Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #1

Likes and dislikes of a Ventana 3436 2015?

We have looked hard and long and are seriously considering a Ventana 3436. 2015 (NOT LE) We will not full time, but will take long trips to Alaska or up to the Eastern states mainly being gone 3-4 months at a time. We would deeply appreciate hearing from those that have or have not enjoyed this model.
Thanks for all the helpful comments so many people have made before on other issues that seem to help many of us. We have camped for many years first in tents and then after children in a travel trailer but now looking at our first Newmar and motorhome.

Just DW as DH isn't home yet!
hstansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #2

We don't have the Ventanna, but I can tell you we are very happy with our Newmar, both before and after the sale customer service, the quality build/drive, and all the amenities it has. We have taken 3 trips of 6 weeks or more and have been very comfortable in our travels. Good luck with your decision.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #3

Just got my first motorhome after a 2 year search. Of course its a Newmar. After driving from the east coast to the west coast and back, I found the coach awesome and the 34 foot length very manageable and perfect for 2 people.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:08 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We went from a 27' gasser to the VLDP 3436 for the couch, washer/dryer, quieter ride, the ComfortDrive, and Newmar's quality. We are very happy! The size is near-perfect for two.

We took delivery last June and have only a few minor items on our warranty list.

I do wonder if Newmar might have used the basement storage areas for infrastructure (such as the chassis fuse boxes, the def tank) a little more efficiently (but we've adapted), and it would be nice if Seelevel-type monitors were included (which we will have Newmar install in May).

Again, we are very happy. I suspect you will be too.
Linda and Keith, 2016 Newmar Ventana 3436 (Wrigley), Cummins ISB 360hp, Allison 3000, Silverleaf VMSpc, Freightliner XCR, Cummins 8kW diesel, Roadmaster All-Terrain, Roadmaster Invisibrake, Toyota 2014 Honda CRV AWD (Go Cubs)
wiiltn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:59 PM   #5
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
We are in the big brother, the 3725. We almost bought the "34" but just liked the larger model.

Will you like the Ventana? That depends on your expectations and what issues come up with your coach. We have had several issues that have caused trip changes. That being said we have really enjoyed the 15,000 miles we have put under Newbee's tires in the last 6 months.

You have a better chance of getting a trouble free coach from Newmar IMHO. Still some of us have had more issues than other so YMMV.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
3436 storage bays - adequate?

We're also looking at the 'short' Newmar Ventanas and LEs; have just been searching dealer websites but have not made the drive to see any yet. No dealers in the SF Bay area.

One concern we have is whether the storage bays will be adequate? We are coming from a 34' gas Class A and have four large storage bays (including one pass-through) and three "half" bays. From photos on the web it looks as if the 3436 essentially has three full bays (counting the passthrough as two) and either two or three "half" bays depending on whether the unit has the exterior TV option. For those who have one has this been adequate? Willtn, you express concern on this point, curious on your views.

I've not been able to find photos online of the storage bays on the 3412 or the 3427. Are they the same or any more (or less) than the 3436? We're probably going with the 3436 but this could tip us toward another unit if significantly better.

Thanks all for thoughts and insights - of course we could reduce the amount of 'stuff' we carry but that would be hard!
Old 01-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a run-down on right side and left side compartments sizes for the 2016 VTDP 3436, starting from the front:

R1: 27d x 46w w 21h
R2/L3: 94d x 39w x 21h
R3: television for us
R4: 18d x 18w x 31h
R5: exhaust and chassis batteries

L1: Chassis fuse boxes and enough room for a small spool of exterior extension cord and a battery tender
L2: LP and house batteries
L3/R2: see above
L4: Wet bay, room for small associated items like a box of disposable gloves, spray bottle of bleach water, etc., etc.
L5: DEF
L6: House 50A cable and room for portable Progressive EMS

As I alluded to in my previous post, our 2014 Winnebago Vista 27N had tons of storage, partially because it was a gasser and had a huge storage space where our diesel motor is now and there weren't compartments used for def, fuse boxes, house batteries, and the tv was in the wall, not where storage could be. But I'm making it sound worse than it is. We've adapted without much effort, we're carrying as much 'stuff' as before, and we love our coach. We considered 37' coaches, and they might have had a little more storage, but we wanted to stay short and manageable. We are very happy with our coach.

