RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #1

Looking at a few AllStar 3950's

Hello, I am looking at buying one of a few of the 3950's that are currently for sale and would love to hear what any current or past owners have to say about these units.

For reference we are a family of 5 with 3 kids ages 10/8/5 and use our RV about 90 days a year. We have had 3 class A's over the last 10 years, two gas and a diesel . Our current rig is a fleetwood bunk model.

I would love to hear what the common issues are as well as anything that is just annoying that you just don't find till you have been living in it for a few weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Bryantclan to the Newmar forum & irv2.
Question what year and model,KS,DS,MA are the coach's your looking at.
Can give you a brochure & Owners Guide with options, tank sizes and other information.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Welcome Bryantclan to the Newmar forum & irv2.
Question what year and model,KS,DS,MA are the coach's your looking at.
Can give you a brochure & Owners Guide with options, tank sizes and other information.
Sorry I am new to the Newmar product line and thought the model number would be sufficient. I am looking at a few 2007 Newmar All Star 3950's the rear double decker version.

Thanks again for any help from the community.

Thanks
Shaun
Old 10-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Shaun good choice for family, most owners of AllStars are happy wish Newmar was still building them.
Here is the brochure for that year and here is the Owners Guide for that year.
This is a search for AllStar information in search engine top of this forum.
There were others looking for info on same model you are, if search times out just reenter AllStar in search engine.
Here are some motor home PDI LISTS.
Here are some recalls on 2007 on mid- engine AllStar, these should have been done by now but at least you will know what they are if not, recalls do not cost you money just getting to dealer or NEWMAR & SPARTAN.
Good luck in your hunt and I'm sure other AllStar owners will chime in this thread.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Nathan Focht (and / or his wife) used to have one and posted quite frequently on this forum and in their blog (http://blog.focht.net). You could try to send him a pm or contacting through his website.

Their old one is actually for sale at a dealer in the South East I think (2007 with an extra bunk maybe at Terry Labonte RV or something like that (I remember seeing it before))
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
The 3950 is a cool floor plan. I thought that was the coach for us until I saw the storage space in the basement. Tiffin has a bunk model for this year in the Phaeton line, but that's a higher price point than the used Newmar. Someone should hire a 5th wheel architect for their class A's. If I didn't already have a job I would go after this market segment of a coach builder that would listen to me. Sleep 5, two sinks, and a separate shower stall from the toilet. And with not too much effort a wrap around booth that seats 5.
FineProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:46 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
As a follow-up to the previous post, if you are looking for a mh with bunks, pretty much every manufacturer makes at least one (many manufacturers have a gas and a diesel available) and has been making them for a few years. If you are looking for something where the kids get an actual room as opposed to a bunkbed in the hallway, the choices are much more limited; Fleetwood has the Discovery 42A (IMO, the best 'familly class A' available right now), there's the Newmar AllStar 3950/3951/4159, a few years ago Newmar had a Ventana (diesel) with a 2nd room, as did National RV (Surfside 34B I think) and one model of Forest River Georgetown (both gas models). There are also a few models where the bunk is in the hallway but it also has a walkthrough bathroom and you can close off the bunk area and it kind of makes a bedroom.

FineProperty does have a valid point that the 3950 really didn't have much storage compared to typical class As so that's something to consider.

I also have to agree with him that it's kind of surprising that manufacturers haven't done more and / or something better with class As. There does seem to be a pretty good market for bunkhouses and class As seem to be so far behind trailers (both 5ers and bumper pulls) in terms of options for families. I'm actually quite surprised the 3950 / Damon Outlaw 'loft' idea hasn't been more popular. I'd really like to see a combination of both designs in use; move the ACs forward and raise the rear roof like the Outlaw and drop the floor into the basement like the 3950 (not sure if it would all work together but I think it's possible for a longer gasser (where they often have long rear overhangs) and maybe even for a DP).
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #8

We currently have a Fleetwood 35DS which is their gas bunk model and have been looking for something that I can setup 3 dedicated "kids" sleeping areas. We even considered rebuilding the two bunks in to 3 but decided there really is not enough room. The kids tend to go to bed about an hour before we do so it is impractical to use the convertible sleeping areas. Right now the boys share the bottom bunk and our little girl takes the top bunk which will work for maybe another year before the boys will be physically too large to sleep on what is basically a twin bed. The 3950 with the modification that Nathan made seems to be the best option around for a family our size (3 kids 12/8/5).

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
As a follow-up to the previous post, if you are looking for a mh with bunks, pretty much every manufacturer makes at least one (many manufacturers have a gas and a diesel available) and has been making them for a few years. If you are looking for something where the kids get an actual room as opposed to a bunkbed in the hallway, the choices are much more limited; Fleetwood has the Discovery 42A (IMO, the best 'familly class A' available right now), there's the Newmar AllStar 3950/3951/4159, a few years ago Newmar had a Ventana (diesel) with a 2nd room, as did National RV (Surfside 34B I think) and one model of Forest River Georgetown (both gas models). There are also a few models where the bunk is in the hallway but it also has a walkthrough bathroom and you can close off the bunk area and it kind of makes a bedroom.

FineProperty does have a valid point that the 3950 really didn't have much storage compared to typical class As so that's something to consider.

I also have to agree with him that it's kind of surprising that manufacturers haven't done more and / or something better with class As. There does seem to be a pretty good market for bunkhouses and class As seem to be so far behind trailers (both 5ers and bumper pulls) in terms of options for families. I'm actually quite surprised the 3950 / Damon Outlaw 'loft' idea hasn't been more popular. I'd really like to see a combination of both designs in use; move the ACs forward and raise the rear roof like the Outlaw and drop the floor into the basement like the 3950 (not sure if it would all work together but I think it's possible for a longer gasser (where they often have long rear overhangs) and maybe even for a DP).
Old 11-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #9

Don't have the 3950 but do have the 4153(Toyhauler) with 65,000 miles. If you drive a ME(Mid-Engine) you may never want any other type of RV chassis. There are many other AllStar floor plans that would work well for a family as the rear room(garage) can be setup as a second bedroom etc.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:29 AM   #10

Thank you all for the advice it was a big help. I picked up our new to us 3950 yesterday and am bringing it back to Denver as we speak from NC.

After my first 1100 miles I have to say I am loving the mid-engine. We (two of my friends and I) drove the fleetwood (F53) from Denver to NC none stop, spent the night in the AllStar on the dealer lot and are doing the same back home. I have to say it is a much nicer drive back.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congratulations welcome to the Newmar family and a safe ride home, enjoy.