Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2019, 09:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Looking for Demco tow bar feedback

Appreciate any pro and con comments on the DEMCO Excali-bar II and/or Dominator tow bars. Looking for feedback on ease of hook up, are the releases truly non-binding, long term quality, maintenance experiences, and any other insights you have had.
24thrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2019, 09:46 PM   #2

I have had a Demco system for five years over two Motorhomes. I bought the Excaliber, Jeep hookups, and the Demco kit of electrical cords. I have never had a problem. It has worked flawlessly. I keep it greased and have never had any binding. The releases on the sides of the arms work very well.Very easy to hook up and store when not in use. I think you would be happy. Good Luck
STORMY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think you can't go wrong with any of the tow bars Demco, Blue Ox or Roadaster. My first was a Roadmaster and I've stayed with that brand. One thing about Roadmaster, they typically have a booth at large rallies and other RV events like Quartzsite. At one rally, we heard a noise at the rear of coach early in the morning. I went outside to find a Roadmaster Service Employee, lubing and cleaning my tow bar. At Quartzsite this year, I took my 7 year old tow bar to their service booth because I thought it was getting a little sloppy. They replaced the stinger (part that slides into your hitch) and all bushings for $150.00, making it like new. It's a nice service they offer.

I will say that Roadmaster is usually a little more expensive, but I've had two over 15 years and they've always performed flawlessly.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:38 AM   #4

I bought a used Excali-bar (first version) a couple years ago. I ordered bushings to rebuild it before using it - their CS is good. I use everything Demco - light kit, base plates and bar - all work great.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:51 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I bought a Demco Excali-bar tow bar and base plate new after I bought my toad, and the base plate fit great to the car, the tow bar works very good, and I have had no problems! I bought new, just to eliminate having troubles with buying used, you just never know? Bought it from PPL, they had the best price at the time!
Rail! [emoji266]
Old 03-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #6

We have a DEMCO Dominator tow bar which has serviced us great. I was looking around at the RV dealers here in town at the tow parts offered. I found one dealer was remodeling their show room and offered me their demo tow bar for half price. Turns out this was one of the first Dominator tow bars made. Been in their showroom “several years”

I used it several years. I took it apart and was cleaning it found a bolt loose and was wearing out a selve. Send a email to demco to inquire about the part to repair the tow bar. Demco offered to rebuild the the tow NC if I would ship it back to them.

Sent it back to them they contacted me and told me the tow bar was one of their first production years. The new tow bars had several modifications and up grades. So they were sending me a new tow bar.

I got a new tow bar for shipping costs. DEMCO has a life time warranty

I am very happy with DEMCO and their products. I have no problems hooking up or unhooking. I don’t think you can beat a DEMCO towing set up.
Rudy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:35 AM   #7

I have had the Demco Dominator for about 4 years and love the ease of hook up and detach. They have the safety cables attached to the tow bar so you do not have to bother storing them separately and it makes it very handy to hook up to your car. I also have the Air Force One braking system so hook up or detach of the car just takes few minutes. My wife sets the car into tow mode while I hook up and we finish about the same time.
2007 Newell #815 (Downsized to Foretravel)
Full Timer
valentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #8

I have had the lower end of the Demco line Commander model tow bar for my Jeep Wrangler toad for over 3 and one half years. I have had no problems as long as I keep things (especially the attachment pins) lubed. When I decided to purchase it, I liked the fact that the attachment ends on the Jeep baseplate side of the assembly where heavy flat tabs rather than hollow tubes on some other designs. To me the tubes looked more fragile and subject to plugging if you use your toad for off roading. I have not seen nearly as many Demco tow bars being used as other manufacturers. I did contact their customer service dept. with a question and their service seemed fine. I am sure that other major manufacturers such as Blue Ox and Roadmaster would work well too.
RetireeKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I recently had to get a new tow bar and had to make the decision too. I had a Blue Ox Aventa II for 12 years without any issues. Went to the FMCA rally recently and tried to get Blue Ox to take a look and see if mine was still road worthy...but they wouldn’t even look at it and told me to get a new one. I was not very happy with that answer, so walked around the exhibit hall and looked at the Roadmaster and Demco models. I like them both and would now take either over the Blue Ox. I ended up with the Roadmaster Nighthawk as I really liked the cable management it had. All three vendors offered $150 toward trade, but Roadmaster even came to the rig to change the “ears” to fit my Blue Ox base plate, changed our the tail light plug on the front of the car (to match the Roadmaster plug) and stayed around to make sure it all worked as needed. Really good service...

I think they all make good products, although I think Blue Ox is a bit behind in features and customer service.

My 2 cents.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:34 PM   #10

I have used the Demco Dominator for the past five years and I am very pleased with their product. The arms remain elevated for easy hookup and this is the only tow bar with a built-in 1 1/2 inch rise or drop, eliminating the need for an adapter.

My previous tow bar was a Roadmaster Sterling. It is a good tow bar but heavier than the Dominator and the arms would stick making them very difficult to retract. The arms required regular (monthly) cleaning and re-lubing to keep from sticking—a pain.
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:54 AM   #11

Cant tell you yet. Just got the Commander as well as the baseplate for my CRV. I liked the fact that the car's bumper did not have to be removed to install the Demco baseplate. I'll check back in a few months.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
I recently had to get a new tow bar and had to make the decision too. I had a Blue Ox Aventa II for 12 years without any issues. Went to the FMCA rally recently and tried to get Blue Ox to take a look and see if mine was still road worthy...but they wouldn’t even look at it and told me to get a new one. I was not very happy with that answer, so walked around the exhibit hall and looked at the Roadmaster and Demco models. I like them both and would now take either over the Blue Ox. I ended up with the Roadmaster Nighthawk as I really liked the cable management it had. All three vendors offered $150 toward trade, but Roadmaster even came to the rig to change the “ears” to fit my Blue Ox base plate, changed our the tail light plug on the front of the car (to match the Roadmaster plug) and stayed around to make sure it all worked as needed. Really good service...

I think they all make good products, although I think Blue Ox is a bit behind in features and customer service.

My 2 cents.

I agree with you. I think blue ox is riding the wave it created years ago but as you know waves soon fade away or crash on the beach. Their customer service stinks at Perry last year.
I came back to my rig and my buddy was packed behind me and I noticed two guys walking around his rig. So I asked what’s up. They identified themselves as service tecks with roadmaster and servicing and checking rigs. My buddy walked up about that time and they told him the same thing. He told them they must have the wrong rig. They informed him they where checking all roadmaster hitched. It was a free service.
1dutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
All - This thread got me to thinking. My TB is 10 years old, a Blue Ox Aventa LX rated at 10K. I tow a 2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited, at 4600 lbs., and it has stayed home the last two years. Suspect I got 40,000 miles on the tow bar. So contacted BO about having it rebuilt, they sent me the names of 3 places who supposedly do it, one place is impossible to talk to. The other two don't due rebuilds. BO naturally wanted me to buy new one, but will pay shipping both ways and rebuild it for 150.00. First is this good price? Second, he did say if it does not check out, they will call and let me know. I am not in the market for 1000 for a new one, this used to be a service they offered and now it seems that they want to sell me a new one, but mine is all steel, even the rubber boots are still whole and good. Why are we RV folks getting a runaround. I would feel better with a check/rebuild, but "having to buy new every 10 years kinds sucks"!
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the original Excalibar, it has been bullet proof. I recommended it to several buddies. They bought the newer Excalibar II and all are happy with it.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow