RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2019, 07:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Lightning storm

I on top of a mountain in Hot Springs AR., lighting struck close and my TV went off and microwave does not work. I thought the inverted needed to be reset, the green light was on, I turned it off and now it will not come on. Charger on standby. I pulled everything out and tried to reset the inverte but it will not reset. Have power at the pole. Also none of the receptacles work

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check your interior gfi outlets

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I have checked the GFI, I have two but neither will reset.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you have a surge protector, they need to be reset or was hit and you now need a new one. You may want to check wiring in your transfer switch also for loose wiring.
This link and the ones below in my signature have answers for you.
You need power to reset GFI.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I do not have a surge protector, I am afraid that the inverter is blown. Power is getting to the inverter but it stops there, the charger is not working, the batteries are dead but the panel shows that the inverter and the charge are normal and receiving power. I thought maybe a reset on the converter, I could not find a switch or reset other than the 30 amp breaker on the side of the converter. It will not reset for the same reason the GFI will not reset, no current. Thanks again for the help
Old 05-30-2019, 11:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
One more question, there is a main reset switch in the engine compartment, what does that reset. I have never turned it off or on. A little afraid to do it not knowing what it does.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you got a voltage meter to check where is and not?
You need a surge protector would have protected your internal electronics.
IF your screens are reading something you may have battery power unless you shut off your BCO switch, battery cut off.
The switch in engine compartment is another cut off for your house batteries which are reading on the displays inside coach, you say.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I got a repair man here this afternoon, he finally got it ti work a little, finally gave up and ordered a new one. He bypassed it and I hooked a battery charger to the inverter and it is working OK I guess, we have AC at least. Thanks for all the help. I called my insurance company and I think they are going to pay for the most of the damage, I am not sure but I may have to replace a TV
Old 05-30-2019, 09:09 PM   #9

Tomorrow morning, go on Progressive Industries website and purchase the best EMS surge protector they sell and order it. Seriously.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:21 PM   #10

Surge protector or not when I'm in a lighting storm, I unplug from the post. And place the power cord beneath the rv.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Well it has been more then a month since lighting struck our MH, the easy part was to replace the inverter. On the way home my air system started acting crazy, I have noticed the amber lights on the jack control continued to blink but the green light was on for the drive mode was also on. We had been driving for 50 or so miles and the air dumped by itself from the chassis, wild ride at 60 MPH. Got stopped and dumped the air. I finally got to a place to pull over and dumped the air from the tanks and recharged, everything worked good but light was still on control pad. Got ready to leave rest area and pushed in the parking brake and the video when off from the cameras. So I turned it off and turned off the cameras, started up again pushed brake off and turn video back on plus the computer started back. I thought it was out from the lighting. There was a few other things, like the bay doors would not lock or unlock from key bob. The company that is working on the problems is a certified chassis repair but have not been able to find the problem, by the way everything is still going wrong as described. I told them yesterday I may take it to Newmar, I just wonder if they can fix it. Would love to go somewhere this fall but I am beginning to think it may be a total loss, who knows
Old 07-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Anything can be fixed! It may not be cheap, but anything man has created can be fixed, given enough time, expertise and money.

That said, in one sense, you have provided a valuable service to other motorhome owners; a demonstrated need for having surge suppression in place. I'm sorry that you have had to experience the results of not having a surge suppressor, but...at least...others can learn from your unfortunate experience.

TJ
Old 07-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #13

Absolutely agree with TJ on EMS and your unfortunate scenario being just one example of why. Recent thread TJ also posted to on subject (along with many others). There are always others that still do not see the light though (as indicated in their posts). Still a free Country where opinions can be expressed.

I hope your damage does not haunt you for an extended period. Good luck.
2017 3113 NewMar BayStar, Safe-T-Plus, RoadMaster SB, SuperSteer TB, Koni FSD shocks, CHF Rear, Sumo Springs, Centramatics, EEZ TPMS, King TailGater, LED Headlight kit, EMS-PT50X, Adjustable arm-rests, MagnaShade, 2017 Cherokee TrailHawk Toad...
And Tucker -
sedaliaterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I wish I had one that night, and I took the advice from one of you guys I bought one. Not sure if I will be able to use it very soon.

Tags
light