Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2019, 10:15 PM   #1

Lets talk insurance.

Looking for some advice on Insurance companies folks are using. We are entering our 3rd year of owning our 2018 MADP and our second insurance term renewal. We have Progressive currently but they are raising our rates for the 2nd time. Now we have no tickets, are well experienced RVers and both have held commercial drivers licenses for years. But we feel $1500 increase over the first two policy periods is ridiculous, especially when we've had 0 claims. The broker that is handling our policy shopped around and got a Quote back from Foremost RV insurance. Can anyone give any first hand knowledge of Foremost or any other good companies that aren't raising rates every term. We like that Progressive has Full Replacement coverage and then reduces to Purchase price. Any assistance would be great. Thanks Brad
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2019, 11:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmf23 View Post
Looking for some advice on Insurance companies folks are using. We are entering our 3rd year of owning our 2018 MADP and our second insurance term renewal. We have Progressive currently but they are raising our rates for the 2nd time. Now we have no tickets, are well experienced RVers and both have held commercial drivers licenses for years. But we feel $1500 increase over the first two policy periods is ridiculous, especially when we've had 0 claims. The broker that is handling our policy shopped around and got a Quote back from Foremost RV insurance. Can anyone give any first hand knowledge of Foremost or any other good companies that aren't raising rates every term. We like that Progressive has Full Replacement coverage and then reduces to Purchase price. Any assistance would be great. Thanks Brad
We have Progressive and no claims, but I know they pay well, have you checked Foremost how well they pay claims?

Zzotte
Old 09-02-2019, 11:50 PM   #3

Call Jason Dobson. He works with FMCA. Overall he got us the best coverage with “agreed value “ on our DS rather than insurance company “cash value”
His # (877) 589-3599
Old 09-03-2019, 07:10 AM   #4

There are so many factors that determine each of our individual rates, it is impossible to compare.

We have had National General (through Good Sams) for several years. Two years ago we price shopped and they were still the cheapest for us. We had a $3,700 claim last year and our rates went up either $3.00 or $13.00 this year, can't recall which.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:37 AM   #5

A broker that is free to shop for you can find the best rates, Mine shopped 14 companies and found Nationwide with the best rate for ACV.

You will also find companies change there poster as to whether or not they want that line of business and there is a renewal game too, cheep the first year more later.

Good hunting.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #6

Consider The Hartford thru AARP. Best rates we found. We had Nat'l Gen, Progressive, then went to Hartford. Granted out coach is much older than yours, but rates are $746.00/year. One claim, comprehensive for over 13k two years ago. Excellent service, quick payment.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Call Jason Dobson. He works with FMCA. Overall he got us the best coverage with “agreed value “ on our DS rather than insurance company “cash value”
His # (877) 589-3599
X2 - Jason works out of San Diego and took very good care of us!
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Insurance companies will NEVER show an allegiance to you, so no need to show an allegiance to them. If they're rates go up, go shopping.

We had Progressive for about three years. In the fourth year their rates doubled and we dumped them, getting a better rate than we had before their rates went up. I see this as a pattern with Progressive and would never do business with them again, or recommend them. Maybe if they limited the stupid commercials, they could offer better rates.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #9

We use an RV insurance broker. (Hi Sage Marketing in Escondido, Ca.)
They recommended Safeco, for our needs. Very happy with their service.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #10

I posted in the Class A forums not too long ago about a bonkers $10,000/year quote Progressive gave me recently. Went through USAA to Progressive and still got that insane number.

Needless to say, they will not be getting my business. Currently, looks like I’ll be going with Overland Insurance, but I can’t say I have experience with them. They were recommended by users in the Class A forum though. Still shopping quotes...
Old 09-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzotte View Post
We have Progressive and no claims, but I know they pay well, have you checked Foremost how well they pay claims?

Zzotte

Foremost is a division of Farmers, who has a good reputations for claims service.

I have Farmers for my home, auto, and Foremost for my RV. I had a health-related, single car accident a few months ago and Farmers was top notch in handling my claim, even paying for the ambulance ride to the ER although I was not injured by the accident itself.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #12

The best advice is to get an independent broker that specializes in RV insurance like Miller Agency on Oswego, Oregon. They will shop a number of companies for you and find you the best deal wherever you are located. Why not use someone who specializes in RV insurance?
Old 09-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
The best advice is to get an independent broker that specializes in RV insurance like Miller Agency on Oswego, Oregon. They will shop a number of companies for you and find you the best deal wherever you are located. Why not use someone who specializes in RV insurance?
I tried Miller but apparently there are a handful of states they don’t underwrite RVs in. Virginia and Hawaii are two of them, don’t remember the other couple.
Mapnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #14

It seems that many companies play games with their rates. We had Foremost on our 03 Phaeton till, we bought our 3013 Bus, when their rates went out of site. We went with Allied till last spring when the renewal took a $500 increase to $2100. I checked around and Foremost wanted $3800, Progressive was in the upper $2000's, and another company was about $3000. I gave Geico a call and they quoted $970 for our 2013 Allegro Bus with the same coverages we had with Allied except I went to a $500 deductible on glass from a $0 deductible. Seven days after the insurance went into effect the windshield developed 4 cracks. Geico handled the $3200 claim quickly and efficiently. Now I have a 2013 Avalanche, a 2015 Acadia Denali and a 2013 Bus for the same premium that Allied wanted for just the motorhome. Just got the six month renewal and it is the same as before the claim. We are happy campers for now, but fully expect Geico to do the same in time.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance