RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2006, 06:03 AM   #1

Just dropped off DS at a Newmar Dealer in Ft. Myers. Had scheduled appointment and was told they would repair only 3 items, and would not rescedule me there for other items. It seems they are limiting warranty work to only units they sell, and I was advised to return to dealer where I purchased it for work. 11 hr. ride for warranty work- I don't think so. Hope this is isolated dealer and not going to catch on across country. We full-time and are rarely near where we purchased. Anyone else running into this problem?

2006 National Seabreeze
FloridaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2006, 06:03 AM   #2

Just dropped off DS at a Newmar Dealer in Ft. Myers. Had scheduled appointment and was told they would repair only 3 items, and would not rescedule me there for other items. It seems they are limiting warranty work to only units they sell, and I was advised to return to dealer where I purchased it for work. 11 hr. ride for warranty work- I don't think so. Hope this is isolated dealer and not going to catch on across country. We full-time and are rarely near where we purchased. Anyone else running into this problem?

2006 National Seabreeze
FloridaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Call Newmar and let them know how the dealer is treating customers.

I had a similar experience from Ford and Winnebago. One phone call to Winnebago and Ford managed to find the time to fix the problems.

Ken
Old 04-03-2006, 06:39 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would do the same thing call Newmar to info them. Most dealings I have had with Dealers has been good but I would not leave coach with them would make return visit if need be. Left with Dealer once and MH was broken into so they said. Travel as you do it is hard and Dealers should be accomodating because of it. I have had work done at other Dealer locally and not the one where purchased without problems they get paid by Newmar where ever you are. "007"

How would you like to become a member of the Newmar Owners Forum its for free and I can input it for you, what say.

Oh yes welcome to irv2
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:59 AM   #5

Originally posted by FloridaAnn:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It seems they are limiting warranty work to only units they sell, and I was advised to return to dealer where I purchased it for work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You didn't name names, but I believe in calling a spade a spade. As far as I know, North Trail is the only Newmar dealer in Ft. Meyers, and I am really sorry to read how you were treated there. Because, based on the impression I formed at their display at the Tampa SuperSow in January, THEY were on my short list of dealers I would consider when ordering my 2007 coach. IF your experience is truely represenative of their service work policy, then I will eliminate them from consideration.

As the other members have suggested, call Newmar and complain. Dealers certainly have the right to give "their" customers preferential treatment, but they should NOT have the right to refuse or limit warranty work. IF your list of items to be repaired was NOT warranty, then it is their right to make a business decision to limit service work, but at today's shop rates, I can't imagine turning away business. I know they have become one of Newmar's highest volumne dealers, and they sell a LOT of higher end coaches (even SOBs), so they may have more business than they can handle. THAT would be another reason for me to shop elsewhere. All we owners can do is vote with our feet, and buy somewhere else. Please correct me if I have mis-understood anything you posted.

And, please allow me to say WELCOME to iRV2.com ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #6

I have a 5th wheel under warranty. I brought the broken part to their parts department. They REFUSED to replace the part. The said that Newmar REQUIRED the dealer to inspect the part on the coach. They were booked until May 1. That was their polite way to tell me that they could not be of assistance.

I would remove them off my list for ANYTHING!
jojolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:17 AM   #7

Ann&Tom, I haven't heard of this type of warranty service as to limiting the amount of items to be serviced as well not coming back at a later date for additional warranty service, my suggestion is to call Newmar direct 1-800-731-8300 and ask for there assistance in regard to this matter. Ed.S
Old 04-04-2006, 07:28 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We had a dealer in southern Ontario Canada that would not do any warranty work unless coach was purchased there. We found it extremly difficult to get any warranty work done anywhere during our 8 month trip last year accorss the US and Canada. Most dealers would say they were booked up solid. I did find one, but the extent of my repairs was to leave the coach hidden for 6 hours then they explained nothing could be repaired today and could we bring it back in a month. Calling Newmar got no results and they would suggest we make the appointment with a dealer ourselves to avoid problems. Finally got a few items corrected at a Camping World and the rest waited till we got home. It was a shame we were unable to enjoy our coach to its full extent during our trip. Having said all this, I will purchase another Newmar when its time to upgrade.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:35 AM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
It's not just a Newmar thing, I had he same problem with Fleetwood. They could not get the local dealer to help me get a replacement mattress, but they did get my issues resolved by drop shipping one to me.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:39 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
That really is a shame. Prior to our current 5th wheel, we owned 3 Jaycos. At one point I was having problems getting a 5th wheel into a dealer and called Jayco customer service. Within an hour they had located a non-Jayco dealer who could get us in immediately - with Jayco picking up the tab. If I had to replace a part in warranty, I would take the failed one to the dealer's parts department, sign a Jayco warranty slip and walk out with the new part.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:14 AM   #11

RUSTY: I'm not trying to be flippant here, but since you received obviously great service from Jayco, why did you switch brands?? As I posted above, I think all we can do is "Vote with our feet" in an effort to make these dealers and OEMs understand that good service = repeat customers. ED
Old 04-04-2006, 08:21 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
We actually looked at the upmarket Jayco "Legacy" line when we were shopping for our current 5th wheel. Its content and material/build quality were, unfortunately, not in the same class as the Mobile Suites we ultimately purchased.

Ed, I guess my point is that the amount any of us spend unfortunately doesn't automatically guarantee the degree of customer service we received from a manufacturer whose products are perhaps lower on the food chain. If Jayco can get it right (not to say that they're the only one who does), though, why can't others?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:30 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Guys and Gals, I live 8 minutes from North Trail,
they advertise they are the largest Newmar dealer.

Yes they have a ton of rvs, but their shop can only hold about 6 units...read they are a selling
dealership...

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but their shop can only hold about 6 units </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for adding this insight! In fairness to NT RV, the original post did NOT say they refused to honor warranty work. Her complaint was that NT would only fix 3 items and no more (unless they sold the coach). Perhaps the poster wanted a lot of non-critical items repaired, and because the dealership's service capacity is too small, they have placed a limit on how much work they are willing to do.

Have you heard anything about NT planning to expand their service capacity to accomodate the hugh volumne they are selling??

I know they are large enough to qualify as one of the dealers allowed to sell the "new" LADP, and heard that Newmar was only going to have 1-3 dealers doing that. If I were FloridaAnn, I would not hold my breath waiting on Newmar to force NT to satisfy all her requests. ED