Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #1

Leaking fuel caps revisited

Hello everyone!

I am the new owner of a 2008 Kountry Star. I have the infamous leaking fuel caps. I saw on another thread some owners replaced the vented caps with none vented caps. My question is; is the fuel tank vented other than the fuel caps? Is it okay to replace the vented with non-vented caps.

Thank You, Gary
TUCSONRAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCSONRAIL View Post
Hello everyone!

I am the new owner of a 2008 Kountry Star. I have the infamous leaking fuel caps. I saw on another thread some owners replaced the vented caps with none vented caps. My question is; is the fuel tank vented other than the fuel caps? Is it okay to replace the vented with non-vented caps.
Gary, The fuel cap is a component of the emission control system and it should be one of the extended warranty items. I would say that it is not OK to arbitrarily change the gas cap. If it is leaking for whatever reason, please contact the chassis builder to resolve this issue. The incorrect cap may set a SES lamp in your IP and compromise your emission warranty.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:06 PM   #3

fuel cap

This is on a diesel pusher motorhome with a Spartan chassis and a 8.9L Cummins. I know on gas coaches it is part of the emissions. Does anyone know who installs the fuel fills? The chassis or coach manufacturer. Thanks again, Gary
TUCSONRAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCSONRAIL View Post
Does anyone know who installs the fuel fills? The chassis or coach manufacturer.
Gary, The fuel fills on your coach were no doubt installed by Newmar. The parts were also most likely in the dunnage box when they arrived in Nappanee from Spartan.

I would call Spartan tomorrow and ask them.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:49 PM   #5

I have had the leaking fuel caps from day 1. I called Newmar and they told me to take pictures of the cap and the inside opening of the fill tube. After sending the pictures, the only help they could give me was to say for me to grind or drill away the lower side of the flange that sticks up about 3/8" just inside the fill tube. They said the flange won't allow the fuel to run back down. holding some fuel at the top.. made sense to me so I flattened down the flange..No change, I still have leaking fuel caps. So I will watch this thread very close to see if anyone has an answer. I thought about using ventless caps also, but don't know if the vent at the cap is a must. I also thought about venting somewhere else?? Don't know just watch and see. I do know I get tired of wiping the fuel off the side of the coach at every stop..VACMAN
VACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gary,
From one Gary to another, I put locking fuel caps on my coach. My fuel tank has an overflow/vent tube running down the front of the tank. I never had a leaking fuel cap. The locking caps are Stant brand, 21591. They come in a set of two. The caps are keyed alike.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:41 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We also had a problem with leaking fuel caps. Solution went to NAPA and got 2 locking fuel caps problem solved. Same information on caps as GaryKD

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ditto on the NAPA locking caps.
I also take two or three of the paper towels at the pumps and roll them up and shut them inside both fuel doors under the caps. They don't show when the door is closed and will catch a few drops if it leaks and keep it from running down the fender. It's also a hazard of filling the tank right up into the neck as I tend to do.

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #9

I would try the unvented locking caps also, If I knew for sure that my 425HP engine does not have to have the vent at the caps to run properly. Is my coach vented at 2 places? VACMAN
Old 06-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #10

Just wondering, (THAT COULD BE DANGEROUS), Anyway I have vent tubes that come from the tank and are connected to the fill neck just behind the cap. If I was to take the tube loose where it goes into the fill tube,(this is higher than the top of the tank) connect here and run a tube to the ground and put a screen on the end. Then I could put a locking cap on, and the vent tubes would still be able to vent.. Whaca think ???
Old 06-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi VACMAN,
Check all 4 sides of the fuel tank. Do you see a black rubber tube coming down the side of the tank?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I had the same problem on our 08 Ventana, I found that if I pressed down on the cap with some pressure it would rotate in the closed direction another 1/8th or so turn which stopped the leaking problem. When removing cap I also need to put additional downward force on the caps to get them open. Found by closing them a little bit more the spillage out the fuel opening stopped. Its almost as good as a locking cap because it won't just spin off. Fuel station attendents in Oregron at not to fond of me, but at least I no longer have that telltale diesel dribble down the side of the coach.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #13

Gary,, I crawled under the coach (tight fit) i could see a black tube coming down the side of the tank. I could not see where it went to, i tried to blw air,(by mouth) but could not get air to go thru. I even took one of the caps, but still could not get any air thru. so I guess it is not a vent for the tank..

Spike,,, I have also tried tightening the caps several extra clicks, but this did not help me..

VACMAN
Old 06-03-2010, 08:40 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
This is my first post, been lurking for about 2 months. Thought I might be able to add somethig here.

I was in Nappanee for some warranty repair last month. Bought my coach new in May of 2009, it was a leftover and the deal was sweet.

While I was there I mentioned fuel leaking from the caps on both sides after a fill up or in the hot sun ever since I purchased the coach. There is an o-ring on both of the fuel caps which didn't seem to be sealing. The tech showed me that the threaded portion of the filler tube was press-fit into the tube itself. The threaded insert was too far out to allow the cap o-rings to seal, even though the cap was screwed down tight. They drove the threaded insert slightly deeper into the filler neck so that the caps sealed up and so far this is working. I didn't know for sure until I cleaned up the sides of the coach since Newmar service just left fuel all down the sides of the coach (Grrrrr) but that's another story. I've also been careful as to tighten the caps enough to seal, but not hunker down on them and over tighten as I'm afraid this may draw the threaded insert back out and cause the problem to re-occur.

This is on a 2007 Kountry Star. Your model or type may vary.

Tommy
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote