RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2019, 12:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
You will have to check for fixtures that will fit. I have bought replacement bulbs from both and been satisfied. They have lots to choose from but will take a little searching
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Canuck.....I wouldn't look at this as a big issue. My 2014 DS never had a bad light. My 2019 had one bad one on the day of delivery and one went bad last month. I'm buying a couple of spares to keep with me on a trip. It's really a luck of the draw type thing.

I believe Newmar and other companies often shoot themselves in the foot. They install a good quality product, like the LED puck lights, have no issues and then decide they can get them for .25 cents cheaper from another manufacturer. They buy the cheaper ones and end up paying thousands in replacement costs. Everyone does it, they just don't learn.

I can give you a list of things Newmar has gone cheap on and has cost them more than they saved.
Don, you’re on target as usual. As we’ve now had six lights go bad, Newmar told us today they will replace all of our puck lights when we do our factory visit in July. In addition, they are sending three new lights in the interim. Good on them.

So, if they saved on cheaper lights [pennies) at least they are not whining on the replacement cost (dollars). An opportunity for good customer service perhaps?

We don’t have a Hughes autoformer, so I can’t refute that it prevents LED light outages.

LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #31

Our new lights came in today and I installed them. They are different; the lenses don’t appear to be able to screw on/off and they are lighter in about every respect. If I had to pick the “better” one from look and feel, I’d have to say it would be the old ones (that are failing). But, if they don’t fail, then the new ones will be fine.

In the picture, the new one is on the left with the part number sticker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F2FB3050-009D-4ED5-821F-D849EB2A880C.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	242731  
Old 04-19-2019, 10:59 PM   #32

We have not had any lights go out yet, 2017 Bsy Star. I was wondering how these come off the ceiling. Do you unscrew, quarter turn, or pop off? I don't want to break the first one, trying to figure out how to open it up. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris92078 View Post
We have not had any lights go out yet, 2017 Bsy Star. I was wondering how these come off the ceiling. Do you unscrew, quarter turn, or pop off? I don't want to break the first one, trying to figure out how to open it up. Thanks!
I use a spoon to gently pry the entire light housing out of the hole in the ceiling. You sort of work the spoon around the edge of the lens. This will work for both the old and new lights.

The lenses on the old lights will unscrew, but it can be a little tough to do without using a spoon to loosen the light housing a bit first. The new lights don’t appear to unscrew and I didn’t want to break one trying to figure it out.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #34

2016 Newmar Lights went out with a couple months called Newmar they sent replacements for all lights free of charge
FRTDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #35

When I started to replace the lights in our 2002 Coachmen Mirada I bought direct replacement bulbs at a nice local RV place. The owner said that he had done some serious searching to find a reliable brand and they cost more because they were worth it. Over time I replaced almost all of them and none ever went bad. We moved. I still had a couple to replace so I got some online and replaced one that was still old style. Within a week it exploded! Lots of little bits inside the fixture! Well they had been real cheap so I tossed in another. Same results! About that time another cheap one I got for the fridge began to strobe. Just for the heck of it I checked the voltage in the first light and got 15v. My fifteen year old converter seems to be out of whack.

I put the filament bulb back in. The other lights are all between 12.5 and 13v. Once I get a converter I'll try another LED. We want stuff cheap and we get cheap stuff.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieGary View Post
Our new lights came in today and I installed them. They are different; the lenses don’t appear to be able to screw on/off and they are lighter in about every respect. If I had to pick the “better” one from look and feel, I’d have to say it would be the old ones (that are failing). But, if they don’t fail, then the new ones will be fine.

In the picture, the new one is on the left with the part number sticker.
Interesting that you're new lights are exactly what came in my 2016 Tuscany

Three years and no failures yet and several are on quite a few hours
Old 04-22-2019, 07:33 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
LeslieGary

I believe you did the right thing. I got an answer from Newmar and they will also change all of them as soon as I get a warranty appointment at a Dealer on my way. They do respond, this is why I keep saying Newmar is the best brand in the market; yes, they need to improved, yet they do whatever it takes to keep learning and and providing better quality.
RCouttolenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Interesting that you're new lights are exactly what came in my 2016 Tuscany

Three years and no failures yet and several are on quite a few hours
Good to know—thanks!
Old 04-22-2019, 07:11 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCouttolenc View Post
LeslieGary

I believe you did the right thing. I got an answer from Newmar and they will also change all of them as soon as I get a warranty appointment at a Dealer on my way. They do respond, this is why I keep saying Newmar is the best brand in the market; yes, they need to improved, yet they do whatever it takes to keep learning and and providing better quality.
I agree—they made the call to replace all lights without us asking.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieGary View Post
I agree—they made the call to replace all lights without us asking.
Do you know that these are improved lights? Any indication or mention that these lights will solve the burnout problem?
Old 04-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #41

We too have had several LED lights burn out. All have been under cabinets. Newmar has agreed to replace all of the fixtures in the cabinets, but none in the ceiling. I can replace the ones in the cabinets, but they will require me to take the rig to a service center to replace the ceiling fixtures if they start to fail. I'm guessing no failures in the ceilings since we rarely use them.

There is a difference in appearance of the old and new fixtures, so if we start replacing ceiling fixtures, we need to replace them all.

Newmar has been good to replace them, but I have to pay for the replacements, then ship them back for a refund. A bit cumbersome when on the road, but, a way to ensure they get the replaced fixtures back.

Also, be careful when removing the lights - they have a pair of spring loaded clips that hurt like the devil when the snap back. Learned that the hard way on the first one I removed.

2018 Ventana 4037
2018 Jeep Cherokee
david-jce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:56 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Do you know that these are improved lights? Any indication or mention that these lights will solve the burnout problem?
I can not verify that these lights are an improved version. We replaced two lights earlier and Newmar sent the same lights as replacements. For these three lights, they sent a different model. So the assumption would be that these are better.

That said, the old ones seem sturdier and slightly heavier duty in terms of the wires and the lens. But, those items were not the problem. I suppose time will tell if the new lights solve the problem.

Tags
ceiling, led, light, lights