Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looking for some help.

I plan on writing a thread on kitchen slides we have had many recently with problems with them.
Newmar produced their first slide in early 90's the LR slide than the bedroom slide and first kitchen slide was in a DSDP in 2003.

What I am looking for is any pictures some of you may have with the motors and cog rails, than change to motor and chain driven with drive shaft, than now with two motors with KIB control for two motor control, which I believe is the same KIB CONTROL used for Newmars first FWS produced in 2013 of Newmar Design. In 2016-17 Newmar moved to the HWH designed slide for FWS.

I have many threads to condense of people describing, their kitchen slide operation, sight unseen, pictures may help me and others to see what your talking about.

If people with kitchen slides can take pictures of just the internals of a slide that have no problems with there's that would be great, looking for pic of the two guide bolts used on some slides and what ever else may apply to a kitchen slide..

The hardware maybe concealed I do not expect you to tear things apart for pictures in that case, because I have never seen the bottoms of a kitchen slide, I do not know what can be provided.

I have never owned a kitchen slide or have seen one, plus its operation, I have only learned about them from you all and your distributions or from com_net links.

So with your help maybe we can help others understand how a kitchen slide works thru the years of production changes.
Thanks for your help.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #2

As a 22 plus year Newmar owner who has experienced it all with slides and came up with some improvements from what our Newmar coaches had, I most say except for the bolts holding the motor assembly on to slide drive assembly our 18 London Aire kitchen is a noticeable improvement. One big thing Newmar did was add another motor to drive the slide. The bolts holding the slide out motors on has to be the big issue. We have already in the first 3 months of ownership have redone all bolts holding slide out motors on for both the Kitchen and bedroom slides because they were all lose. On our 04 Essex with the ramp for the driver side slide had over 50 hours of repair time over the 14 years we owned it. It is a big slide that had on motor to go up a foot long ramp which was just over loaded. Must also mention the electric automatic locking arms on 4 slides on 04 Essex were a issue many times with opening and closing slide out. When not working you couldn't open or close the slide which happened numerous tomes.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #3

Tom, would you say the 04 Essex slide was the size of the single slide in your '97 LA? And it only had one motor? Wow.

Reason I ask is my single slide has two motors (I just replaced them and the rollers).
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #4

I had some trouble following the OP. Did you say Newmar installed the first kitchen slide in 2003? I have a 2001 MA with the long x shallow kitchen slide. It carries the galley and the LR couch together, but doesn't extend far enough to move the couch entirely outside of the coach's wall line.

An interesting feature of it is the center post (between the rails) that carries the wiring. The post is articulated -- it folds as the slide closes. When open, the post is only partly unfolded. It looks as though the slide could extend another foot before it is completely unfolded.

Oh -- and both of my slides leak along the forward edge of the seal.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
I had some trouble following the OP. Did you say Newmar installed the first kitchen slide in 2003? I have a 2001 MA with the long x shallow kitchen slide. It carries the galley and the LR couch together, but doesn't extend far enough to move the couch entirely outside of the coach's wall line.

An interesting feature of it is the center post (between the rails) that carries the wiring. The post is articulated -- it folds as the slide closes. When open, the post is only partly unfolded. It looks as though the slide could extend another foot before it is completely unfolded.

Oh -- and both of my slides leak along the forward edge of the seal.
Yes I saw that floor plan living slide and kitchen, I had that slide in my 98 KS, looking under slide is it a rail with holes for a cog wheel with nipples to move slide in and out on drivers side, I am looking now for the passenger side that they now are offering.
Your locks are they the manual locks and do you use them, will compress the inner seals to stop water from damaging your floor.
Looking at your slide bottom edge of slide when open lift the rubber seal and you should see a clump of sealant on inside bottom edge of slide to block water from following down that edge on to floor. also make sure slide seal is laying flat against the slide wall with no folds to allow water to get behind the seal.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:46 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tom can you see the two motors for that kitchen slide and maybe pictures of there placement. What year did they start using two motors?
Use to be chain driven with one motor with came shaft.
Is the control for two motors the same one KIB used for their DESIGNED FWS back in 2013.

RKins yes one motor for LR slide on my 98 KS and 99 MA gassers, the KS had the motor installed behind the LP tank exposed to the weather and road salts, fun time, MA was in lower compartment.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:28 PM   #7

Took some pics under my kitchen slide of the power cables and the channel they run in.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	605.4 KB
ID:	255007Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	562.3 KB
ID:	255008
Old 07-28-2019, 05:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks rlott2k, do you have one motor and chain driven slide or two motors?
Old 07-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #9

Looking for some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Thanks rlott2k, do you have one motor and chain driven slide or two motors?
I can only see 1 motor with a large bar going through it. Cog driven I think. Hope these help. Pics are from rear to front. There’s a large plastic box covering each end of the bar.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0083.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	592.7 KB
ID:	255020Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0082.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	441.2 KB
ID:	255021Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	514.9 KB
ID:	255022Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0085.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	526.0 KB
ID:	255023Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0086.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	700.5 KB
ID:	255024
Old 07-28-2019, 07:41 PM   #10

Will have pictures and history tomorrow morning.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Yes I saw that floor plan living slide and kitchen, I had that slide in my 98 KS, looking under slide is it a rail with holes for a cog wheel with nipples to move slide in and out on drivers side, I am looking now for the passenger side that they now are offering.
Your locks are they the manual locks and do you use them, will compress the inner seals to stop water from damaging your floor.
Looking at your slide bottom edge of slide when open lift the rubber seal and you should see a clump of sealant on inside bottom edge of slide to block water from following down that edge on to floor. also make sure slide seal is laying flat against the slide wall with no folds to allow water to get behind the seal.
Thanks. I'll look a the slide rails and underneath stuff tomorrow when it's light out and report back. I do have the manual lock (hinged bar that pushes straight) on the forward edge of the LR slide. I have not found the bedroom one yet. I'm working in the bedroom now -- tearing out the carpet and assessing the leak damage. I'll look for the lock. My plan is to pergo the floor in the bedroom and use cedar and pergo in the closet. Non-skid throw rugs then, where needed.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:54 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a bedroom project by SPK64 of bedroom he pull apart, he has many other threads at end of first page of QT's #3.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:50 AM   #13

Some history on Newmar slide outs. The first slide outs were in gas class A motor homes for Newmar around 1988. By '92 diesel motor homes had a slide out but not a flat floor. In '93 the flat floor slide was engineered by Newmar, which again was a first. Around '98 or '99 bedroom slides were starting to be available. By '02 and '03 Newmar had coaches with 4 slides and we purchased our 2nd Newmar, an '04 Essex, which all had 4 slides.
The dual motor slide outs were used on the '08 King Aire with their full wall slide necessary for such a large slide. In 2016 Newmar made a major change going to the full wall slide powered by an HWH hydraulic system, which also included the STAR chassis for the extra weight. It was at the same time, at least on high line coaches, that the kitchen slide had a dual electric motor assembly added. The dual motor kitchen slide has 1 motor in the first cabinet and the second motor in the third cabinet, which pictures are included. Over the many years of Newmar ownership, doing seminars and assisting owners the big weak link to the slide out problems has been the 4 bolts that hold the motor to the slide out assembly. As stated earlier, our '18 London Aire had both the kitchen slide motor bolts loose, and even worse in the bedroom where the washers were too large and bolts for the motor were about to pull through the washers, which would have allowed the motor to become disconnected from the drive for the slide. The Kitchen slide out motors are under plastic covers.

----------------------------- NEWMAR SERVICE ---------------------

As a 22 plus year Newmar owner who has experienced it all with slides and came up with some improvements from what our Newmar coaches had, I most say except for the bolts holding the motor assembly on to slide drive assembly our 18 London Aire kitchen is a noticeable improvement. One big thing Newmar did was add another motor to drive the slide. The bolts holding the slide out motors on has to be the big issue. We have already in the first 3 months of ownership have redone all bolts holding slide out motors on for both the Kitchen and bedroom slides because they were all lose. On our 04 Essex with the ramp for the driver side slide had over 50 hours of repair time over the 14 years we owned it. It is a big slide that had on motor to go up a foot long ramp which was just over loaded. Must also mention the electric automatic locking arms on 4 slides on 04 Essex were a issue many times with opening and closing slide out. When not working you couldn't open or close the slide which happened numerous times. Newmar Man
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0497.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	255072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0499.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	255073  

Old 07-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Excellent write up Tom thank you, I will most likely copy and paste and may do two threads on history of their slides and info on the kitchen slide.

With your two motors you have a duel motor control is it the same one used for Newmars designed FWS USED IN 2013 and the gas FWS now, KBI I believe its named.

Older KS had two guide bolts, mounted to coach slide frame opening, at each end of slide to guide the slide strait out slide opening, do you have these also?

Your pictures I think your showing the motors my eye site is not good, in pictures previous to you, 2008 had one motor with shaft and two cog wheels inserting into plate strip on ceiling of compartment or the slide platform for a kitchen slide, your motor must have a cog wheel of some type mounted to it to move the slide plate.

Will start to write up thread and wait for someone with pictures of the chain driven kitchen slide and insert later.

Thanks again Tom very useful.

There was a time they used chains to move slide plate and one motor with came shaft with sprockets to move slide plate, do not know that time line of that setup.,