Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2007, 01:39 AM   #1

We are looking at an '02 and would need to make a decision about it in the next couple of days. Would appreciate any feedback. Gas mileage on the 8.1? Any major issues to look out for? Should I avoid it because it has 49k miles and find one with lesser miles. Thanks

25' Airstream
Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2007, 01:39 AM   #2

We are looking at an '02 and would need to make a decision about it in the next couple of days. Would appreciate any feedback. Gas mileage on the 8.1? Any major issues to look out for? Should I avoid it because it has 49k miles and find one with lesser miles. Thanks

25' Airstream
Old 09-25-2007, 02:21 AM   #3

Dmax, very good coach I had one then bought a 2005 model Workhorse, milage is not a concern just make sure the brake upgrade was done and instrument cluster upgrade was also done, I never got any better than 7.7-7.9 on mine. Ed.S
Old 09-25-2007, 02:25 AM   #4

Also check the NCC, it was very low on the MAs!
Old 09-25-2007, 04:56 AM   #5

It is at a dealer so not sure I can check the brake and cluster work. Also, hate to sound to stupid, but what is the CCC? After reading some of the posts on here, leaves me a little concerned about the quality of the coach. They are asking top dollar for it according to the N.A.D.A. wholesale book and am concerned about being upside down in it if it is not a sound unit and need to get rid of it or upgrade. Thanks for the input.

25' Airstream
Old 09-25-2007, 05:02 AM   #6

Ed-Do you feel you are under powered pulling your Jeep? I would like to pull a large enclosed trailer loaded with 4 wheelers or possibly my pickup. Gross weight is around 8000 lbs. for each one.

25' Airstream
Old 09-25-2007, 05:29 AM   #7

Dmax,
We have an 2002 Mountain Aire 3778, and are very pleased with the coach. The things I would look for are.
1. Brake Recall completed. This is mandatory and if it was properly reported you can get a completion date from workhorse.
2. Refrigerator recall completed. If equipped with a Dometic Refrigerator. This is mandatory, your dealer can tell if this is required and has been completed.
3. Have the shocks been replaced. The '02 came with wimpy shocks.
4. Original tires? Check date code, wear and signs of cracking.
Don't be concerned with the digital display update. The '02 did not have this feature.
Your biggest concern should be the 8000 lb trailer you want to tow. You would be 3000 lbs over max towing capacity for the coach. You really need a coach with a 10,000 lb tow capacity, which puts you into the DP class.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #8

NCC is your net carry capacity which is the weight all all occupants, water, sewage, food, blongings, tongue weight of towed vehicle,etc. Sounds like you are just getting into a Class A, if so would spend some time determining what your needs are to be able to purchase the prduct that is best for you.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:29 AM   #9

Thanks. The CCC threw me off.

25' Airstream
Old 09-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #10

Dmax
You need to pay close attention to the weight of the coach. I have an 04 Mountain Aire on the Workhorse W22 chassis. This means that I have a max weight of 22,000 lbs for the coach and a max of 26,000 lbs with a trailer or toad. I'm normally running the coach at about 21,500 which means I only have 4500 available for a triler/toad. Try and get the coach weighed to see where you're at. Also look in the kitchen cabinets. Newmar normally would put the weights of the coach on a sticker glued to one of the inside doors.
As far as quality, the Mountain Aire is definitely a high quality, luxury coach. We're extremely happy with ours. We're also disappointed that Newmar has decided to drop the high end gas coaches. A big mistake. I look for mine to become a classic.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi DMax--I have an '02 37' Mountain Aire. I've had for a year and a half. We love it. It is a quality coach. The other advice you got is right on. I can add a few comments:
1. Have the dealer put two sheet metal screws into the lower fan shroud to secure the shroud firmly to the support bracket. It has flimsly clips that can fail-- end result is a fan blade going through the radiator and AC condenser, especially pulling in the mountains.
2. Install a zerk fitting on the brake master cylinder vertical transfer tube. Then grease it well. Click on the "find" box on this forum and type in "zerk fitting". It will show you pictures and tell exactly how to do it.
3. If your couch howls while driving at highway speeds, its the grill. Again, type in "howling" noise, read my threads on how to fix it.
4. My 5 amber lights on the top, front cap all leaked in the rain. I had to re-seal all five.
If you have any questions, click on my mame and send me a personal message. We can talk on the phone if you like.
Good luck,
Max H
Old 09-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry-- My #3 item should read "coach".

Max H
'02, 37' Newmar Mountain Aire, W-22
'06 Malibu
In Maine for two more weeks, then going south
Old 09-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
DMax welcome to the Newmar forum you have received some good advice from fellow Newmar owners.
If you go to the Topic with NEWMAR DEALERS AND 2008'S up top, there are some links to dealers that you can lookup there used stock and for prices of the 02 MA.
Good luck in your hunt.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #14

Dmax, never did I think that I was under powered, but you have to remember you will have limitations, I out pulled many diesel pushers up grades.
Depending on weight of trailer plus weight of contents on the 2002 Mountain Aire I wouldn't exceed 5000# pounds. Ed.S