Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #1

I posted before about how water will run off the slide when the Girard awning is deployed, undoing alot of the purpose of the awning...someone suggested that the roof seal must have a gap...well....I found the problem I think....when on the ground and looking up at the central mount, I can see the sky through 2 4 inch wide gaps around the mounting bracket near the roof....this MUST be where the water comes onto the slide from...I was on the roof to figger it out.....there are gutters with silicone caulk at the ends..these gutters are interruped by the roof mounts, so basically there are several gutters that are closed at the ends, especially the central portion where the gaps are..so when it rains hard enough, this channel overflows into the gaps and onto the slide...
Who has a Girard awning and what is done with these gaps? I just enlarged the dams at the ends of the gutters with more silicone caulk, but there will still be overflowing onto the slide...I am about to use expanding foam to fill the gap..I just dont see another fix for this...Did the factory forget to do this on mine????? Please check yours and let me know how to fix!? Thanks
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #2

I posted before about how water will run off the slide when the Girard awning is deployed, undoing alot of the purpose of the awning...someone suggested that the roof seal must have a gap...well....I found the problem I think....when on the ground and looking up at the central mount, I can see the sky through 2 4 inch wide gaps around the mounting bracket near the roof....this MUST be where the water comes onto the slide from...I was on the roof to figger it out.....there are gutters with silicone caulk at the ends..these gutters are interruped by the roof mounts, so basically there are several gutters that are closed at the ends, especially the central portion where the gaps are..so when it rains hard enough, this channel overflows into the gaps and onto the slide...
Who has a Girard awning and what is done with these gaps? I just enlarged the dams at the ends of the gutters with more silicone caulk, but there will still be overflowing onto the slide...I am about to use expanding foam to fill the gap..I just dont see another fix for this...Did the factory forget to do this on mine????? Please check yours and let me know how to fix!? Thanks
Old 09-15-2008, 01:48 AM   #3

I have a '05 4304 with a Girard awning. My awning has a soft rubber "gutter" installed between the awning frame and the roof. In my opinion, the "gutter" is too narrow to properly fill the gap and provide enough surface area for adhesion to the frame and the roof. It was overcoated with silicone at the factory.
I have had some leaks, and have one now, at the rear portion of this seal. I think it is caused by the weight of water runoff separating the gutter from the roof.
I have applied more silicone, but as I said, it is leaking again. At least it remains sealed over the slide.
Your idea with expandable foam is a good one, except I would be concerned about the mess.
How about making a gutter with eternabond? I may end up overcoating mine with eternabond.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:27 AM   #4

I have the same problem, but it is at the rear mounting brkt. Water runs down the side of the coach. Had the outside entertainment bay door open,water ran to the door hinge and in to the compartment almost lost my tv. The area around the front bracket does not leak in my case.

2005 PT Cruiser Turbo Conv.
MA4529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:29 AM   #5

When on the roof, I noticed that the central part of the gutter is a 'dead end'....there is a silicone dam at both ends..obviously this will overflow somewhere, and with the 2 gaps where I can see sky must be where it overflows to...I will have wifey stay on a ladder while I get on the roof with a hose and see the hydrodynamics in action...the foam mess would be hidden because the gap is not easy to see from top or bottom...just poor design IMHO...I may call Newmar about it..
Old 09-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #6

Larry & Pat, Sorry to hear your going through the whole leaking dilema. We have the exact same coach and ours did the same thing. Ours leaked down that slide also. We had to have our underbelly replaced on the passenger side slide. The water runs down the slide and backtrails under the bottom of the slide into the coach. Since the underbelly was replaced, what we do when in rainy weather is we put a peice of tape along the front bottom of the slide and leave half of it hanging below the slide. So that the water can not backtrail underneath the belly. Instead, it will drip off of the tape onto the ground. Feel under the slide and see if you feel any softness up towards the front outer corner or if the eyebolts show signs of rust or are sucked up into the wood. That would good indicator that water has gotten into there. Since it happened to us we have seen others that have also done the same. We did notice that Monaco is putting a drip rail on each of their slides to prevent this from happening. Newmar is aware of the problem, but haven't done anything about it... You may also want to check your sidewalls for small hairlike cat scratch marks in the darker areas. This is called checking and eventually it gets worse and spreads as time goes on. Check your roof also, for small pinhole looking spots, mostly in the non-slip walk area. We had to have our whole roof replaced because of major waterleaks coming through these small holes in heavy rain. They don't look like much but, they definitley leak which creates mold quickly! Hopefully you purchased it recently and still have some warranty left. Good luck and let us know if we can be of any help.

Larry & Naomi
2006 MTN AIRE 4304
lnwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:30 AM   #7

wow...thanks for the scarey reply
I dont think mine is that bad a problem...we have not been in long term wet weather, but the problem APPEARS simpler than that...simple runoff from the top of the slide, only after a hard rain..and after studying the gutter system on top, as I said, if I can see the sky from below, when that gutter overflows, it MUST be coming onto the slide from there...have not had a chance to do the hose on the roof test yet, but thanks for the heads up...I will check closer...