Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Leave coach alone for three weeks

I need to leave the coach alone in Arizona for three weeks. No plug in available. Temps from 65-35. Anyone see a problem? If I place the Dometic thermostat to Auto, the heat pump air conditioners will make the generator start to cool, and if I leave the diesel burner on to keep the water hot, then the furnace will kick in at night if the heat pumps can't keep up. The generator will also automatically charge the batteries if they get low from circulating water and keeping the fridge cold. Sound OK?

I'd love to be able to set the cooling to 80 and the heat to 45 but don't see how that's possible. Maybe I should just set the furnace since it doesn't really get that hot ?

Maybe I should just clean out the fridge, turn it off and turn the heat/cool off too...

Thanks
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you NEED to keep it people comfortable while you are gone ????
I think there is much more danger in a freeze than getting too hot

I'm thinking your batteries will be down by the time you return
unless you have SOLAR
and/or set (and test) your AGS system to crank the genny when batteries get down to the 12 volts or so...

I would set the propane furnace to about as low as it can go - 40 or 45 and not worry about ac.... if you use heat pumps it probably will NOT warm the basement -at least on most only the furnace does that....

turn your water heater (actually anything you can) to propane (if u must have it on) and if an absorption fridge either turn it off or set it to gas...

close all blinds, vents, etc...
open cabinet doors, bath doors, etc... in case of a freeze...

and keep slides in case they cover furnace heat vents...

having the ags kick on the generator is a good theft deterent - it will scare the beejeebers out of anyone standing by it when it cranks up --- at least mine scare me if it's unexpected
Old 12-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #3

It's one thing to leave your coach plugged in while you're gone to keep the batteries charged (and you can keep them charged with your genny auto start on voltage level, right?) but to use the furnace or anything with propane is a little scary to me unless supervised.
I think I would choose your last option - doesn't seem that the temp will get to freezing and if it does, in AZ it will warm up quickly once the sun comes up (at least Phoenix and south).
My $.02
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks guys. It's all electric and yes the AGS starts at 11 volts. I thought the chance of something going wrong with running the diesel furnace unsupervised is much greater than a freeze. Even with outside temps near freezing, it's not cold inside. I have it on furnace 65 at night and it rarely runs, and the A/C set for 72 during the day and that rarely runs, so I guess I have my answer. The park owner said I can park it across from the office where it's lit all night. There are other coaches there with the same circumstances. Nice neighborhood, Small park. We're east of Mesa, south of Tucson.
Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #5

Definitely clean out the refrigerator if it's electric. You won't be plugged in, will you? Arizona's night freezes won't be a problem as it warms up in the morning to above freezing. I'd turn everything off.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Bill, inside is not the concern...
the basement and water connections are the weak links re freeze issues. I've set my ags @ 12 volts as I don't want to strain those expensive batteries if I can set it to 11 though without worry I would... Why did you set yours to 11 ?

but to other concerns - if I were so worried about my furnace failing when unsupervised - I'd certainly not let my family sleep in it !!!!

It's designed to run on it's own.... in fact mine's running by itself right now since I have it turned on at the storage facility for the hard freeze here in Texas
Old 12-08-2016, 08:37 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I would keep my TT plugged in for the batteries but what you propose is beyond my comfort level.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Bill, inside is not the concern...
the basement and water connections are the weak links re freeze issues. I've set my ags @ 12 volts as I don't want to strain those expensive batteries if I can set it to 11 though without worry I would... Why did you set yours to 11 ?

but to other concerns - if I were so worried about my furnace failing when unsupervised - I'd certainly not let my family sleep in it !!!!

It's designed to run on it's own.... in fact mine's running by itself right now since I have it turned on at the storage facility for the hard freeze here in Texas
We did a factory pickup and the tech went through the ags system. They had it set to 11 volts, so I assumed that was the correct voltage.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
We did a factory pickup and the tech went through the ags system. They had it set to 11 volts, so I assumed that was the correct voltage.
Our tech at the dealer set our AGS to 11.75v. Gave me a long explanation about it (I have it recorded on video somewhere). We have the typical wet cells with the back bottom and bright green tops. If anyone wants to hear the tech explain the setup let me know and I'll go dig up the video and post it.

Next week we have high 20's and low 30's for a few days in portland. So I'm going to go set up zone 3 to keep the bays and plumbing warm and hopefully all my water pipes from freezing. I'll set the gen to run when the batteries get low. The inverter I expect should be set to on run the Oasis unit? I think the blowers are all 12v.

I do have a single 100w solar panel, but that won't do the trick for a full charge during the day.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #10

11 volts is way too low. 11.75 is probably close to reasonable if your batteries are in good shape. You should try to keep your batteries from EVER getting below 50% state of charge (SOC), which is around 12 volts resting (nothing connected). With the coach connected it is reasonable to say that 11.75 volts is 50% SOC. I would be pretty surprised if your generator would even start at 11 volts.

That being said, I would not take a chance if I could avoid it. I would empty the fridge and shut everything off including the inverter, which typically must be shut off at the inverter itself.

How cold do you anticipate it getting?

Edit: Just saw 35degrees. Not cold enough to cause freeze damage IMO. The coach will retain some heat from the day. Ill bet the inside doesn't even get below 40.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
11 volts is way too low. 11.75 is probably close to reasonable if your batteries are in good shape. You should try to keep your batteries from EVER getting below 50% state of charge (SOC), which is around 12 volts resting (nothing connected). With the coach connected it is reasonable to say that 11.75 volts is 50% SOC. I would be pretty surprised if your generator would even start at 11 volts.
I can attest that it won't start, not at 11.7 either
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
An interesting read on the ags setting. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1481500749.201106.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	146468
Old 12-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you sure it is set for 11?
Factory delivery Newmar Tech set ours to 11.8.
Most people on this forum seem to be between 11.75 and 12.2
If Newmar Tech set it to 11.0 I would think that was an ERROR.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The dealer set mine to 11.75 when I took delivery. Since I'm running my heating via the Hydrohot and don't need 120VAC, I'm turning the inverter off. Hoping this is less drain on the wet cells. Tested today and seems to work good. Also, I raised autostart to 12.2 since the inverter is not putting a constant load on the batteries. We shall see how it works out.