Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2016, 09:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias7000 View Post
An interesting read on the ags setting.
Not sure where that recommendation came from. I can say for sure it's not based on actual 12 volt battery chemistry/physics. It's plain wrong.

RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Our tech at the dealer set our AGS to 11.75v. Gave me a long explanation about it (I have it recorded on video somewhere). We have the typical wet cells with the back bottom and bright green tops. If anyone wants to hear the tech explain the setup let me know and I'll go dig up the video and post it.

Next week we have high 20's and low 30's for a few days in portland. So I'm going to go set up zone 3 to keep the bays and plumbing warm and hopefully all my water pipes from freezing. I'll set the gen to run when the batteries get low. The inverter I expect should be set to on run the Oasis unit? I think the blowers are all 12v.

I do have a single 100w solar panel, but that won't do the trick for a full charge during the day.
Tobias,
So you are going to leave your burner on to heat the water? The inverter won't heat the water, and the generator won't turn on to provide the 110 either. The only way you heat water without being plugged in is the burner.

BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:59 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Definitely clean out the refrigerator if it's electric. You won't be plugged in, will you? Arizona's night freezes won't be a problem as it warms up in the morning to above freezing. I'd turn everything off.
X-2
Old 12-12-2016, 09:45 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Tobias,
So you are going to leave your burner on to heat the water? The inverter won't heat the water, and the generator won't turn on to provide the 110 either. The only way you heat water without being plugged in is the burner.
My theory is this. The Hydro hot burner stays on to heat the antifreeze fluid. It heats the radiators in the plumbing bay and rear bathroom (zone 3 on my coach). When it gets below 40 (lowest setting on my thermostat) the heater blowers turn on and warm the coach up by forcing the air through the radiators. Over time, all these 12v blower motors and Hydrohot circulation pumps draw down the house batteries. When batteries reach 12.2vdc (the highest setting I can choose according to Magnum), I am hoping the generator starts up and recharges the house batteries.

What I'm not yet sure of is if I need to have the Inverter on or not. I'm not using 120vac. But the inverter and ags are a sort of "system". When I run the ags test and the inverter is off, the generator will start. So it appears like my plan should work. I'll have a chilly night coming up here soon in Portland and I'll venture over the the storage area to see if my coach stays warm and the genset autostarts automatically.

Any wisdom or experience appreciated.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #19

Quote:
What I'm not yet sure of is if I need to have the Inverter on or not.

Any wisdom or experience appreciated.
You do not need to have the inverter on to charge the batteries, simply press and hold the INV button on the ME-50 Magnum control to shut it off. The charger will continue to work if the AGS calls of the generator to start.

12.2 is pretty high and may call for frequent charge cycles (genny running for twenty minutes every 2 hours, or something like that). If you can, I think you need to play with this onsite, be around it for a day or so at 12.2 and see what happens. You may end up with it down to 12.1 or 12 to keep it from cycling.

What causes it to cycle in normal operation is a combination of long draws on the batteries (like what your plan will do) taking the batteries low, and then a big load comes on (coffee pot in the morning, or microwave maybe) and takes the batteries low enough to trigger the cycle. With no big loads I'm not 100% sure how it will act, you're gonna have to experiment.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post

12.2 is pretty high and may call for frequent charge cycles (genny running for twenty minutes every 2 hours, or something like that). If you can, I think you need to play with this onsite, be around it for a day or so at 12.2 and see what happens. You may end up with it down to 12.1 or 12 to keep it from.
CS at Newmar told me 12v
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
AGS SYSTEM INFO other AGS INFO EMS
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's been a few days and finally the genset did an auto start. I was lucky that I was there when it happened - just instills more confidence in me in the system to see it myself.

When I arrived I checked the AGS status, it had 12.6vdc message, and no indication of a start. I turned up the temp to warm the coach to 50F and AGS did an autostart about 10m later. I checked the AGS status after the start and it says "Start VDC".

I'll now drop the ags volt setting from 12.2 to 12.0 (Newmar's recommendation per other post). And because of the RV setting in the tech menu, you have to re-enable the AGS if you manually operate the generator. (Really well written manual on Newgle for the Magnum Inverter remote panel.)

In the end, these rigs seem very efficient with retaining heat when it is in the high teens and twenties. Last few nights have been in the high teens low 20's. Days are about 32 degrees F. It took about two days before the genset did an autostart.

Hope this experience adds some value to OPs questions. I certainly feel better that I won't burst a pipe from freezing when I Don't have access to shore power for a few days.