Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2018, 07:35 PM   #1

Leveling Jacks Not Working - Canyon Star

Never had this problem before but went out this weekend and tried to put down my jacks but nothing happened. Of course I had my brakes on and turn the key back to acc, pressed the power button on, then all of the lights went on then off. The power button remained on. Pressed the auto level button and nothing but a beep. Pressed the retract button then nothing but a beep. Pressed all of the other buttons, you guessed it nothing but a beep. Tried this a couple of times, with the brakes on and off, ignition switch forward and reverse all resulted in nothing. In all cases the brake light and ignition light did not go on in any of the test cases.

I called Newmar but they did not have a clue and recommended I call Equalizer. I called Equalizer and spoke to Randy. He said that the ignition and brake cut-off switch thing (my term) appears to not be working. He did not know where that was with regards to the Newmar product. But he did say to trace to wires - pink and grey. I found the wires but they go through the fire wall and disappear. So at this point its a fuse, loose wire, or switch thats bad, i am guessing.

The weird thing is that while at the campsite, late at night, I turned the jacks on and everything worked. I pressed then retract jack button and the jacks retracted a little, which I did not know were deployed. I then turned the system off figuring I would turn the system on the next morning and deploy the jacks. The next morning, no jacks. And they haven't worked since.

I've have read through the manual but it isn't very helpful in the troubleshooting section. Hoping someone here will have had a similar experience and can point me in the right direction.

Of course I am sending it in to get checked since I don't have the time or skill to figure this one out. But wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them before. Oh yeah this did not mess up my weekend I had leveling blocks whew...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2018, 09:54 PM   #2

Check for 12V at the jack motor, if not present, check all fuses, then look for a fuseable-link in the wiring. Test switch for power on the control panel.
If none of the free tests reveal the problem, then it's time to begin spending money.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:56 AM   #3

Coming back from CO a couple weeks ago I got the jacks down alarm in the middle of no where but the light was not on and my buddy following me could not see the anything down so I kept on going until I got to Laramie. I figured if I was going to need a mechanic or tools I wanted to be somewhere that had them. Checked the jacks and 1 might have been down a 1/2". I noticed I have no power at the control panel for the jacks so I just pulled the fuse for the alarm and drove another 50 miles with no movement on the jacks. Drove it the 1380 miles home and they never moved. I will start trouble shooting it this fall or next spring. Hoping it is just a fuse that went for the control panel and thankfully pulling the alarm fuse shut it off I am not sure how driving home would have went with me wearing shooting muffs to block out the alarm.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
Never had this problem before but went out this weekend and tried to put down my jacks but nothing happened. Of course I had my brakes on and turn the key back to acc, pressed the power button on, then all of the lights went on then off. The power button remained on. Pressed the auto level button and nothing but a beep. Pressed the retract button then nothing but a beep. Pressed all of the other buttons, you guessed it nothing but a beep. Tried this a couple of times, with the brakes on and off, ignition switch forward and reverse all resulted in nothing. In all cases the brake light and ignition light did not go on in any of the test cases.

I called Newmar but they did not have a clue and recommended I call Equalizer. I called Equalizer and spoke to Randy. He said that the ignition and brake cut-off switch thing (my term) appears to not be working. He did not know where that was with regards to the Newmar product. But he did say to trace to wires - pink and grey. I found the wires but they go through the fire wall and disappear. So at this point its a fuse, loose wire, or switch thats bad, i am guessing.

The weird thing is that while at the campsite, late at night, I turned the jacks on and everything worked. I pressed then retract jack button and the jacks retracted a little, which I did not know were deployed. I then turned the system off figuring I would turn the system on the next morning and deploy the jacks. The next morning, no jacks. And they haven't worked since.

I've have read through the manual but it isn't very helpful in the troubleshooting section. Hoping someone here will have had a similar experience and can point me in the right direction.

Of course I am sending it in to get checked since I don't have the time or skill to figure this one out. But wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them before. Oh yeah this did not mess up my weekend I had leveling blocks whew...
First thing is to find the location of the System - If that's a problem call Newmar they will help (usually on the front to one side or the other - passenger, my guess - find the wires that Equalizer talked about - push or pull to see if one is loose or not connected - Be Careful as it could come DOWN - so have a supplemental restraint system if needed !!!

Sounds as if it is just a bad connection on one of the wires - Re-call Equalizer and they can guide you through the process - helps to have another set of Hand and a Multimeter, with a couple alligator clips, it has happened to all of us - - -

Hope this is of some help,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:45 PM   #5

Yes the problem was solved. Its was a wire which came loose. The wire was at a junction box by the power steps -- go figure. Now to be honest I did not find it I had my RV mechanic work on it since I travel for work but it would have been nice if Newmar had shared the location of the junction box rather than having someone track a wire all over of the coach. But we are good now so party on.

Tags
canyon star, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks