RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #1

Level spring broke Jack down won't re tracked

Here's my question I read about getting a 2x4 under the jack then prying it up to stored position. To get that jack leg to go up must some one be in the unit and hold the up botton while I pry it up. I'm doing this by myself but I can get someone to hold the up botton

valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If I hit the "store" button on my HWH system, the retract valves stay open for quite some time. Lots of time to do the 2x4 prying trick. Its my right rear jack that needs a little bit of assistance.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you start by dumping the airbags with the Rams drawing up, then add air to the bags and put a 2 x 4 between the hydraulic ram in the ground mayde two 2 x 4's if you can get them in.
Now dump the air in the airbags and try and retract the hydraulic rams again.
Repeat as many times as necessary to fully retract the Rams.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Ditto what Jarwiebe said if you have hwh jacks. Our Spartan chassis has trailing arm suspension in the rear which means as the air bags lower it rolls forward appx 4". I would not recommend airing up with the jacks lowered or doing the reverse if you have a system like ours unless you want to chance side loading and possibly bending the front jacks as our rear end raises first.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do not have this problem,
but I think that Dale's solution is great!
If I ever have this problem, I will try it.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
If you have hwh jacks then you will not have to hold the store button as stated earlier. One person has ample time to do it on first store cycle.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:54 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I had a similar problem with the right front jack. I use some blocks I made up from so 2x12's under the jacks, so they don't have to travel very far. I also carry a short pry bar which I have used for assistance. I called HWH about this and was told to use lots of WD40 on the jacks before I raised them. I tried it and it works after a few attempts at raising the jacks. The one jack works very slow so the next trip to a big Rally It will be on my repair list.

Best get the spring replaced it is an simple fix, but call be a little frustrating.

TOM
2003Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:52 PM   #8

Thanks all, followed some advice gotten here on the forums replaced the spring got the jack up. I used a farm jack (handyman jack) to stretch the spring from 13 inches to about 19 inches. I think it may help not to push the leg all the back up, leave a inch or 2 and adjust shorter as needed as you slip the spring on

valland is offline   Reply With Quote