Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 07:32 AM   #1

Leaking kitchen Faucet

I've been having a problem with the kitchen faucet in my 2015 Bay Star leaking into the cabinet below. It doesn't leak all the time so finding the problem has been an issue. Today, I found water dripping from where the pex tube connects to the plastic nipple under both the hot and cold water faucets. I already had the pex tube reattached on the hot water faucet thinking it might be loose. Now I'm thinking the nipples may be the issue. I have an adjustible pressure reducing valve on the incoming water set at 45 to 50 psi. The other faucets in the coach do not leak. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to remediate?

As an aside, the water has ruined the shelf below the faucet as it was not water resistant. I will have to address that after I get the leaking fixed.

Thank you.
conlar318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd get some teflon tape used to seal pipe threads. Disassemble each joint, wrap the male fittings with the tape, and reassemble the hot and cold connections.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Larry, with the bouncing around your coach takes, anything can loosen up.
Its possible the fittings are cross thread you may need some plumbers tape to stop leak.
Electrical connections can have problems also with vibrations while on road.
All the links below in my signature will have info for your Newmar.
In the BAY STAR Section of QT's # 3 may find more ideas.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. I added the Teflon tape. Will let you know in a few days if it worked.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:53 AM   #5

Tried the Teflon tape. After 3 days, cold water did not leak but hot water did. I added more Teflon tape, but home now. Going out again next weekend so will check again. Thanks again for suggestion.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #6

Bay Star Sport 2705

On my unit the faucet is capable of a kitchen sprayer. However there is no kitchen sprayer. Instead, there was a plastic cap to seal the sprayer line. The line being capped is vertical, with the cap on the bottom. It cannot drain. Guess what happens during freezing weather to a water line that is full and no place for the water to expand? It breaks the cap, if you're lucky. That's what happened to mine, the plastic cap cracked. The drip fell onto the hot or cold lines making me think they were the culprit, but it was the cap.

I have replaced the plastic cap with a brass one and it is part of my winterizing checklist to remove the cap and leave it off until dewinterizing.

Take a good look in the mess of tubings under the faucet. The copper lines are soft copper and bendable (within reason). You can move them out of the way.

I recommend PTFE pipe thread sealant over Teflon tape.

Sorry about the photos being sideways. PC's and Crapple don't play nicely together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1961.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	163284   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1962.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	163285  

Name:	IMG_1964.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	163286  
Old 05-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #7

To bydnar, Newmar must have been short on plumbing supplies when they built my unit. I see copper and braided lines in your pictures and a line for the hose sprayer. My unit only has a hot and cold pex line to the faucet and no sprayer option. The Pex lines aren't even blue for cold and red for hot. They are both white. I'll keep the pipe sealant in mind if the Teflon tape doesn't stop the leak. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Beside the threads, there may also be a rubber gasket in the connection between the faucet and the supply line. The gasket may need replacing to stop the leak.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by conlar318 View Post
To bydnar, Newmar must have been short on plumbing supplies when they built my unit. I see copper and braided lines in your pictures and a line for the hose sprayer. My unit only has a hot and cold pex line to the faucet and no sprayer option. The Pex lines aren't even blue for cold and red for hot. They are both white. I'll keep the pipe sealant in mind if the Teflon tape doesn't stop the leak. Thanks.

The issue of "colors" for PEX pipe are odd/confusing at best. RED = hot, BLUE = cold, and white is?????? I did some repairs on my 2010 Tiffin after a fitting cracked and noticed that there was no rhyme or reason to what color pipe was used for what temp water. Thought it might be that the previous owner did some repairs and just went with whatever color pipe was handy. Happened to be at the dealers a few days later and looked under the sink where I had my problem only to find the factory seemed to use whatever they had handy too.

Just ASSUMING a professional plumber would follow the color scheme system, then what is white suppose to signify? Copper plumbing pipe is the same color for hot and cold. I'm guessing the colors for PEX were a good idea but old time plumbers are color blind from years of sniffing solder. My back up theory is that when an RV electrician gets ready to retire they move him to plumbing and we all know there is zero logic in how they do wiring.

God bless all who served in the military on this most significant day. I salute each of you.

MrB1LL
USAF Ret
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:03 AM   #10

Off Topic, but a reply to my earlier comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bydnar View Post
Sorry about the photos being sideways. PC's and Crapple don't play nicely together.

I've done an experiment on photos for the forum. On a Crapple device, the orientation of the device when taken seems to make all the difference. In the future I will always attempt to take photos in the landscape orientation. My definition as the home button to the right when taking a picture.

Uploaded directly from device, to a PC and iRV forum. No other interaction.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3055[1].jpg
Views:	63
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	163389   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3056[1].jpg
Views:	69
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	163390  

Old 05-29-2017, 07:19 AM   #11

Leaking kitchen Faucet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bydnar View Post
I've done an experiment on photos for the forum. On a Crapple device, the orientation of the device when taken seems to make all the difference. In the future I will always attempt to take photos in the landscape orientation. My definition as the home button to the right when taking a picture.

Uploaded directly from device, to a PC and iRV forum. No other interaction.

While viewing the photo in the IOS Camera app, click on the Edit icon at the top (looks like three sliders) then the crop/rotate tool at the bottom of the editing screen. Crop and adjust orientation as desired. It's mighty hand when shoving the phone into a hole and shooting blind.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:30 AM   #12
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd get some teflon tape used to seal pipe threads. Disassemble each joint, wrap the male fittings with the tape, and reassemble the hot and cold connections.
I also agree.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #13

We've had the same issue with kitchen faucet in our 08 Mountain Air. Simply replaced the cartridge in the actual faucet and leaking stopped. Depending on your faucet model, the cartridges are available on Amazon for about $8-$15. We also had the same issue in one of the bathroom sinks. Now we carry a spare cartridge.

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:40 AM   #14

As Bob says, there may be an issue with the PEX washer-its cone shaped and if over tightened may leak. I found the right size PEX washers at a hdwe store and carry extras with me. Also, more than one or two wraps with teflon tape is enough, more is not better.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak