RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Leveling System Questions

OK, this is my second post. I'm afraid that I'm going to get a reputation here as a dummy with my rank amateur questions. Here is a pic of what my leveling controls look like:

IMG_3933 by Bill, just Bill, on Flickr

I have attached a pdf file with the relevant section of my owner's manual for anyone interested.

The Newmar manual describes two methods of leveling, "air leveling" and "hydraulic leveling". Under the directions for the "air" leveling system it tells me to push the "air" button. The only problem is that I don't have such a button. Then the directions go on to sound just like the hydraulic system that uses the jacks. Can anyone enlighten me about what I am missing here? Except for the fact that they talk about this being an automatic system, it sounds to me like I should just use the air adjustments on the right side of the HWH panel to accomplish this.

Question #2: to the far right is another panel for a Hadley SMS leveling system. What the heck to I do with this? It isn't mentioned anywhere in my manuals. And the Hadley website doesn't provide an owner manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Newmar Essex Owners Manual Extract.pdf (587.2 KB, 251 views)

Tex Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I am not able to open your pdf it says it is corrupted, but I think you are going by old information. The 05 & 06 Essex used a HWH jack and air leveling system and you used the HWH panel for both. Since 07 the Essex uses 2 separate systems. The HWH is for coach leveling using hydraulic jacks and the Hadley system is for air leveling when the jacks could not be used. There should be documentation for both in you black cases for all the documentation for your coach. The HWH is basically the same system they have used for years. The Hadley air system is great when you can’t put jacks down or you need to raise/or lower your coach. Just remember that the engine needs to be running to use the Hadley so the compressor can run. You should have flash cards showing how each system works. If you don’t PM me and I will scan them in and send you a copy.

2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
OK, this is my second post. I'm afraid that I'm going to get a reputation here as a dummy with my rank amateur questions.
Not much chance of that as we all were beginners once.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
For me, the PDF opened correctly.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #5

You have the Hadley Air package. To air level leave the engine running. Push the "SLS" button followed by the "Set" button. You should then see the vertical and the horizonal arrows illuminate in orange. (If you do not, repeat the sequence once more.) When these are flashing orange, let it self level and when both arrows turn solid green, shut off engine, You are good to go, you are air levelled. Hope this helps.

Peter
Old 03-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks again everyone for the help. Iron Man, look for a PM from me. I just bought this unit. It was a repo and had virtually no documentation with it. I have most everything, but am missing a few items. The problem is that you don't what you don't know. So this is the first I am hearing about any "flash cards."

Lug_Nut, it looks like we have pretty much the same motorhome. I'll try your method out for sure.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
BTW... I am imagining that Newmar sends their products out with all kinds of checklists for startup, storage, etc. Anybody have these things specific to the Essex or Newmar?
Old 03-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Guy View Post
BTW... I am imagining that Newmar sends their products out with all kinds of checklists for startup, storage, etc. Anybody have these things specific to the Essex or Newmar?
Tex Guy,

Check out this link on the Newmar website. It has old manuals, coach specific information, technical service bulletins, etc. It is quite useful and is being expanded month by month.

In the coach specific area, enter your Newmar unit number followed by CS and you will see your VIN and then info about parts, etc. specific to your coach. If you don't have your unit number you can call Newmar with your VIN to get it.

logon

Congratulations on your Essex purchase. You have a great coach.

Don
Old 03-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #9

One more important tip. When you restart. or start up anytime, do not move the coach (Other than a straight line) until the suspension is aired fully up. Failure to do this may cause fender damage if the front wheels are turned. The green LED just over the "STD Ride" will be flashing green at start up. If it is not, push the "STD Ride" botton. If the light is flashing wait. It will then turn solid green for a short spell and then go out. You are then fully aired up. Then on you will see no lights on.

Peter
Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Deadeye, I've pretty well mined everything they have on the Newmar site.

But yes, we are pretty excited about this. The Essex is an upgrade for us from a 5th wheel. Actually tomorrow we are taking it to a park 10 miles from home for a couple of days of shakedown before we head for Big Bend, Tx in a week.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:48 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tex Guy:

G'morning from Tampa, FL. I've been follow your thread about leveling your Essex and recalling how we went through the same learning sequence with our 08 Essex (4502). Traded our 06 Mtn. Aire for this EX which the original owner had only used for about 4k miles before discovering health problems which prevented him from handling the EX. Some manuals and instructions were missing so it took awhile figuring things out.....still alot to figure out.

ANYWAY.....one thing I was wondering was whether you have a residential style side by side refrigerator/freezer w. an ice maker. Our ice maker malfunctioned a few nights ago and flooded the flooring underneath the unit and even down into the basement bay(s) below. What a mess!! So, .....now I'm on a new search to try and figure out how to get the thing fixed. Looks kinda major, since seemingly can't even begin to figure how to access rear of refrigerator to check tubing connections, solenoids, under unit drains (which I don't know are even there), how to assess sub floor damage, etc. etc. etc. etc. ......

Just be careful if you do have an ice maker unit and perhaps freezer door water dispenser. I don't know what "being careful" entails , but keep an eye on it just the same. Looks like this might be an expensive trip to Nappanee. Dang!!

Steve & Lynette
Old 03-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I apologize for not getting back on this sooner. I'm just recovering from my 1300 mile spring break.

Yes, I have the side by side with in door dispenser. So far, ice maker works like a champ. Our biggest problem was figuring out how to turn the darned thing on. I've had trailers for years. This is our first motor home. I'm used to having to spend $500 on repairs when I come home. Now I just hope I don't have to get used to spending $5,000 when I come home!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
One more important tip. When you restart. or start up anytime, do not move the coach (Other than a straight line) until the suspension is aired fully up. Failure to do this may cause fender damage if the front wheels are turned. The green LED just over the "STD Ride" will be flashing green at start up. If it is not, push the "STD Ride" botton. If the light is flashing wait. It will then turn solid green for a short spell and then go out. You are then fully aired up. Then on you will see no lights on.

Peter
A big thank you for this tidbit, which saved my butt this morning. For some reason my right front wouldn't air up at first. I dumped air and started over a couple of times before it elevated properly. It's one of the myriad items being worked on now at the shop...