Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Locked In!

I've read other subject lines about being locked in the coach and not being able to get out. NEVER did I think it would happen to me but it has. Fortunately, Gary was outside and could open it with the key. It's the bottom lock.

It doesn't do it everytime but will lock when the door is shut and raising the lever will not unlock it. It has to be unlocked with the key! I'm afraid to shut the door tonight.

Is there something we can do to make sure it doesn't lock? I'd rather not have to crawl out the window!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2015, 05:27 PM   #2

Is the handle/lock mechanism loose in the door at all ?
Some times if the mechanism's mount screws are even a little loose the handle operation can cause a shift and bind the system up.

IF you ever have to use the escape window to exit your RV , be aware that if it's like mine; that hinges at the top; when the window is swung open fully , it drops out of the hinge.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:33 PM   #3

It does not seem to be loose. It is a "keyless" entry but it isn't locking. It clicks, makes the beep but doesn't actually lock. This started recently. It won't unlock with the keyfob either.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:38 PM   #4

The door lock solenoid could be seized and binding things up inside the door.
Maybe an idea to see about removing; or disconnecting; the solenoid until you can get a replacement.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #5

If we knew where and how, that might be an option! It's dark here now so we will wait till morning to try to fix it. If we can get out.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
If we can get out.

Do you know your neighbor , and trust them with a key?
Old 10-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Been there, done that a couple times the past year......and yes we did have to use the bedroom exit window. I will make a long story short.....the root cause of our problem was not the door latch assembly...the post "floats" up and down slightly and the other thing jams up. It can take a big man with a big shoulder on the inside to get it open. The post has washers and slides that seem impossible to adjust securely. And the rough roads, and or someone slamming the door will cause the post to move. IMHO...the door latch is top notch.....the post assembly is a terrible design.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I know there's a joke about that.

Did you hear about the dumb <insert ethnicity here> who locked himself out of his car?

It took him 2 hours to get his family out!
Old 10-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #9

Remove the keyless entry. Sometimes convenient devises are just too complicated and will fail early. Even the keyed locks need special mods and usage instructions.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Do you know your neighbor , and trust them with a key?
Don't know our neighbors and they've been gone all day every day that we've been here. I have to say the dog they leave behind tied outside is an angel. Never a peep out of her/him but that's beside the point!

Something else that has happened occasionally is that the lower lock has locked on it's own while we've been driving. We've always been able to unlock though. We assumed it had something to do with the ignition key being on. It locked on it's own this evening too but the key wasn't on and it didn't unlock! It's a bit disconcerting to realize you're locked in.

I've got the door tied closed for the night & hopefully, we can figure something out tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #11
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Karen:

When it sticks, try pulling the door inward...strongly...while operating the handle and see if that releases it. On our 2014 Ventana LE 3436, the door must be firmly closed for the locks to work smoothly. If not, the door will push slightly outward, binding up the locks. I make sure to close mine quite firmly and test if with the upper deadbolt lock before locking the bottom one. If the deadbolt will close smoothly, I have no difficulty with the other latch.

I'm sure there must be an adjustment for the door and I will be exploring that possibility when we get home next week.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #12

How does the lock assembly come apart??? I assume it has screws on the inside. Just use a screwdriver to take it apart on the inside if it locks you in. Màybe you will get lucky and find the problem with it by taking it apart. Just guessing!!
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #13

Didn't think about pulling the door in and will try that if it happens again. What we can't figure out is why it is locking in the first place. We never use that lock. When we lock it from the inside it's always with the deadbolt and it's usually with the deadbolt if we lock it from the outside.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicknBambi View Post
How does the lock assembly come apart??? I assume it has screws on the inside. Just use a screwdriver to take it apart on the inside if it locks you in. Màybe you will get lucky and find the problem with it by taking it apart. Just guessing!!
Yes, it has screws on the inside. We just hate to get into something like that where we are right now. We're leaving on Sunday for the S&B and will try to figure something out tomorrow so we're not locked in when we stop for fuel!