Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #1

Light Oak Stain - 2002 MA Gas (Model 3778)

Does anyone know the color and manufacturer of the stain that Newmar used on the oak cabinetry in the 2002 Mountain Aire gas (Model 3778)? It is a lighter oak color but I haven't been able to find a direct match. I want to modify some of my cabinets and it has to match. Thanks.
cgmartin744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I would be surprised if anyone other than Newmar would know something that specific. However, Newmar should be able to tell you.

I happen to have a factory service manual for 2000 and in it they show all the paint colors, manufacturer, and the paint numbers for 2000 coaches, so I would suspect that the same information is available for stains.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it's a light oak it may not be stained. My light oak turned out to be unstained oak with a semi gloss varnish sprayed on.
Take a peice of unfinished oak and spray some varnish on it and watch the color change.
Mine was a perfect match!
Pablo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I built a new trim frame for the front TV when I replaced the CRT with LCD. I purchased clear oak 1"X3"&1'X4" and stained with Min-Wax golden oak stain (#291B). I repeated the stain process until it matched the existing then sprayed Varathene satin clear over it. While the grain of the wood differs the stain is almost perfect.
I don't know if Newmar uses different stains but did find the color will alter with repeated stain applications.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I bought new cabinets for credenza near kitchen table I used the extra leaf of table to match to cabinets and trim around corian counter, can view in Quick Tips link.
Cabinets or wood trim will change color tone as wood ages.
Labels in one of your kitchen cabinets may have stain & paint colors with MFG on label.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have always managed to get a good match by trying a few different stains and mixing until I got it right on a sample piece. Just be aware that different pieces of wood will take stain differently.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote