Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2017, 07:01 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Location of fuse for '06 Essex Eplex front touch-screen control panel

Today while on a trip the Eplex front control panel died. I opened the panel and verified that there is no 12V power to the control panel. Newmar said they would send a diagram for the location but something went awry with the email and it never showed up. I've looked all over 007's Quik Tips as well as Commet with no luck.
Can anyone point me to where the fuse for the Eplex panel is located? Based on what Newmar was able to tell me it should be in the Power cord bay and should be a 7.5 amp fuse but they all looked OK to me. So before I pull all of them out and check with an ohmeter one by one I hoped somebody here could verify which fuse is the one.
Archer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 07:18 PM   #2

If I am not mistaken mine is located in the power cord compartment. It is a inline fuse.
Lifetime nkk #11902
charlie hamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks

But which fuse is it? And by inline fuse do you mean an automotive style 'blade' fuse?
Old 05-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #4

It is a blade type. My was behind the black panel that is velcroed up. The wire should have sticker on it that says eplex.
Lifetime nkk #11902
charlie hamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, power cord bay, pull black plastic panel off (held on with Velcro) in the back. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0115.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	162389

Behind that plastic panel is a nightmare of wiring! On the left side there is a 12VDC fuse panel. At the very left side of that fuse panel is a fuse labeled "SOFA". Pulling that fuse will remove power to your e-Plex controller in the overhead above the drivers seat.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0116.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	162396
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	162398

The other option is to just unscrew the e-Plex screen and unplug the +12VDC connection on the back of the screen.

Why are you doing this? What symptoms/indications are you seeing?
Vettesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, I see you have no power at the monitor. The "SOFA" fuse has a blade connector below it with a wire attached. That wire has a inline fuse holder in it. That fuse is the one that protects the e-Plex monitor/controller...7.5 amp I think and is the one that usually pops.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are going to be sniffing around in your e-Plex system you will find the following very helpful!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EPLEX NEWMAR TRAINING BOARD.pdf (2.64 MB, 172 views)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Smile Problem resolved and a Tip for other Essex owners

Hey 'sniper thanks for replying. Here is what happened. Main front Eplex screen went completely dead. Verified no voltage at the panel with voltmeter by unscrewing the whole over the drivers chair panel and checking between the 2nd and 4th connectors (red and white wires). Thanks to you I located the 7.5A fuse which was blown. Replaced it and the new one blew immediately. So the underlying culprit turned out to be an Avrel-Lindberg 12V to 24V voltage converter bolted to the back of the compartment which was shorted on the 12V side.
Apparently, early on Newmar decided that the Eplex system required a 24V supply, hence the voltage doubler. They eventually figured out that in fact 12V worked just fine so sometime around 2007 they eliminated the voltage converter.
Here's the bottom line. You can eliminate the possibility of having a problem due to the voltage converter by just bypassing it. It is NOT needed. Just tie the orange wire and red wire that are attached to the left side of the converter together and then also tie the brown wire to the black wire, replace all blown fuses (there will be the 7.5A in the fuse block plus a couple of in-line fuses, I think a 15A and 20A which are not needed but it's easier to leave them in line. Makes the wiring changes easier) and you will be good to go.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is good news! I wondered about that voltage doubler, I swear when I measured the input voltage at my e-Plex controller it has always been whatever my battery voltage was...Hmmm.

BTW: If the e-Plex screen up front ever reads "SHORT CIRCUIT DETECTED" go to the wet bay and disconnect all the tank sensor connections (fresh/black/gray). They're hidden behind the white plastic wet bay board. I've had two go bad and it took out the controller screen both times...at a cost of over $2,000.00 each time! That is just the cost for a new screen, the tank sensors are over $1,000 each! I have since abandoned the e-Plex tank sensors completely and transitioned to Seelevel tank sensors.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I set this thread up for NEWMAR ESSEX OWNER's and I will now add this thread into it.
If you all link to Essex thread for future use.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Newmar turned me on to a source for replacements for Eplex. Company called Nautitech in Ft. Lauderdale. I spoke with a really nice guy named Laurent who said he would sell a replacement front screen for about $800.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This link has a 53 page document with some useful e-Plex information. Towards the end there are some useful schematics.

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...2013EPHAND.pdf

-ron
Old 05-20-2017, 07:14 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3608031]Iset this thread up for [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newmar-essex-old-to-new-plus-info-for-king-aires-334394.html#post3540008
NEWMAR ESSEX OWNER's[/URL][/B] and I will now add this thread into it.
If you all link to Essex thread for future use.

Thanks 007!
Old 05-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the links Ron.
If you have others in future or anyone else add them to the ESSEX OWNER's Thread and I will add in the master first post thread for you owners.
Thanks for the help.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, fuse, panel, scr