Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Rick...a HW version should fit. I'm pretty certain your power bay and mine are nearly if not identical in size with the same power cord tub.

I like the HW version for a few reasons.

1. Optional second read out. I have one in the power bay during set up ana a second one in the coach near all my other readouts. I can monitor power usage and see if there are some issues developing with power quality any time of the day. As an example, I have been able to see how some parks voltage drops quite a bit during the day as air conditioning units come on line.

2. No issue with water intrusion into any part of the system. In 2 cases I had a CG forbid the use of anything (external UPS or dog bone adaptors) because they extra plug was not protected from weather. YES...I know highly rare.

3. Internal "guts" of HW versions very easy to replace. The system does have a pass through capability in case portions of it fail. I don't know if the portable versions can be user fixed with parts.

4. Can be configured to be after the ATS to also protect against generator errors. They are rare but do happen.
I was drawing a blank thinking HW was a manufacturer and then it dawned on me = hardwired
I would love to install a HW version. Post up a pic or two of your install please. I have seen pics where there isn't a tub (my buddy Mike has one installed) but not with a tub in a similar size bay.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2016, 12:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
The question of 'built-in' or 'outside' surge protector is always a tough decision. I have an 'outside' one for the following reasons:

Now that it's several years old and hasn't been stolen .... yet. If someone rips it off, they are getting a protector that is at least 6 years old and well used. I'll get a new one with better engineering and features.

The big decision maker for me was seeing an SP at Camping World, that was literally blown apart and melted like chocolate on hot asphalt. It absorbed a lightning strike protecting the owner's RV***. I don't know about ya'll, but a surge protector works as a giant 'fuse' should there be a problem. When she blows, I want it many feet away from my RV. I DO NOT want it inside the dang thing where there's would likely be a 'cascade of events' leading to the loss of the RV. Hopefully, everyone (including our pups) would not be inside or could get out in time to watch it 'smolder' to the ground.

** Yes, we could have a discussion about the effects of induced current in RV wires as a result of a close in strike. Or, the effects of electro-magnetic pulse causing problems in the electrical systems, computers, electronics, etc.. Could happen. Might not have any effect. And, it's easier to replace a 'board, computer, electronic device then having your RV burn out
Valid points although lightning is so fast that it usually gets through the suppressor before the suppressor can react. Especially a close strike.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I've been concerned about this approach. Would have liked to have had a portable connected this way (in fact I'd like to get a Hughes auto former with surge suppressor built in, but I've been worried about arcing over time at the new 50 amp plug connection inside the coach bay. Perhaps this is undue caution, but I'd like to hear from any electricians on the forum about this approach.
How often do you/they check the Dryer and Range plug and receptacles in a house? Most are plug and forget!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #18

Here's the photo you requested
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161224_151454584.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	147380  
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
For the reasons outlined, Newmar denied the special request.
I suspect it was a decision made by Newmar's lawyers, not their electrical engineers. In this highly litigious country Newmar doesn't want to take the risk for another company's product.

I looked at Amazon's 549 reviews on this product -- 98% gave it 4-5 stars. When a unit did fail it did NOT allow electricity thru to the coach. In other words it failed in such a way that it still protected the RV. One thing I noticed were several comments about rain damage to the portable units --- one admitted to the unit sitting upside down at the pedestal. I can't quite imagine how ... if you still want a portable I'd suggest you splice it in a storage bay.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Did you remove a cover for that picture or is that the final installation ?

Looks awfull dangerous to me, with all the exposed wiring.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:51 PM   #21

Earsed due to duplication
Old 12-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #22

It seems to me that Old Crow and others are over thinking this quite a bit. We can all become paranoid about something on our coach but not necessarily act upon it. Thousands upon thousands of surge protectors are used inside coaches with one or two causing problems. Personally I've seen several outdoor surge protectors bite the dust due to rain. No matter how you try to protect it, water will find a way into the SP. How many of you have propane tanks mounted to your coach or a 5 gallon bottle you're carrying? Those are dangerous also but you still do it so taking the chance that lightning won't strike you is way less of a chance than being involved in a collision and having something adverse happen with the propane.
In other words, it all comes down to preference and it's impossible to pre-plan for everything adverse that could happen. Personally I don't want to screw around with an outdoor SP so I have a permanent mounted unit. For me, it's less hassle, not worries about theft and so far, it works great.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #23

I removed the black tape covering the wires. The only problem with this unit is the lug holes are very small and difficult to get the wires into. I removed the black tape so the wires could be seen thus showing how it was installed.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I believe my hard wired unit came with a plastic piece that snapped over the wire connectors.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:14 PM   #25

After seeing the picture, I googled the instruction sheet.

It seems that the wires should only be stripped 1/2 inch, so the outer jacket slips a little into the connector.

It looks like it's flat mounted. The graphic for mounting the unit show " NO " for flat mounting. Maybe to prevent things from laying on it.

Try to keep the exposed wire ends covered. A dropped tool will create some big sparks.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Thanks for posting that.
Nice clean install - looks like something I might be able to do. Do you end up piling everything and it's brother on top of it in the bay? (I think I could be a little neater than in my original pic - I'm still trying to get this coach functional so I just stuffed things wherever for the time being - no planning yet)
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #27

The only things in that bay are what you see.. The hose reel, the transfer switch, the surge protector and the box for the park TV cable (which I never use)
Oh, also a 50 amp to 30 amp plug in case a RV park only has 30 amp service.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Rick...a HW version should fit. I'm pretty certain your power bay and mine are nearly if not identical in size with the same power cord tub.

I like the HW version for a few reasons.

1. Optional second read out. I have one in the power bay during set up and a second one in the coach near all my other readouts. I can monitor power usage and see if there are some issues developing with power quality any time of the day. As an example, I have been able to see how some parks voltage drops quite a bit during the day as air conditioning units come on line.
How hard was it to route the wiring - is it a telephone cord?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.