Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

LED bulbs- better on/off or left on

I've read that regular light bulbs last longer if left on all the time during time light may be needed off/on rather than turn off when not needed and back on again in a short time, but it does use more electricity.

What about LED bulbs? Should they be left on all the time lighting may or may not be needed, or keep turning them off if not needed for a half hour or so then back on again when needed? Will either action help extend the life of the bulbs?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #2

I doubt it matters much. Over 4 years ago I installed blue LED's behind my TV at home. They have never been turned off and will probably stay lite for many, many years to come.

Peter
Old 09-02-2016, 09:32 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With the long life expectation of LED lights, in practical usage it should not matter.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The reason for ordinary (old fashion) light bulbs to die is the filament failure, due to shock. This can be physical shock, drop / hit/ etc. or thermal shock turn on/ off. If the on/ off cycle was fast enough there would be very little shock. But when going from a long off time the inrush of current that heats the filament is a shock. Kind of why there is a brighter flash when you turn them on and they burn out. Keeping them on reduces the thermal shock, but makes them more susceptible to physical shock.

Led on the other hand will last yrs. unless the internal junction gets stressed. Normal operation with a solid design means yrs of service. Over driving the led will degrade the life, but as a consumer it is hard to distinguish a over driven led. A transient spike on the power line to the led will take them out, but if you are using house 12 v dc then it would be difficult to get any spike due to the amount of battery storage. If you are using a remote ac to dc converter to generate the led power then transients on the AC could get through to the led and take them out.

hope this helps, bottom line no effect on led life. spend time worrying about the battery life...
Old 09-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #5

An LED dimmer works by pulsing the bulb on and off a number of times a second. The pulse width determines the brightness. If an LED can survive this it can survive being turned on and off as many times as you want. Why waste power keeping a light on that you don't need?
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #6

Thanks you'all. Appreciate that information. The reason I was asking is that about 10 of the 51 LED ceiling lights in my 2015 Dutch Star began going dim/out within 4-6 months after taking delivery. Newmar replaced those but before 11 months had passed 12 more did the same thing. This time Newmar replaced them all so I was wondering how long before I have to start replacing some of them myself. Kind of a sorry arrangement when theres no bulb to replace, just the whole unit must be changed.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:36 AM   #7

There was a bad batch and a lot of us had them all replaced under warranty. My new ones are a year old now and no problems so far.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led