out the 900 lb TV in the front of the RV for a flat screen one and pull up the rug in the bedroom and replace with something else.

A man has to have something to do or we get lazy. LOL

Thanks for listening.

Ya'all have a great day and Happy RV'ing.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #7

For the fridge not working on AC, check in the back and be sure the plug hasn't worked loose. Had that problem with mine and found it had become unplugged. If it is anything like mine, the plug will not be easy to get to.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #8

Thanks Tom. SO far I have checked the plug, tested the AC receptacle with a meter, checked the circuit breakers in the coach. I think it has something to do with the heater elements according to the read out on the fridge, "no" AC. I did try and reset but once you do that and the AC power does not come on, the fridge locks out the heater elements. The manual says at this point I have to take in for servicing.

Since the unit is working on propane, it has now dropped down on my "list of things to do" until I get back to Florida and have Independence RV service.

Again thanks Tom. I wish it was the plug. Take care and happy RV'ing.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #9

Was hoping we'd get lucky and have it be something simple like that. Hope everything holds up until you get back. Safe travels!

Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak