Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #29

Well, as far as integrated lock systems, i do not trust them very much either. Only for a quick stop at the grocery or the bar. Since i full time, my bikes are always exposed but inside a bike cover. If the area I am staying in is not secure or has a history of thefts (SLC-KOA), I use my home depot 3/8 inch hardened steel chain inserted into an old inter tube and a big padlock. Gonna need a torch or some serious bolt cutters to get through that. The cables on the Kuat and others like that you can cut with nippers pretty fast. With over 25K worth of carbon on my rack I try not to take chances.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
There is definitely a pounding administered. The bikes have the worst of it; I wouldn’t worry about any of these racks really.

None of the tray designs provide a totally rigid way to secure the bikes (they all count on compressing at least one tire), and the bikes do wobble a little. So you need to make sure you can keep them far enough from each other, or you need to accept that some paint is going to get scraped up. Part of it simply depends on what kind of bikes you have.

This is not true. The tray rack that I have keeps the bikes separated from each other and the compression brackets slide down onto each of the the bike’s cross bars. They do wobble in the rack at all, unlike the hanging type of bike rack.
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimlimike View Post
We are looking at taking our bikes south this winter and was hoping some folks might have some recommendations for us.

Some " would likes" are

lockable for bikes

very little flex in the rack when bouncing down the road

since we have a rear engine hatch would like something that swings away for checking oil, etc

something that carries the bikes high enough not to interest theives

Any suggestions or experiences for me to learn from

Thanks

Mike

Mike-

We use the Thule EasyFold:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...-xt-2-_-903202

Its not cheap but it meets your requirements. We chose it because our e-bikes are heavy (50 pounds each) and we wanted something robust. No problems in three years of travel with the rack mounted above the toad via a split-drop hitch.
WardSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
This is the one we use. Can add an extension to carry 4 bikes.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...---2-_-1691037
Old 08-07-2018, 05:56 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I forgot! Pictures...

You can see how our Carbon gets stored inside on the Saris TRAP. Same photo shows the 1UpUSA rack swung down for gate access.

The other photo is mountain bikes. We normally use our yeo bike configuration...but here added onto for an extra bike. You can configure your 1UpUSA system as needed from 1 to 4 bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_082702.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	519.2 KB
ID:	214200   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160912_083152.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	214201  

Old 08-07-2018, 06:02 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Thats some serious looking bike racks and suggestions. We don't pull a vehicle so the rack has to fit on the coach
Old 08-07-2018, 06:17 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimlimike View Post
Thats some serious looking bike racks and suggestions. We don't pull a vehicle so the rack has to fit on the coach
We started with one of those stacked receivers...with the rack in the upper receiver and our tow dolly on the lower. We used our Thule rack back then...and put a cover over the bikes. I would consider the possibility that in the future you might like to pull a vehicle.

Not a good picture...but our Downtube folders are sitting under the bedroom SO. Downtube offers an integral hub 8 sp model....which wasn't offered the year we purchased ours. The advantage is...no matter how much you knock them around...since there is no derailleur...it doesn't get knocked out of tune. Some friends of ours purchased those last year and love them.

And my travel bike. I don't let this one stay out of sight. I keep it in my hotel room, or next to me folded inside a restaurant (usually outdoor type, since nobody likes to smell someone that's just ridden a bike 10 miles)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160512_093757.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	214207   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180710_063040.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	214208  

Name:	20150705_235029.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	214209  
Old 08-07-2018, 09:25 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
This is not true. The tray rack that I have keeps the bikes separated from each other and the compression brackets slide down onto each of the the bike’s cross bars. They do wobble in the rack at all, unlike the hanging type of bike rack.

Sorry, typo.....they “don’t” wobble in the rack at all. Now, if my bikes were $1,000++ each, I might consider spending $600+ on a rack. But for my 2 $270 bikes, this one has been great.
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #37

C.Martin, nice way to transport your Brompton (on top of that suitcase).
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #38

I’ve been looking for a rack for my Wrangler and one I like the best is the Rocky Mount Backstage Swingaway. You ca see a video on etrailers.com. The problem is that they don’t warranty a toad or rv mount due to lateral sway. Most of the others mentioned in this string have the same restriction. Call the customer service number for the racks you like and verify that they are rv compatible. There are rv specific racks that will work, depending on your mount preference.
AZ520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:35 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
I should have been clearer that I was referring to the racks that have been discussed above (Kuat, Thule, 1up). These are the big three that are super beefy and can carry most any bike. Doing it this way prevents a compression point from having to be up against a painted surface, and crossbars are notoriously finicky anyway, because they come in so many different shapes and sizes and angles. There are lots of bikes that don't even have a top tube.

But, you are right: such a mechanism ought to wobble less.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:56 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
C.Martin, nice way to transport your Brompton (on top of that suitcase).
Only bike I own that fits thru a metal detector in an airport and also in many overhead bins... Unfortunately, agents go nuts when they see it. I don't carry it much anymore...it would have to be a city pair where I don't deadhead, (so it stays in the cockpit with me), I don't have multiple schleps thru customs, the layover is long enough to actually ride, and in a safe place where I wont get mugged for the bike. Rules out most places I fly these days.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #41

4 bike THULE
miamibill95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
E-Bike

I am getting a foldable E-Bike that will easily fit into the basement. Must have full sized wheels and some suspension to ease the old back.

Bike racks can be invisible when backing and awkward, especially if you are toading. And, tickets to those who cover the licence plate from viewing with a rack. Automatic license plate recognition by cruisers now makes this inevitable.

Exact bike not established yet, but it must be min 40V, and have a 350+Watt brushless motor, 500W preferred. I prefer the rear wheel motor vs the center mount, and prefer the ones with pedals. Yep keep a wary eye open for no pedals, if so stay away.

Can get a decent one for $500+shipping.

Happy motoring!

Tags
bike rack