Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #1

LED TV Replacement Questions

I removed the old TV today and found a few things that I am not sure of their purpose. Referring to the photo below, there was a power cord, a component audio/video cable and then a white and red jack. On the back of the TV, the red and white cable that plugged into these two jacks goes inside the TV so I can't verify what it is.

Am I safe in assuming this is audio out from the TV?

On the bottom of the enclosure (second photo in middle towards front), there are two small pieces of plywood each held with two screws. It appears after examining the bottom of the TV these lock into two rectangular areas on the bottom of the TV to keep the bottom from moving since the top is screwed to the ceiling. Can anyone confirm the purpose of these two pieces of plywood and their attachment screws?

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I removed the old TV today and found a few things that I am not sure of their purpose. Referring to the photo below, there was a power cord, a component audio/video cable and then a white and red jack. On the back of the TV, the red and white cable that plugged into these two jacks goes inside the TV so I can't verify what it is.

Am I safe in assuming this is audio out from the TV?

On the bottom of the enclosure (second photo in middle towards front), there are two small pieces of plywood each held with two screws. It appears after examining the bottom of the TV these lock into two rectangular areas on the bottom of the TV to keep the bottom from moving since the top is screwed to the ceiling. Can anyone confirm the purpose of these two pieces of plywood and their attachment screws?

Yes. Red and white are typically audio. Yellow will be video. Component video will be 3 rca plugs ( red, blue and green). HDMI will be one wire. The red and white audio will be left and right channels and used with the single yellow video or the 3 component cables.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #3

Please post pics and details as you make this change. I too have a Newmar KS and will need to so the same next spring.

Dave
Old 10-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

Dave,

Although I have revised my plan about 20 times today, my current plan is to mount another piece of plywood on the bottom and then a Morryde TV40-001H-S to the plywood. The cabinet has a very nice plywood bottom to work with.

Using a 32" LED I think I have enough room on top to install a shelf and a sound plate just above the TV. Right now the LG LAP340 is high on my list since it appears to fit and is very thin.

My approach is to make it reversible just in case something goes wrong, which typically happens with my projects.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
Yes. Red and white are typically audio. Yellow will be video. Component video will be 3 rca plugs ( red, blue and green). HDMI will be one wire. The red and white audio will be left and right channels and used with the single yellow video or the 3 component cables.

What is got me confused is the component has audio in the cable bundle. The two wires in the photo are in addition to the component audio/video cable bundle.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #6

The LG lap340 looks good. Most TVs have the speakers out the back so this should give you very good sound. Can't wait to see your finished project.

Dave
Old 10-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #7

It might be a while before completed, this is going to be a winter project. I think the sound plate is a good way to fill in the vertical gap due to the smaller height of the LED TV and it should provide good sound at the same time.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have your monitor cables going down to it and the small blocks may have something to do with its mounting under the box.
In QT's 1 & 2, I have a bedroom TV change out and used a 2x4 to mount a LCD bracket to hold up the LCD. Item #4.
The RCA plugs may run to your radio system if you have a unit like this.

Its all explained in item # 1 same thread.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:57 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I had to guess the two RCA plugs (red/White) where plugged into the AUDIO-OUT jacks on the back breaker CRT unit and feed the house audio system... Mine can do that. You can test easily if you have ever used the house audio system instead of the TV speakers.

The other photo I did not see anything worthy of comment other than that looked a lot like what I saw in my tv compartment.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:09 AM   #10

I had the same red and white wires and I plugged them into the back of the LED TV & they gave me audio thru the surround sound radio speakers when I put the radio on AUX 1 and then use the radio volume control to listen to the TV. My overhead box was like yours and I installed two 1-1/2" vertical alum angles on each side of the box about 4" back inside and then installed a 1"X10" horizontal backer wood plate across attaching to the alum angle. This gave me a solid plate to bolt an articulating TV mount against. The 32" TV stays tight in place against the box when traveling w/ a 1" nylon strap I made to wrap around the entire box and TV.
I also had some wood blocks like your pic shows and I just removed them!
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If I had to guess the two RCA plugs (red/White) where plugged into the AUDIO-OUT jacks on the back breaker CRT unit and feed the house audio system... Mine can do that. You can test easily if you have ever used the house audio system instead of the TV speakers.

The other photo I did not see anything worthy of comment other than that looked a lot like what I saw in my tv compartment.
I think they are audio out as well, but they were not plugged into the back of the TV. The cable runs right through the back and the connection is somewhere internal and out of sight as seen in the photo below. There is also a large plastic part on the wire.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
That looks like a choke of some type for radio input and its wire internally to TV.
I would just use a double end RCA plug wire for your new TV and to your sound system or radio.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
That looks like a chook of some type for radio input and its wire internally to TV.
I would just use a double end RCA plug wire for your new TV and to your sound system or radio.
Sorry, not sure what is "chook" is. I think you are saying it was audio out from the TV, correct?
Old 10-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I think he means a choke.... it a device to minimize interference like AC hum.

BTW... The red and white leads should be "audio out" from the T.V., assuming that none of the RCA jacks on the T.V. are "audio out". As I think was stated, it probably was audio out to a switch box so one could play T.V. audio through the house speaker, rather than the T.V. speakers. That is the way mine was wired.

Someone obviously modified the T.V. by installing the red and white "outputs" in the T.V.

When I installed my flat panel LED T.V. it did not have RCA audio outputs so I had to use the earphone jack to feed audio to my house speakers (through the original switch box. I made up a phono jack to RCA jumper so that I could use the ear phone jack for "audio out".
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement