Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renden View Post
... Would appreciate knowing exactly what original oil to replace in Stemco ...
I'd call Spartan with your VIN and ask them for sure. 75w90 is the common Spartan spec, dino or man made is your call. They will intermix just fine. There are even some half-half blends on the store shelf. BTW - you probably are due for a change (15,000 miles seems to be the common interval).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #16

You may want to ensure that your chassis is aired up if you have independent front suspension. The IFS will have significant camber when off the ground or when the air is released. That camber can give you a false level reading since the fluid will travel to the low side. Just a quick note to consider.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_L View Post
You may want to ensure that your chassis is aired up if you have independent front suspension. The IFS will have significant camber when off the ground or when the air is released. That camber can give you a false level reading since the fluid will travel to the low side. Just a quick note to consider.
Thanks

....but my chassis is leveled presently so I do not understand any false reading
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #18

Rendon, the proper level should be measured at ride height while fully aired up and without the jacks extended. If you are level and at ride height, you are set to go. If not however, I would suggest that you park on fairly level ground, but you should be at ride height or the camber may cause a misreading. There is significant camber change on IFS. An easy way to display what I am talking about is to fill the hub, observe where the level of the fluid is registering and then let your air out. You will see that the levels will have changed. One side will show low of fluid and the other will show over filled. Camber gain on IFS will have opposite effects on each side. In other words, if filled when the jack are extended and NOT at ride height, the one side will be overfilled and and other will be underfilled. Hope that makes sense and thanks for your reply
Jim
Old 11-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Rendon, the proper level should be measured at ride height while fully aired up and without the jacks extended. If you are level and at ride height, you are set to go. If not however, I would suggest that you park on fairly level ground, but you should be at ride height or the camber may cause a misreading. There is significant camber change on IFS. An easy way to display what I am talking about is to fill the hub, observe where the level of the fluid is registering and then let your air out. You will see that the levels will have changed. One side will show low of fluid and the other will show over filled. Camber gain on IFS will have opposite effects on each side. In other words, if filled when the jack are extended and NOT at ride height, the one side will be overfilled and and other will be underfilled. Hope that makes sense and thanks for your reply
Jim
Jim
Thanks - appreciate but do not understand the last phrase......In other word, if filled (mine is on the mark as seen in photo) - so if I aired it (the MH) up what will it do, more or less fluid in chamber ???) -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2636.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	15584  
Old 11-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #20

Rendon,
the oil is going to both the inside and the outside bearing. If you fill the axle when aired up and on the ground, the oil level will show as you have pictured (properly filled). However, as the chassis lowers with the release of air, or raises with the use of the jacks, the axle angles changes (camber) and the fluid will flow to toward the lowest part which could be the inside bearing or the outside bearing depending on which direction the wheel leans. I believe that when the air is dumped, the axle angles inward (top of the tire leans toward the center of the vehicle) and as such, the fluid will flow toward the inside bearing and will indicate low fluid level. If the jacks are used and they raise the chassis higher than ride height, the axle will lean toward the outside (top of the tire leans toward the outside of the coach), the fluid will flow to the outside and the gauge will show overfilling. If you fill when at ride height, you should be okay since that is the height during travel.

I cannot coment on your picture since I cannot tell if you coach is aired up and sitting at ride height. If so, you are good to go! Hope this helps.
Jim
Old 11-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Rendon,
the oil is going to both the inside and the outside bearing. If you fill the axle when aired up and on the ground, the oil level will show as you have pictured (properly filled). However, as the chassis lowers with the release of air, or raises with the use of the jacks, the axle angles changes (camber) and the fluid will flow to toward the lowest part which could be the inside bearing or the outside bearing depending on which direction the wheel leans. I believe that when the air is dumped, the axle angles inward (top of the tire leans toward the center of the vehicle) and as such, the fluid will flow toward the inside bearing and will indicate low fluid level. If the jacks are used and they raise the chassis higher than ride height, the axle will lean toward the outside (top of the tire leans toward the outside of the coach), the fluid will flow to the outside and the gauge will show overfilling. If you fill when at ride height, you should be okay since that is the height during travel.

I cannot coment on your picture since I cannot tell if you coach is aired up and sitting at ride height. If so, you are good to go! Hope this helps.
Jim
Jim
Coach has been flushed (of air), leveled on the Jacks as I am installed on my site at the Resort - Thanks !
Old 11-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Will update when I receive answer from Spartan re: proper OIL and Newmar too..........my red plugs arrive this Wednesday so I will adjust (if needed the level, while the coach is on AIR, without its levelers (photo taken on levelers)- I do not know if this is significant (just talked to a man who0 owned a truck fleet in Labrador City and he is not impressed with this)........but I respect members' opinions -

Meanwhile, no leaks as the MH stands parked at the Resort in Ft Myers !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2636.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	15639  
Old 11-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #23
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Vavoline in a quart bottle with a squirt tip. Auto-zone. 75w-90. I have the k2 spartan with the IFS and all it has to be is close on the full line. Fire it up and let it come to ride height and then check. Squirt it in were you removed the red rubber plug. Why'd you by 5 of them? you should only need 4 if you have a tag axle. Smart to carry a spare, though. I had the relief cut in the red rubber cap stop up and after driving and heating up it blew the plug out. What a mess.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #24
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Also, after you squirt some in, let it settle for about 5 minutes to seek level.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
Also, after you squirt some in, let it settle for about 5 minutes to seek level.

Thanks to you all
Spartan and Newmar recommended the non synthetic NAPA 80W-90 gear oil and I got a bottle this morning - it is SAE 80W-85W-90 non synthetic - that should do
Old 11-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renden View Post
Thanks to you all
Spartan and Newmar recommended the non synthetic NAPA 80W-90 gear oil and I got a bottle this morning - it is SAE 80W-85W-90 non synthetic - that should do

Also received 5 spare plugs, one of which is going to replace the existing leaking plus on the left front Stemco, and will see if oil is needed once on air (now parked on levelers in Ft Myers)
Old 11-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #27

renden - when you return back home after sunny Fla., let us know what you find... My bet is leak is still there for reasons already posted...

I always love the manufacturer recommendations over time and depending on who you ask. Be it oils, grease, 303 vs talc, or which comes first leveling or slideouts. Chris Peterson and the tech team led by Russ all said full synthetic would be a smart change - though not necessary - for my hubs a couple years ago. Maybe that was specific to my high annual mileage or frequent cold running. Or maybe it was the mood de jour. I even saw the jugs of Valvoline SynPower gracing the shelf.

Regardless, GLAD you got it all together!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
renden - when you return back home after sunny Fla., let us know what you find... My bet is leak is still there for reasons already posted...

I always love the manufacturer recommendations over time and depending on who you ask. Be it oils, grease, 303 vs talc, or which comes first leveling or slideouts. Chris Peterson and the tech team led by Russ all said full synthetic would be a smart change - though not necessary - for my hubs a couple years ago. Maybe that was specific to my high annual mileage or frequent cold running. Or maybe it was the mood de jour. I even saw the jugs of Valvoline SynPower gracing the shelf.

Regardless, GLAD you got it all together!!!!!!
Thanks - will see and let you know

Tags
leak