Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #15

Thanks for everyone's advice. All sounds very reasonable and doable. It seems like almost everyone is running a DP. Do you feel that it is a mistake to go with the 8.1 gasser? I know the fuel mileage wil not be good but my Duramax does not get just great mileage (11 mpg)pulling my Air Stream.
I tried to look at the placard on the weights, etc. that was inside the cabinet door but the previous owner had installed something over part of it and all I could get was the Vin # and the dry weight of 18,140#. Not sure where I can look up the specs to get the other info. May call Newmar tomorrow with the Vin # and see what I can find out. Shouldn't they be able to tell me if the recalls have been taken care of?

25' Airstream
Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #16

They(Newmar)may be able to, ask the dealer if he would give you the name and telephone number of the previous owner and you could talk first hand about any concerns you may have about the purchase. Ed.S
Old 09-27-2007, 02:00 AM   #17

Dmax

I would definitely get the coach weighed before getting too serious. I would also "suspect" that the dealer may have been the one who covered up the weight info in the cabinet. We love our Mountain Aire, but all the nicities in it make it a very heavy coach. The Newmar / Mountain Aire quality is excellent. I can count the issues we've had on one hand and Newmar took care of them quickly. I don't feel at all sorry about the 8.1 engine and Allyson comination. I'm passing many diesels in the mountains so power is not an issue. The issue is carrying capacity. To reiterate, you also would not be able to tow as a heavy a trailer as you mentioned. The hitch is rated at 5,000 lbs and even if you beefed the hitch up, the rest of the coach is only rated for a MAX of 26,000 lbs. The brakes, suspension etc are not designed to handle any more than that. To go over the 26,000 opens the door for potential legal and insurance hassles in case of an accident. Not a risk I'd be willing to take.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:47 AM   #18

I don't think the dealer covered up the placard on purpose in this case. It is spice type rack but you never know. I have been trying to trace down some specs on the '02 and they are hard to find. I think from what I have found out, they are about what you are saying. Dry is 18,140, carrying capacity is about 22,000 and grose is 26,000. And I agree that what I want to carry is much to heavy. I need to rethink the pulling issues. I may need to pass this one up until I can make some changes in what I want to take along. Ideally, I would like to pull a flat bed type trailer with two 4 wheelers and a jeep. This may put me into a much higher horsepower unit which I don't want to shell out the coins for at this time. My other choice would be to pull my pickup with one of my 4 wheelers in the bed. But this looks out of the question also because of the weight issue. Just seems like I can't get from here to where I want to be without throwing down some major coins. Thanks

25' Airstream
Old 09-27-2007, 05:30 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dmax:
Thanks for everyone's advice. All sounds very reasonable and doable. It seems like almost everyone is running a DP. Do you feel that it is a mistake to go with the 8.1 gasser? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO, I feel it's a mistake to buy a gas coach greater than 35' unless you get the W24 gas chassis. And, the W24 did not come out until 2005.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:11 AM   #20

Tom, this one is a 34'. Any other feelings on it?

25' Airstream
Old 09-27-2007, 07:09 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Like Jack said you should get coach weight 34' long you will pickup some additional towing weight compared to the 37' most of us have.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #22

A very nice guy at the factory said that the coach weighed in at 18,260 and had a gross weight of 28,260. That was a couple thousand more than I expected.

25' Airstream
Old 09-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #23

Dmax

There's a mistake there somewhere. We've all been assuming that the rig you're looking at is on the Workhorse W22 chassis. This chassis (w/o) trailer or toad has a gross weight of 22,000 lbs. The guy at the factory had to be mistaken because he's saying you could carry 6,260 lbs more than that. Not possible. Even with a trailer or toad hooked on your max gross weight is 26,000.

You're probably correct in passing on this coach if it's necessary to carry all that you've described. You're definitely getting into diesel territory now. I tow a 2000 Jeep Wrangler (which weighs about 3800 lbs) four wheels down and I'm running about 25,500 with holding tanks empty and only a quarter tank of fresh water. We knew the weight issue when we ordered the Mountain Aire and after 4 years we would do it again. I've traveled over half a millionn miles on a motorcycle and I think that's taught me to pack light. It's a great coach, but with all the luxuries Newmar puts in it's a very heavy coach.

Jack

Old 09-27-2007, 01:06 PM   #24

I am guessing the guy is going on the info we gave him in that the hitch is labeled as a 10,000# hitch. He said it was definitely 28260 if the hitch says 10k. I guess it is possible that the owner had it changed. I do know that he pulled a small car. He also left the tow bar on the unit. It was a Blue Ox. You know, after thinking about that just now, it was the tow bar that was labeled 10k and not the actual receiver on the coach. I could see where the receiver had been reinforced with braces. Thanks for pointing that out. I think I am beginning to feel better about passing this one up. Thanks for everyone's feed back. This is what makes this a great site.

25' Airstream
Old 09-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #25

I think you are right about needing to move up to a diesel. That brings up another couple of questions. I knew the gas mileage would not be good on the gasser. Can you give me an idea of what can be expected from a diesel and how much horsepower would you reccomend as a starting point. I don't think I would want one in the 250/275 range and makes me wonder even about the 300/350. The gasser is rated at 340 but not near the torque of a diesel. I hate to drag this thread out, but I am trying to get a grasp on things. Thanks again.

25' Airstream
Old 09-27-2007, 03:48 PM   #26

Dmax

Sorry I can't be any help on a diesel. The only recommendation I would make is continue to be concerned about the weight situation. Even though a diesel has more torque than a gasser, you still have the potential of suspension and braking systems that could limit the gross weight the chassis is rated for. I have seen some diesels that have a smaller weight capacity than my gasser. I'm sure someone will be able to give you some good advice on how big a diesel and the info you're looking for.

Jack

Old 09-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your on the right path 300-350 range is near where you want to be in maybe your price range.
If you haven't looked at dealers near you some that are posted do have coachs 2000-2002 KS or MA that may fit your bill. I found some nice looking coachs DP's dealers near you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote