Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2015, 09:35 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Load Test AGM Batteries

When my coach was new...almost 2 yrs ago, My Discover AGM batteries lasted almost 20 hrs under a test I performed. Today they are lucky to go 6 hrs, then suddenly voltage drops 0.8-1.0 V in less than 5 minutes ( from 12.1 to 11.3-11.1) and an inverter fault warning comes on. The factory guys said nothing was wrong when they looked at them last summer. But I continue to be plagued with poor performance. I suspect I have one or more bad cells, but don't trust Just anyone to test them again, unfortunately.

My thoughts are I need to do a load test on each battery myself... So, has any one done a test on agm batts with a load test meter and what brand/ model do I need? Specifically, I can't find information on current load rates needed for agm batteries, along with other considerations.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 05:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If your batteries are 12volt you could try using one at a time.

Have you checked the charging side of things?

Good luck and sorry I couldn't answer your original question.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:13 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi slabman,
I have had 2 sets of AGM batteries. The first was Discover (like you have). The second and current set is Lifeline. The Discover batteries were a disappointment. They lasted about 3 years.

To begin with put the coach in store mode and disconnect from shore power.

I have had a load test meter for many years. There is no difference with AGM vs. any other battery type when doing a load test. My process is:
1. Batteries must be at full charge.
2. Disconnect the battery you are testing from all other batteries.
3. Take a voltage reading to ensure the battery being tested is at full charge.
4. My load tester is rated at 130 AMPS. Consider this rating if you will be purchasing a tester.
5. Follow the instructions that came with the tester. Basically, connect the tester leads to the battery. Activate the tester for 10-15 seconds. While activated watch the tester's meter. You will know the capability of the battery.
6. Reconnect the battery to the battery bank.

I disconnect only one battery at a time. It makes my life much easier when reconnecting.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:13 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Can Discover AGM Batteries be equalized?

Here is a link discussing using a low load over an extended period of time till voltage drops to 10.5 volts. Marine batteries
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:14 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, Gary. I knew you'd have some good thoughts. I see a lot of 100 amp testers on Amazon, but you're saying I Really need to pull a few more amps out of them to get a good test?

Newmar replaced both Silverleafs last summer, so last night I found they had set the house batteries at "lead acid". Oops! Another error in re- installing these brains/screens. So I re-set to AGM2, hoping I might be able to salvage something here. I gave 'em a 1.5 hr. Charge with the bank settling at around 12.7v at midnight and went to bed. At 2:00 the reading was 11.5v with only the refer pulling power from them. Gave 'em a second charge with the new setting, lasting 'till3:45, then turned the gennie off. At 7:30 this AM I still had 12.3v....I was getting excited. But, alas, soon as one TV went on, it dropped to 11.4v over the next 5 minutes, skipping over the auto gen start again. ( I know with my last coach, a quick voltage descent would simply bypass the auto gen start and then no battery charging occurs.). So here I am, starting out for the day, where I will get another slow charge in them from the alternator...when I get to JAX they will be good for about 6 hrs...another faster generator charge will only result in a few hrs. Of charge before dropping under 12v again.

Soooo....wouldn't it seem like I have a dead cell or more? Whaddaya think?
Old 12-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Are your truly getting a full charge cycle when running the generator? I have all Lifeline batteries (8) coach and (2) chassis and I have mine set to run for 3 hours to charge them all on setting AGM 2. Lifeline does say that you can equalize charge them, which you may need to do to get them all back up after running so low. Hope this helps, Randy
Old 12-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
What Lifeline model batteries are people using in a house application? I thought I looked at them but couldn't find an appropriate model. Gee...the engineer in me still thinks I could find an 8d or something and convert the whole bank over to something that would perform better.

Alas...it seems batteries are just another of multiple components being fed to consumers in the interests of cost cutting. A way of life, it seems.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman52 View Post
Can Discover AGM Batteries be equalized?

Here is a link discussing using a low load over an extended period of time till voltage drops to 10.5 volts. Marine batteries
No AGM battery should be equalized. Equalizing is to equalize battery acid when it is in liquid form.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #9

I never disconnect batteries when load testing. The only load you are seeing is between the positive and negative terminal of the battery that you are testing and should not be affected by the other batteries.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
No AGM battery should be equalized. Equalizing is to equalize battery acid when it is in liquid form.
Lifeline is what I have and they say it is okay to equalize them.

Quote: 5.5 Conditioning
Conditioning should only be done when the battery is showing symptoms of capacity loss due to
extended time in a partial or low state of charge condition. This could be caused, for example,
by low charging voltage for an extended number of charge cycles, or by repeatedly charging to
only 90% state of charge.
NOTE: Some chargers use the term Equalizing Charge instead of Conditioning Charge. An
Equalizing Charge is generally applied to flooded lead acid batteries that are susceptible to acid
stratification. However, an Equalizing Charge may be used to provide a Conditioning Charge for
Lifeline® batteries as described below
To apply a conditioning charge, first go through the normal charge cycle to bring the battery to
full charge. The conditioning charge should then be applied by charging for 8 hours. At 7rF
(25°C), the conditioning voltage should be set at 2.58 VPC (15.5 volts for a 12 volt battery). The
conditioning voltage at other temperatures is shown in Table 5-2. By using the temperature compensated
conditioning voltage, batteries that are not in controlled temperature environments
may be conditioned without bringing them to room temperature. If temperature compensation is
not available, it is best to bring the battery as close to room temperature as possible before
applying the conditioning charge.

Not trying to start a battery war, just trying to help educate.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You need new batteries.....

and if it's cold where you are your batteries should likely be seeing around 15VDC or so at times.

So if the batteries only lasted a couple of years I would also look at the charging side of things.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:06 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DAJO,
If the batteries are in parallel connection you are correct. If the batteries are in series connection each battery needs to be isolated before testing. This thread is discussing coach batteries. Knowing the ESSEX, my assumption is we are talking about 6 VDC batteries connected in series.

Consider going to http://www.doityourselfrv.com/perfor...use-batteries/ Focus on step #4.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:14 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi slabman,
Most likely, you are correct that new batteries will solve the problem. However, load testing them provides information that may or may not confirm your need for new batteries. For me, I want all the information I can get. Load testers are <$100. I'm sure you can get by with a 100 AMP tester. A tester with a larger rating makes the test more difficult for the battery to pass.

When I receive new batteries, I ensure they are fully charged and do a load test before I accept each battery.

You're looking at quite and expense. 8 batteries X $350 per battery (Lifeline).
Old 12-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
What Lifeline model batteries are people using in a house application? I thought I looked at them but couldn't find an appropriate model. Gee...the engineer in me still thinks I could find an 8d or something and convert the whole bank over to something that would perform better.

Alas...it seems batteries are just another of multiple components being fed to consumers in the interests of cost cutting. A way of life, it seems.
Slabman I believe the ones I'm using are model #GPL 4CT, I would have liked to use #GPL 6CT but couldn't take the added height. The person at Lifeline that I talked to when I purchased mine said that in most high end coaches they had good charger\inverters made to charge these batteries, and that if I never let them go dead I should receive at least 8 to 9 years out of them and probably more. Helps justify the cost of em at least.

Tags
batteries, test