I hope this helps.
Linda and Keith, 2016 Newmar Ventana 3436 (Wrigley), Cummins ISB 360hp, Allison 3000, Silverleaf VMSpc, Freightliner XCR, Cummins 8kW diesel, Roadmaster All-Terrain, Roadmaster Invisibrake, Toyota 2014 Honda CRV AWD (Go Cubs)
wiiltn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #8
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstansel View Post
We have looked hard and long and are seriously considering a Ventana 3436. 2015
hstansel, I had a 14VT 3436. no complaints. after having the tire run-outs properly corrected, it was the smoothest riding coach I've ever had. the only noticeable concern for me, was the driver mirror. driver mirror located next to the driver window, as opposed to the front of the coach, sometimes tend to create reflection at night or at dusk which can make it difficult to see behind, thru the mirror. for me it was more of an issue mainly because I had to backup my long driveway in a wooded area, often in the dark.

You might also want to check the slide motor mounting bolts. They tend to come loose. those are listed in the Newmar TSBs. common to all models with same slide motors.

The appropriate solution for those would be to replace the original bolts with the plank shank bolts of the same size. I think they would have been 1/4" plank shank bolts, if I can remember.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiltn View Post
Here is a run-down on right side and left side compartments sizes for the 2016 VTDP 3436, starting from the front:

We are very happy with our coach.

I hope this helps.
Wiiltn - Yes, this is very helpful information and exactly the kind of detail I was seeking. That's why these boards are so helpful!

BTW walked through a Tiffin RED 33AA at a RV show today, almost identical layout to the 2017 Ventana 3412 but lots of small differences all in favor of the Newmar. So helpful to gather information and impressions.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #10

Newmar short DP

One important (for some) option is that the 34** Newmar's do not have the option for a king bed.

The Tiffin 33aa has a wider bedroom slide that will accommodate the optional King bed. It seems like the King bed is popular as I have not seen a queen bed 33AA on a dealers lot.
gen5honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:04 PM   #11

Since you stated you need a lot of storage, I suggest you check the Net Cargo Carrying (NCC) limit of any coach you look at to make sure there is enough for the weight. Total pounds is more important then cubic feet. Do you plan on towing a vehicle? If yes, make sure you have enough weight capacity for both a toad and the cargo. Particularly on an LE. Typically, the limiting factor is the model of the Allison transmission. The LE uses an Allison 2500 model while the Ventana uses a 3000 model. A 2017/2016 Tiffin Red 33AA also has a 3000 model. 2015 and prior Red 33AA have a 2500 model transmission.
FLCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen5honda View Post
One important (for some) option is that the 34** Newmar's do not have the option for a king bed.
I agree that some may prefer the King bed but we prefer to be able to make the bed in the morning!

One of the many small, but important-for-us differences we see b/t the 34** Newmars and the Tiffin RED 33AA (and any Tiffin) is the Newmars have a flat floor in the bedroom area whereas the Tiffin's have a step up (the dog house) on the bedroom floor beside the bed by the closet. That makes it more awkward to get around to make the bed and to get things out of the closet. A king-sized bed would allow even less room to maneuver. We're coming from a gasser which has a flat floor in the bedroom so no problem making the (RV queen-sized) bed.

Just shows that everyone has slightly different things that are important for them!
Old 01-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2015 Ventana LE 3636 (currently for sale as we have a DS4369 on order to go full time this summer). First trip was a 6 week excursion from NY to CA. We took a lot of equipment, but weren't even close to being full or straining weight capacity. Towed a four door Jeep JK with hardtop and had no issues. Returned from CA via I-70 through CO and while we didn't pass cars climbing some of the long mountain grades, we were passing semis. Great ride, did 600 mile days and could have driven more. Great coaches.

Tags
vent, ventana